Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

Have china extreme decisions helped stop spread ?

"Folks, time is everything in this disease. You can see the exponential growth. Days make a difference with a disease like this".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    LMFAO!!!!! best post of the day

I know, he has low numeric skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am immunocompromised BUT as I have no family or commitments etc I chose to live in solitude in a very remote place with no real human contact. My supplies are delivered to the gate and I gather them in later.

So I myself am safe; nearing 80 now.

I get very angry when folk make statements about only the old etc. and also concerned about any lockdown situation, and supplies we all need getting to old folk. There was a report from Kilkenny a week or so ago; a lady in her 70s, A van was delivering food to her, could get no answer so called the Gardai. When they finally broke in she had been dead a few days; surrounded by her pet cats . If there had not been that food delivery?

These are folk who have raised a generation. Whatever measures are put in place there must be care taken that old folk are not neglected, please .

Here on the island that is organised. A safety net is there and needs to be for everyone.

Im a bit horrified by the people reassuring themselves that only the old will die. How old is acceptable? What if theyre young but sick? Expendable too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

And what about kids? Surely children under two have very underdeveloped immune systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Cal04 wrote: »
    On a different note, due to travel to Germany in a few days, would you go or be inclined to cancel?

Why would you not go? Why are you looking for advice on an internet forum??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

On a different note, due to travel to Germany in a few days, would you go or be inclined to cancel?

Came back through Munich last night. Will let you know in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭strawdog

turbbo wrote: »
    Lot of ignorant posts alright - it's macho stuff like it's only killing the old and the sick - the truth of it is there are massive unknowns and more prevention is needed rather than the "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude the Irish are known for.

BTW do people that post ignorant $hit like that not have friends or relatives that are vulnerable to something like this?

Very concerned for those at-risk groups. Nevermind the actual risk, the mounting fear and anxiety that they must be experiencing must be something awful.

Like many I have people close to me who are in that bracket, working in a hospital I'm terrified of being the one to transmit it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

JDD wrote: »
    And what about kids? Surely children under two have very underdeveloped immune systems?

The complete lack of fatalities in very young people is a strange one all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That's it lads, I'm buying twelve loaves of Brennan's on the way home.
    I was doing my online shop earlier from Tesco, and Brennan's loaves were out of stock.

Other bread available though.

To what extent should other countries follow chinas approach?

"It was striking how organized and regimented use of TCM treatment. Physicians think the anti inflammatory of it helps. Observational data so not possible to make a judgement. Taking TCM actually helped with alot of the anxiety surrounding the disease" (I Dont understand this)

" It was a re purpose of the machinery of government as a response. What I saw in China, they had a task force, things had to get done. You have to define what part of society is doing what. Everybody in a society has to be involved."

"Can it be replicated elsewhere ? There is a disease spreading, people are concerned about it, there is evidecnce that countries can be masters of how it effects them. China didnt sit down. Other countries have to get ready. China did it , why cant other countries ? (paraphrased last bit)

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Covid-19 will see 2020's emissions be reduced by several percentage points compared to previous years. China's biggest source of emissions in some cities in recent weeks has been their Crematoriums which are flat out. The death toll within China is many many multiples of the official figure.

Liar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Don't ask me I can't even do simple maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

theguzman wrote: »
    Covid-19 will see 2020's emissions be reduced by several percentage points compared to previous years. China's biggest source of emissions in some cities in recent weeks has been their Crematoriums which are flat out. The death toll within China is many many multiples of the official figure.

We believe you ;)

Public health England will now test people with respiratory conditions even if they don’t meet the existing criteria re travel, etc.

Just in case there is a pattern.

"Lots of talk of psychological support for those who were sick and quarantined. This was as important a part of the solution as anything." " That sense of helplessness in a face of virus, science is incredible, we have seen a country take a war footbing in the absence of vaccine but its not going to work if a society is not highly sensitised to it. The average time from onset to when it breaks out is 15 days. You have to cut that right down, in China they have cut it down to 3 days, thats why the cases are dropping fast. They are choking off the virus ability to find susceptitles. Peopel want to know what is this thing. IS there anything we can do about this ? I have a family. The day you think you are ready you are not ready. YOu never feel completely ready. Countries have to prepare their population"

Folks, this is a superb Press conference. He is not from WHO.

If you really want to get some credible first hand information and not be arguing with people you disagree with in here, watch this. He is not speaking for WHO and he is actually going to brief WHO tomorrow.

This feels like a very informed update from somebody who knows what they are talking about. While the Chinese could easily of kept certain things from him, but this is as informed a feedback you are gonna get right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

depends on whether you want to or have to or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Public health England will now test people with respiratory conditions even if they don’t meet the existing criteria re travel, etc.

Just in case there is a pattern.

This is the best approach.
    Sometimes clusters will pop up with no obvious link to previous cases, and it would be very unwise to dismiss them due to a lack of a connection to a previous case.

Going forward, you should get tested if you have symptoms, however mild. I just hope the testing infrastructure can handle the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Drumpot wrote: »

If you really want to get some credible first hand information and not be arguing with people you disagree with in here, watch this. He is not speaking for WHO and he is actually going to brief WHO tomorrow.

This feels like a very informed update from somebody who knows what they are talking about. While the Chinese could easily of kept certain things from him, but this is as informed a feedback you are gonna get right now.

Very true - totally different from the WHO briefings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

This thread is moving so fast, kinda like the subject.
    https://beat102103.com/news/breaking-pupils-from-waterford-school-assessed-for-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0AdUQcP-FCNy7Bv9UwPn_uu3h5pMYlOEaqZUWAulGkEfRlTvJSTU_HHDo

3 schools in Waterford under observation as students return from affected area in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"Lots of talk of psychological support for those who were sick and quarantined. This was as important a part of the solution as anything." " That sense of helplessness in a face of virus, science is incredible, we have seen a country take a war footbing in the absence of vaccine but its not going to work if a society is not highly sensitised to it. The average time from onset to when it breaks out is 15 days. You have to cut that right down, in China they have cut it down to 3 days, thats why the cases are dropping fast. They are choking off the virus ability to find susceptitles. Peopel want to know what is this thing. IS there anything we can do about this ? I have a family. The day you think you are ready you are not ready. YOu never feel completely ready. Countries have to prepare their population"

Yeah, I've been watching it. His fawning over the Chinese seemed a bit tedious at the start, but he's definitely putting across the right message.. In hindsight, I should have waited until it was over and just watched it at double speed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

This is mostly my concern, my youngest, who turns 2 next month was born extremely premature, 25 weeks, so her lungs were not fully developed. She was on CPAP for a long time which has repercussions so her lungs will always be that be more fragile than a full term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

To what extent should other countries follow chinas approach?

"It was striking how organized and regimented use of TCM treatment. Physicians think the anti inflammatory of it helps. Observational data so not possible to make a judgement. Taking TCM actually helped with alot of the anxiety surrounding the disease" (I Dont understand this)

" It was a re purpose of the machinery of government as a response. What I saw in China, they had a task force, things had to get done. You have to define what part of society is doing what. Everybody in a society has to be involved."

"Can it be replicated elsewhere ? There is a disease spreading, people are concerned about it, there is evidecnce that countries can be masters of how it effects them. China didnt sit down. Other countries have to get ready. China did it , why cant other countries ? (paraphrased last bit)

China handled it awfully. They ignored it for a very long time, they are mixing people with all specturm sof the virus (or even symptoms now) in a big virus pile, and their response was so disorganised and ott that it worsened it imo.

And, as a final garnish, they are treating people with TCM. Which, in fairness, is good for long term health, but is pretty ****ty when your body is getting crotch shotted by a virus .

" We have escalating outbreaks in industrialized countries. You have got to try and respond"

"4 big observations about China
    - Strategy
    - Impact it had
    - Next steps
    - Collaboration (get ready and buy more time)

"This is not SARS or FLU, dont get stuck thinking one thing or another"

"We are not using the time well"

"These are the things that are going to help. USe the time well. Get ready. Do the right studies."

Final message "GET PREPARED. USE THE TIME WELL"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

China handled it awfully. They ignored it for a very long time, they are mixing people with all specturm sof the virus (or even symptoms now) in a big virus pile, and their response was so disorganised and ott that it worsened it imo.

And, as a final garnish, they are treating people with TCM. Which, in fairness, is good for long term health, but is pretty ****ty when your body is getting crotch shotted by a virus .

Yup I'd assume most of the reaction we saw from China was PR and based on how it effected the Economy rather than the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Well if it's the same 4% that die it could be either depending on your symptoms

:pac:

If China (big IF of course) are handling it now the way he is saying, they are doing a good job now of managing it after an initial disaster. Of course we dont know how reliable they are or if they only showed him what they wanted to show him.

But hes the most credible source I have seen, answering every question asked with authority and no sugar coating at all. .

And its not just "Oh China are doing this and everythings grand", they analyse the data and work out if what China are doing would give the results they are getting. He even awknowledged he cant go into every house in China, so he only commented on what he saw and reviewed. What else can he do ? "Well we all know the chinese are liars so no point in bothering" . .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Was in McQuillians tools in Blanch this morning and an Asian lady in front of me in the queue was buying 80 of the filtration masks. She told the cashier that she was sending some out to family in Asia as they cannot get them there. There will be none left for the Irish when the virus hits here. Seemingly, it's next to impossible to get them in pharmacies in Dublin now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Okay. That's it. Im getting a stash together. Casually, like. The check out lady in Tesco this Saturday is not even going to notice I have several super duper sized bags of chapatti flour and 60 tins of tomatoes.

• Advertisement

Sky news getting reports of more dead in Italy.

Health minister saying 3 further deaths in northern Italy. Total deaths now 10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement