Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

blade1 wrote: »
    I assume a lot of people have seen this already but for anyone that hasn't.
    Book was written in 1981 I think.
    How freaky is this :eek:

That's yesterday news, already dissected in the old thread
    We are working overtime here ;)

This National Geographic article probably best describes how the virus affects the body:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

IMG-20200224-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0002.jpg

Ok we're going to need a sticky for this Bs too.

Again... These are two separate books. The first was amended years after it was written to change the name of the disease to Wuhan 400 because a lab opened in Wuhan and it gave the book more realism.

The second is a different book by a different writer talking about a respiratory disease which isn't anything special or surprising considering we have had SARS , MERS .. and know we are at risk of a virus as we haven't limited capabilities to treat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

I really wish we could get another “beast from the east” right now. It would cancel flights and force a lot of people to stay indoors for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

[BOOK]

For anyone that hasn't, those excerpts are from two different books, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That's yesterday news, already dissected in the old thread
    We are working overtime here ;)

Hard to keep up with it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just ask any Australian whether they think there is likely to be any truth to such a story.

Sure ive seen some shops here with restrictions on how much formula you can buy in one go

Ficheall wrote: »
    For anyone that hasn't, those excerpts are from two different books, right?

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The majority of us could quite easily work from home and get rid of the need for any of this. Apparently that idea isnt being entertained, strangely enough.
    I would have guessed the amount of people that can work from home would be very much in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

IMG-20200224-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0002.jpg

Is that real? 1981? The ****, that'd be like finding a book in the 40's saying on Sep 11th 2001 a Plane with hit a skyscraper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    This is how it works in the Italian villages. Food shops are replenished regularly through a safe guarded road. Police check points prevent people from leaving/entering the zone. Mass testing was carried on 1 entire village. Sick people stay at home unless hospitalization is required

I know. It works if it is one village but take ten or fifty or some city like Milano or Rome and then it gets interesting. I mean due to chinese regime we have no chance to find out how people cope in big regions when they are quarantined.
    I still remember what 3 days of snow did to us not so long ago. Shops were literally cleaned out of bread within few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Can [China's #Covid19 response] be replicated?"
    @WHO's Bruce Aylward said he's asked. "Why not?"
    Said things that China has done can be done by other countries.

Really?

USA prepping: https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25/cdc-expects-community-spread-of-coronavirus-as-top-official-warns-disruptions-could-be-severe/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The US CDC has warned there will be significant disruption to the daily life of Americans because of coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm glad I've been quietly stocking up on dried/tinned food, cleaning products and drinking water for a few weeks now. Just so we can stay home if need be. Still dont feel overly worried though which is strange for me. From all I've been reading, and that's a lot, I just dont think this is going to be as bad as some are predicting. Most cases are mild. No harm being prepared but I feel this will fizzle out when the weather gets warmer.

Its the initial panic/reaction from a relatively ignorant Public (ignorant because the authorities keep telling them everything is fine) that I really want to avoid. I’ve been saying it for weeks, communication is the one thing they could of done much much better if they just put a bit of thought into it.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Is that real? 1981? The ****, that'd be like finding a book in the 40's saying on Sep 11th 2001 a Plane with hit a skyscraper.

Sigh. Please see my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Cal04 wrote: »
    On a different note, due to travel to Germany in a few days, would you go or be inclined to cancel?

depends where you go and what happens in the next days, nobody can tell. no new cases reported since the ones like 3 weeks ago which seems fine.

but Austria has new cases and just read there's a lockdown of a hotel in the Alps. So very likely it will happen here starting in the south of Germany very soon too...tbh I wouldn't go anywhere at the moment, not in europe and not in the rest of the world, just staying home. old saying, better safe than sorry applies again..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I would have guessed the amount of people that can work from home would be very much in the minority.

I mean in my workplace specifically.

It's not that I think it's a necessary step or anything, it just seems like a reasonable thing to bring in if they're concerned about us being in close proximity to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The number of people working office jobs is insane, Google alone has around 8,000 people

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

article-8042079-25181050-910_964x543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

VinLieger wrote: »
    Sure ive seen some shops here with restrictions on how much formula you can buy in one go

If they arent eating pickled bats arse, dolphin penis or sewerage gick oil they are poisoning kids. The turn my stomach. Is that racist? Would make sense seeing as Im a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

*******DEPT OF HEALTH UPDATE********

We are all getting a packet of Wet Wipes

Simon-Harris-Wet-Wipes-Feb-2016-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

zell12 wrote: »
    article-8042079-25181050-910_964x543.jpg

Daily Mail spreading fear...that's a new one.

Anyway, far too few deaths for me to start building my underground bunker yet. I'll wait until the death toll hits double figures before I begin construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wakka12 wrote: »
    The US CDC has warned there will be significant disruption to the daily life of Americans because of coronavirus

Do you have a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If a large part of the problem is the immune system going overboard and catching the "good stuff" in the crossfire while attacking the virus, is suppressing immune system reactions such as, say, a fever, with paracetamol a good or a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

4 Americans from the cruise ship test positive after leaving
    Not much longer now and it will be a 100% positive rate for everyone that was on the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

So heres a scenario:

Couple with lets say 3 school gping kids, two primary one secondary, both adults work

Secondary school closes as suspected case of coronavirus. All pupils should quarantine

So i assume both adults shouldnt go to work but will they be certified as ill if they arent actually ill. Not all employers would pay while out sick either

This is where it would be nice to have some info on what plans the State has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Local chemist says they haven't had masks in 4 weeks due to hoteliers snapping them up, what is it with tourists !!!! Obvious really ,spreaders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Daily Mail spreading fear...that's a new one.

Anyway, far too few deaths for me to start building my underground bunker yet. I'll wait until the death toll hits double figures before I begin construction.

Couple bottles of Smirnoff to weather the storm. I will see if this virus can survive in hostile environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

fritzelly wrote: »
    So just won a free trip on Stena Line - will have to consider this carefully

Stena have some lovely ships, I recommend the Stena Diamond Princess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

50000 people die from pnuemonia in the US every year. How many deaths from Corona virus so far?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement