Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ireland v Italy game cancelled.

Simon Harris looks like the shadiest ****er ever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

With that very thing in mind they have tried corticosteroids one treating this and SARS-1, but it actually makes things work. Paracetamol would provide some symptomatic relief and we should all have it in stock, but being very careful about paying heed to dosage.

Aspirin is my favourite pain reliever. Paracetamol is meh.

Pretty useful to have on hand in the event of heart attack or stroke. Paracetamol - not so much.

https://www.drugs.com/compare/aspirin-vs-paracetamol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

All should quarantine.

Yes all should quarantine but lets say one adult works in a creche the other an office. Do all the people in the Office quarantine, does the creche close and all those people quarantine??

The school might have 250 pupils so very quickly this spiderwebs out but no one has said what we should do in this event.

Im not one to worry or scaremonger but the lack of information and assurances as to how adept we may be to deal with this is a little on the quiet side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Minister of Health Simon Haris on RTE now. Looks like the Rugby match with Italy won't go ahead. Getting serious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

blanch152 wrote: »
    Pnuemonia is a complication of viruses such as the Corona virus as well as other viral and bacterial infections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia

"Pneumonia is usually caused by infection with viruses or bacteria and less commonly by other microorganisms, certain medications and conditions such as autoimmune diseases."

"Pneumonia affects approximately 450 million people globally (7% of the population) and results in about four million deaths per year"

So a fatality rate of less than 1%.

The problem with the Corona virus is that so far the fatality rate is seen to be greater, and possibly significantly greater than 1%. Estimates range, as we have seen on this thread, from 2% to 9%.

One thing that you can be sure of is that the Corona virus will lead to an increase in the number of deaths from pnuemonia.

Pneumonia has a much higher mortality rate than 1%. I quoted 50k American deaths this was in 2019 with the number of overall cases being 1 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Simon Harris escalating this rapidly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Ireland v Italy game cancelled.

Best news I've heard all week. We'll be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Heard the Iranian sweating ("all is well") guy is going to do a stand up comedy tour with the Iraq ("it's not true") dude from a previous decade, that denied the West was rolling into Bagdhad as Jarheads drove hummers up towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Makes sense to cancel the rugby match with the number of outbreaks coming from Italy. Itll be serious when theres martial law installed in effected countries. Wont happen tho. Postponing this game is just precautionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great to see some grown ups finally taking this seriously with the match being canceled, talking about stepping up stuff in airports too.

Opposition being briefed tomorrow i wonder what SFs reaction will be if they get advised to cancel their coming events?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think he said advised not to go ahead? Not cancelled yet but will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Gringo180 wrote: »
    50000 people die from pnuemonia in the US every year. How many deaths from Corona virus so far?

ptcJByV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Is a CT scan really the way they test for it? No other way? Just seems a bit extreme.

I honestly don’t know. I was just trying to relay what he was saying in the conference. Sorry.

I would recommend watching his full 2 hour footage as I found it superb and feel like it’s the first unfiltered bit of information (he even hinted a few times That who wouldn’t like him saying certain things) we have gotten.

If you're currently training in e.g. TableTennis, Climbing, Breakdancing (or whatever is the latest thing is), for the aul Olypikics in Japan
    ..don't bother, have some custard dreams n' pie, and check back in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow Jones down nearly 600 points today.

Don't panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Simon Harris is an arsehole....

But he had the balls to make the first big call.

Fair play to him.

Time for the rest to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cancelling a game thats going in Dublin seems over the top. Are they saying Italy is quarantined now? I suppose its the right shape to build a wall across the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

What should people be doing for prevention methods?

Masks?
    Alcohol hand sanitizer?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The 11th Italian victim is a 76 year old woman who was taken to hospital today after she developed sudden respiratory issues. Scary how quickly conditions can deteriorate, she was an undetected case and wasn't even in hospital
    Lower below in the article they mentioned that 95% of people survive, not sure where they get that figure but it's closer to reality than the previous ones

In general pneumonia can strike very suddenly. I had just returned home from a New Year party in the Algarve, where there was a very unwell looking man who was coughing incessantly, and I was literally sitting in front of my pc editing the holiday photos when in the course of 15 minutes I became extremely unwell, out of the blue. This was about 2012. Over a few minutes a fever overtook me and I started shivering and shaking, wondering what was wrong with me. I shut down the computer and retreated to my bed whereupon I suddenly started coughing thick red-brown gunge and found myself very short of breath. Next morning I got a taxi to the private hospital where I had been attending a gastro-enterologist for colitis. I was on two immune-suppressive drugs. The pulse oximeter showed sats of around 88% and I was admitted with lower lives on both lungs solidly affected by bacterial pneumonia. IV antibiotics and oxygen quickly dealt with it, but I was exhausted for weeks after. The sudden onset of symptoms took me completely by surprise, and similar had happened me about 9 years previously. One minute you could be writing a post here apparently in the full if your health, and perhaps 15 posts later you could be in your bed with a shaking chill and coughing. You can be overcome by pneumonia that suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gringo180 wrote: »
    50000 people die from pnuemonia in the US every year. How many deaths from Corona virus so far?

We don't know yet. We're still waiting for the Chinese to release the number of pnuemonia related deaths caused by coronavirus.

You can see why we're so concerned to have a new contagious disease which triggers pneumonia as a secondary infection.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Dow Jones down nearly 600 points today.

Don't panic.

Worse yesterday, negative 4%. About $1tr of global stock down the pan.
    The plane people that like to charge you for looking the wrong way lost 14%c.

DON'T PANIC

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Titclamp wrote: »

Masks?
    Alcohol hand sanitizer?

You won't get any masks that are effective. Sold out.

Alcohol hand sanitizer if you're out and about.
    Wash your hands as much as you can.
    Force yourself not to touch your face when out and about if you can get disposable gloves for travelling on public transport get them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Titclamp wrote: »

Masks?
    Alcohol hand sanitizer?

For yourself? Depends. Can you afford to avoid people? Wash hands a lot. Be disciplined about face touching. No kissing randomers. I blew that one hard in Galway already. Pull your kids from school for a week. They will probably close for a period soon anyway.

TBH I cant afford to dont anything bar the kids bit. So I am resigned to my zombie downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Drumpot wrote: »
    I honestly don’t know. I was just trying to relay what he was saying in the conference. Sorry.

I would recommend watching his full 2 hour footage as I found it superb and feel like it’s the first unfiltered bit of information (he even hinted a few times That who wouldn’t like him saying certain things) we have gotten.

I looked into it further and it seems they were doing CT scans because of they didn't want to wait for blood tests or the blood kits were in short supply, blood tests being more reliable. Definitely don't think irradiating whole swathes of the population is ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Iranian health minister getting sick on camera has to be one of the more surreal things ive seen in a while related to this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its now a case of the cat being out of the bag. It hasnt been contained. Everyone is going to get it. Its just too late.
    There is no point holding up the world further, so really, best just to continue business as normal, rather than also crash the world economy. Very sad for the 200 million unlucky ones and their families, but best that the world keeps working best to mitigate the damage.
    Forget the face masks, confinements, hand gel. Just press on, and hope you arent one of the 2%.
    Thats my view anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They seriously need to start considering what to do about paddies weekend, we cant afford that many people arriving from god knows where

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Do not despair. The government has just put our top man on it.

IMG-5669.jpg

Jaysus...if they wheel him out we really are in the midst of a zombie apocalypse...

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Aspirin is my favourite pain reliever. Paracetamol is meh.

Pretty useful to have on hand in the event of heart attack or stroke. Paracetamol - not so much.

https://www.drugs.com/compare/aspirin-vs-paracetamol

I am on 75mg daily aspirin for heart condition, but much of the time I my digestive system is unfortunately very sensitive to ibobrufen, which is anti-inflammatory. As I have an ileostomy I can lose an adult lot of fluid very rapidly when I get the brufen reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement