Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was in McQuillians tools in Blanch this morning and an Asian lady in front of me in the queue was buying 80 of the filtration masks. She told the cashier that she was sending some out to family in Asia as they cannot get them there. There will be none left for the Irish when the virus hits here. Seemingly, it's next to impossible to get them in pharmacies in Dublin now

Bluddy furreners. Steeling all our jobs masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So just won a free trip on Stena Line - will have to consider this carefully

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

fritzelly wrote: »
    So just won a free trip on Stena Line - will have to consider this carefully

That's a dodgy trip regardless of a global pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

7 of the headlines on BBC.com are about covid 19, unparalleled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Was in McQuillians tools in Blanch this morning and an Asian lady in front of me in the queue was buying 80 of the filtration masks. She told the cashier that she was sending some out to family in Asia as they cannot get them there. There will be none left for the Irish when the virus hits here. Seemingly, it's next to impossible to get them in pharmacies in Dublin now

this sounds bit racist and probably not even true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Quick look at the posting history tells the tale. Just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Genuinely thinking about hibernating for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Runaways wrote: »
    Quick look at the posting history tells the tale. Just ignore.

Don't even need to look at the post history, look at the user name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Another hotel being isolated... this time in the Alps

BREAKING: Austria places Innsbruck hotel under lockdown over coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You'd wonder how all these old people get infected in the first place?

My bet is mass. We should take advantage of the chance we have, and ban it for good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Italy reports 39 new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

A problem with the advice to self-isolate if you show symptoms is that a lot of us are still recovering from this winter's virus. Cough, temperature, tirdness, breathing difficulty, gut pain and digestive upset, more cough. And a relapsing tendency, so that we recover for a week or ten days, then go back almost to the beginning. I'm in my seventh week, much better but not over it and still coughing if I get cold or tired.

These are unlike Flu symptoms (I've had that three times, and had the vaccine every year since ca 2004) or colds, and I'm inclined to think we had a coronavirus, although not Covid 19.

BUT how would we know if we did develop a mild case of the new virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why would you not go? Why are you looking for advice on an internet forum??

Yeah, just ring the HSE. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

You have to wonder if anyone in the Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport or Department of Health are going to MAN UP and make some decisions to update the Public on contingency plans for the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

wakka12 wrote: »
    Second case in Barcelona

6 more cases in Bahrain, now 27 over the last 24 hours

So far 3 cases in Spain, all of them related to Italy.

2 in Tenerife (both Italians on holiday)
    1 in Barcelona (Italian lady resident in Barcelona who just got back to Spain from Italy after spending a few days there)

Awaiting results from 6 more people at the moment.

At least they are keeping people informed of what is going on....... here is a deafening silence from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Cal04 wrote: »
    On a different note, due to travel to Germany in a few days, would you go or be inclined to cancel?

379-A5192-4-DDF-497-F-8-FE0-473-A1393-E058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am curious to find out what people who are in quarantine actually do. I mean that say tomorrow or next week government decide to put quarantine on Limerick for example and order closure of all public places, schools etc and tell people to stay at home. How long are your supplies going to last? How long are you going to survive without income from a job? I mean does government provide anything to the people in quarantine?
    I wonder if they do have enough provisions for guards and army to keep at least them happy to keep peace. I am afraid that ordinary people like me or most of us will be left out to literally die.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm glad I've been quietly stocking up on dried/tinned food, cleaning products and drinking water (only because I don't drink the tap water here, not worried about water being shut off) for a few weeks now. Just so we can stay home if need be. Still dont feel overly worried though which is strange for me. From all I've been reading, and that's a lot, I just dont think this is going to be as bad as some are predicting. Most cases are mild. No harm being prepared but I feel this will fizzle out when the weather gets warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You could make your own mask Shirley ? I mean those masks are not made out of magic beans FFS , Its just cloth, a dish cloth would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Anyone see the footage of the Iranian health minister sweating balls on state TV before announcing he has the virus the next day?

He's self isolating and staying at home to beat the virus, essentially documenting his progress.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he doesn't have the virus at all and is just pulling a stunt for the miraculous recovery to follow.

Everyone sees isolation works and does the same if they come down with anything. Keeps people calm as well.

I'll eat my words if he's dead in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Anyone see the footage of the Iranian health minister sweating balls on state TV before announcing he has the virus the next day?

He's self isolating and staying at home to beat the virus, essentially documenting his progress.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he doesn't have the virus at all and is just pulling a stunt for the miraculous recovery to follow.

Everyone sees isolation works and does the same if they come down with anything. Keeps people calm as well.

I'll eat my words if he's dead in a few weeks.

Pretty smart when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The 'End of Days' hysteria in this thread really is something to behold!

It's even worse than the big snow of 2018 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

You have to wonder if anyone in the Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport or Department of Health going to MAN UP and make some decisions to update the Public on contingency plans for the State.

This is what I am wondering.

What is the actual plan?

What plans have Dept of Education got with regard to schools, what plans have individual board of managements got.

My own thinking and being a Civil Servant for over 20 years and knowing how the mindset is that there is no real plan and it will all be reactionary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I assume a lot of people have seen this already but for anyone that hasn't.
    Book was written in 1981 I think.
    How freaky is this :eek:

IMG-20200224-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

We recieved an email at work today discussing plans for the virus including stay at home for 14 days if you've been to an infected area and telling us to keep our distance from coworkers, the latter of which is of course completely impractical.

The majority of us could quite easily work from home and get rid of the need for any of this. Apparently that idea isnt being entertained, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I am curious to find out what people who are in quarantine actually do. I mean that say tomorrow or next week government decide to put quarantine on Limerick for example and order closure of all public places, schools etc and tell people to stay at home. How long are your supplies going to last? How long are you going to survive without income from a job? I mean does government provide anything to the people in quarantine?
    I wonder if they do have enough provisions for guards and army to keep at least them happy to keep peace. I am afraid that ordinary people like me or most of us will be left out to literally die.

This is how it works in the Italian villages. Food shops are replenished regularly through a safe guarded road. Police check points prevent people from leaving/entering the zone. Mass testing was carried on 1 entire village. Sick people stay at home unless hospitalization is required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You could make your own mask Shirley ? I mean those masks are not made out of magic beans FFS , Its just cloth, a dish cloth would do.

there are some videos on youtube how to make masks, it is essentially like this:

thick kitchen roll on outside and inside. 2-3 small kleenex tissues in the middle. seal udges with paper tape. small piece of steel or copper wire to make nose bridge - cover with paper tape. cut 4 holes in corner and use rubber bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Just ask any Australian whether they think there is likely to be any truth to such a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

MaraMara wrote: »
    At least they are keeping people informed of what is going on....... here is a deafening silence from the government.

Do not despair. The government has just put our top man on it.

IMG-5669.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement