Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

Told to stay quiet by who exactly?

I've no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Beasty wrote: »
    What would you do with ferries? What if we then see food shortages?

We'll have to open the organic soy beans that have been in the cupboard for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

JaCrispy wrote: »
    The fatality rate is currently between 3-4%. Reading some of the garbage in this thread is more damaging to my health than COVID-19

And it's ~0.2% for healthy people under 40.

The risk is to older people, and those with preexisting health issues.

My main concern is possible disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

My only concern is possible disruption.

My concern is the older people in my life who have health conditions being okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Told to stay quiet by who exactly?

By feckin nobody of course. Bloody scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

turbbo wrote: »
    4% is still massive thats 1 dead in every 50 ffs!! I personally don't believe this will happen - but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the people who are confirmed to have COVID-19. It is widely accepted that many many more people have already been infected but are only displaying minor symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

My main concern is possible disruption.

FFS thats still a massive group of people! Over 40 and not healthy.
    It will be more than disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It's in Tenerife so it'll be in every big city in Europe in a week I reckon

4% is still massive thats 1 dead in every 50 ffs!! I personally don't believe this will happen - but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last time I did a math, 1 in 50 was 2%...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Is is possible to be infected and never know you had it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Drumpot wrote: »
    "These people (China) really care about their population" Dr Bruce Aylward

In short he explained what sort of resources he saw himself and that you are actually safer to get the virus in China then anywhere else because they are investing huge resources for their people.

Still Live now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

Mindset issues:

- Mindset Shift
    - Communities accepting Quarantine and isolation
    - Materially, are we ready to isolate that many people

"But we have to overcome it"..

this guy keeps on rambling rambling and rambling. :eek: tried to listen to him, not possible for 5 minutes.

think it's a tactic to get people in 5 minutes to only have the urge to run away from it and don't ask questions or getting anything from what he's saying..job done from the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That's the people who are confirmed to have COVID-19. It is widely accepted that many many more people have already been infected but are only displaying minor symptoms.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1232334790998753281?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    By feckin nobody of course. Bloody scaremongering.

Exactly, same as Examiner talking about 'senior sources', if i was told to stay silent id be shouting from the rooftops about it

gmisk wrote: »
    World war z?

Not seen that one...

Is it a good reference?

Minor symptoms over what period? Do those symptoms improve or get worse?
    There are a lot of questions that we simply don't know yet. What we do know is preventative measures work and stop the spread.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

How can you find evidence of undetected mild cases? Isn't that a complete contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

WHO's Bruce Aylward says that the #Covid19 mission did not find evidence of lots of undetected mild cases. If that's true, the severity of the illness is what is being seen now.

IgCorcaigh post this not 2 pages back?

macwal wrote: »
    Last time I did a math, 1 in 50 was 2%...

Feck I meant 2 in every 50 woops :rolleyes:
    May aswell break it down to 1 in every 25 when I'm there now.

mortality rate said to be higher in people with poor numeric skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

macwal wrote: »
    Not seen that one...

Is it a good reference?
    For that posters ideas yes.
    The book is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Beasty wrote: »
    What would you do with ferries? What if we then see food shortages?

I think the best course of action is plan for it spreading and how we are going to address food shortages etc, if we arent going to take any meaningful action to prevent the spread.

It looks like there is no way of stopping this, just slowing it down. Thats what I take from WHO's message. So the common sense approach would be to start setting up the infrastructure (including communication) that you are going to set up.

In that WHO conference he was talking about "War" and in time of War you move resources to priority areas. So prepare for the disease and how you plan on getting it under control. Include in that process of making sure that people can self isolate ( and get food/etc) and preferably get back to work or normal life within a few weeks.

Apparantly "The data that we have suggests that there is not this massive Asymptomatic transmission" . . "But remember we have only known this disease for 7 weeks".

Asked why he is not wearing a mask "I dont have Covis19 and I never had any exposure, no contact with patients or contacts, we washed our hands every few seconds, he wore masks when we were there". "We had our meals in our own closed rooms. If we went to the CDC, they had one person at a table and you had to shout at each other." In short they kept 2 metres apart distance . . Very Interesting to listen to. "Because I was going out through Beijing, when I got off the train, I had a swab and it was negative". " It comes back to a science and evidence based approach to what we are doing". "I am not going to put a mask between me and people here if I dont think there is a risk"

"Only 4% of Covid19 cases have a runny nose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

In fairness, hes answering all questions, really worth listening to anybody who wants to here some informed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    WHO's Bruce Aylward says that the #Covid19 mission did not find evidence of lots of undetected mild cases. If that's true, the severity of the illness is what is being seen now.

IgCorcaigh post this not 2 pages back?

When asked to clarify, he want on to say this was in Wuhan specifically, and that the lack of additional cases being detected could be due to the success of the measures put in place there.

Minor symptoms over what period? Do those symptoms improve or get worse?
    There are a lot of questions that we simply don't know yet. What we do know is preventative measures work and stop the spread.

You're missing the point. The people who don't present at GPs or hospitals are not on the official "infected" lists. Regardless of the symptoms the number of infected people is most likely significantly higher than the official figures.

glasso wrote: »
    mortality rate said to be higher in people with poor numeric skills.
    I'm fupped so!

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think the best course of action is plan for it spreading and how we are going to address food shortages etc, if we arent going to take any meaningful action to prevent the spread.

It looks like there is no way of stopping this, just slowing it down. Thats what I take from WHO's message. So the common sense approach would be to start setting up the infrastructure (including communication) that you are going to set up.

In that WHO conference he was talking about "War" and in time of War you move resources to priority areas. So prepare for the disease and how you plan on getting it under control. Include in that process of making sure that people can self isolate ( and get food/etc) and preferably get back to work or normal life within a few weeks.

Apparantly "The data that we have suggests that there is not this massive Asymptomatic transmission" . . "But remember we have only known this disease for 7 weeks".

Asked why he is not wearing a mask "I dont have Covis19 and I never had any exposure, no contact with patients or contacts, we washed our hands every few seconds, he wore masks when we were there". "We had our meals in our own closed rooms. If we went to the CDC, they had one person at a table and you had to shout at each other." In short they kept 2 metres apart distance . . Very Interesting to listen to. "Because I was going out through Beijing, when I got off the train, I had a swab and it was negative". " It comes back to a science and evidence based approach to what we are doing". "I am not going to put a mask between me and people here if I dont think there is a risk"

"Only 4% of Covid19 cases have a runny nose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

In fairness, hes answering all questions, really worth listening to anybody who wants to here some informed information.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Bad news for those hoping for a widely available effective vaccine soon…

“Seventeen years after the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak and seven years since the first Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) case, there is still no coronavirus vaccine despite dozens of attempts to develop them.”

From an interesting long read on the possibility and difficulties in developing a coronavirus vaccine… from the South China Morning Post.
    There was no vaccine for Sars or Mers. Will there be one for the new coronavirus?

For the TLDR folks…. Probably 12 to 18 months away at a cost of 1 Billion US$

Bad news for those hoping for a widely available effective vaccine soon…

“Seventeen years after the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak and seven years since the first Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) case, there is still no coronavirus vaccine despite dozens of attempts to develop them.”

From an interesting long read on the possibility and difficulties in developing a coronavirus vaccine… from the South China Morning Post.
    There was no vaccine for Sars or Mers. Will there be one for the new coronavirus?

For the TLDR folks…. Probably 12 to 18 months away at a cost of 1 Trillion US$

There's no vaccine for either of them because they were contained and there's no money in it.

You're missing the point. The people who don't present at GPs or hospitals are not on the official "infected" lists. Regardless of the symptoms the number of infected people is most likely significantly higher than the official figures.

But not according to WHO..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

wakka12 wrote: »
    Things escalating quickly, first case in Switzerland
    https://www.20min.ch/ausland/news/story/Kreuzfahrtschiff-steht-vor-Japan-unter-Quarantaene-15911058
    Suspected cases in Slovakia, Romania, Slovenia

That would be the Milan connection, played gigs in Switzerland in 2001 a flight to Milan and just over the border.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement