Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    For yourself? Depends. Can you afford to avoid people? Wash hands a lot. Be disciplined about face touching. No kissing randomers. I blew that one hard in Galway already. Pull your kids from school for a week. They will probably close for a period soon anyway.

TBH I cant afford to dont anything bar the kids bit. So I am resigned to my zombie downfall.

I hear ye, hard not to kiss people in Galway. Must be the air or something, if it comes to Galway the city will be banjaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Its now a case of the cat being out of the bag. It hasnt been contained. Everyone is going to get it. Its just too late.
    There is no point holding up the world further, so really, best just to continue business as normal, rather than also crash the world economy. Very sad for the 200 million unlucky ones and their families, but best that the world keeps working best to mitigate the damage.
    Forget the face masks, confinements, hand gel. Just press on, and hope you arent one of the 2%.
    Thats my view anyway.

the 1% won't be in the 2% that's for sure, it's a money racket as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I wonder have the dept of education any contingency plans in place for state exams if there is a extended shutdown of schools.
    For a country to function people still need to work and provide essential services but school closures would take 1000s of people away from close proximity to each other.
    We all know how quickly regular colds and flus can spread in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

saabsaab wrote: »
    I hear ye, hard not to kiss people in Galway. Must be the air or something, if it comes to Galway the city will be banjaxed.

The traffic will probably stop it reaching the city tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

tillyfilly wrote: »
    the 1% won't be in the 2% that's for sure, it's a money racket as usual

I doubt you are right there. No money will protect you form this. Your employees your household staff etc etc. You won't be able to avoid other humans totally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Titclamp wrote: »
    What should people be doing for prevention methods?
    Bubbe football attire, and best of all can still play footie.

6ZDJMnh.png

Actually prevention of human interaction in highly populated areas is the best. Other than that, if can't avoid e.g. public transport: Gloves, washable face mask with front splash screen of sorts, full length lightweight jacket.
    The question is, how long/soon before such fashion that is very common in SE Asia, becomes normal in Eurolands.

What should people be doing for prevention methods?

Masks?
    Alcohol hand sanitizer?

seems stay away from people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Ah shyte i hope Euro 2020 isnt affected

A whole summer without football while quarantined isnt fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Not sure the comments about governments not being fussed if older people start dying off in high numbers are correct - they are the big voters at elections and tend to vote for the establishment centre right parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

For yourself? Depends. Can you afford to avoid people? Wash hands a lot. Be disciplined about face touching. No kissing randomers. I blew that one hard in Galway already. Pull your kids from school for a week. They will probably close for a period soon anyway.

TBH I cant afford to dont anything bar the kids bit. So I am resigned to my zombie downfall.

Have you pulled your kids from school yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

There is no point holding up the world further, so really, best just to continue business as normal, rather than also crash the world economy. Very sad for the 200 million unlucky ones and their families

E1732-F26-C14-C-4453-8-A6-E-D4-E36-AF312-AB-2021-000001-E24-C043-C28.gif

<jazz music stops>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Ah shyte i hope Euro 2020 isnt affected

A whole summer without football while quarantined isnt fun

It should fade away in the summer.

And then re-emerge in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I doubt you are right there. No money will protect you form this. Your employees your household staff etc etc. You won't be able to avoid other humans totally.

But sure "the 1% won't be in the 2% that's for sure" makes a great cynical soundbite. Gotta be someone to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Worse yesterday, negative 4%. About $1tr of global stock down the pan.
    The plane people that like to charge you for looking the wrong way lost 14%c.

DON'T PANIC

It's not real money, just numbers and speculation which have no bearing on health and wellbeing. Not sure why inhuman markets are even being mentioned in the same context as a virus which is killing human beings.

they will get the best of face masks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Have you pulled your kids from school yet?

Done. Masks bought in January. Food stocked. Water stocked, gas stove stocked. Then masks sold for profit <was weak for the profit on ebay :( > but if its all bollox im not out of pocket. If only I could have an AR-15. I hate this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The HSE don't inspire one with confidence.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232373404524859403

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232374439716827136

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232376700027244546

How can they not be aware of the situation in Lombardy? It's been all over the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

NUIG sent out an email asking which students and staff had been to the affected regions in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

VinLieger wrote: »
    They seriously need to start considering what to do about paddies weekend, we cant afford that many people arriving from god knows where

That includes banning everyone including local people from attending the parades, as far as we know the virus could be already here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In general pneumonia can strike very suddenly. I had just returned home from a New Year party in the Algarve, where there was a very unwell looking man who was coughing incessantly, and I was literally sitting in front of my pc editing the holiday photos when in the course of 15 minutes I became extremely unwell, out of the blue. This was about 2012. Over a few minutes a fever overtook me and I started shivering and shaking, wondering what was wrong with me. I shut down the computer and retreated to my bed whereupon I suddenly started coughing thick red-brown gunge and found myself very short of breath. Next morning I got a taxi to the private hospital where I had been attending a gastro-enterologist for colitis. I was on two immune-suppressive drugs. The pulse oximeter showed sats of around 88% and I was admitted with lower lives on both lungs solidly affected by bacterial pneumonia. IV antibiotics and oxygen quickly dealt with it, but I was exhausted for weeks after. The sudden onset of symptoms took me completely by surprise, and similar had happened me about 9 years previously. One minute you could be writing a post here apparently y in the full if your health, and perhaps 15 posts later you could be in your bed with a shaking chill and coughing. You can be overcome by pneumonia that suddenly.

Something similar. I had been travelling abroad and returned here*. Came down with chills, massive migraine, shivering with non stop vomiting. Ended up on an endless queue in A&E. I later found out that my very vocal vomiting actually managed to help clear A&E that night. Eventually a bed came available after 24 hours in isolation with medical staff with full PPE (they had no idea what I'd came down with).

Lost about a third of my weight in about 10 days. Wouldn't wish the experienced on anyone tbh. Took about six months to fully recover.

Of note I was in my twenties, fit and very healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That includes banning everyone including local people from attending the parades, as far as we know the virus could be already here

Ohh I agree we need to cancel the parades and events, but stopping people simply coming here is a big step which im not sure anyone in power has the balls to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

fr336 wrote: »
    Not sure the comments about governments not being fussed if older people start dying off in high numbers are correct - they are the big voters at elections and tend to vote for the establishment centre right parties.

Turnout among people aged 75 and over is actually quite low compared to other age groups.

Done. Masks bought in January. Food stocked. Water stocked, gas stove stocked. Then masks sold for profit <was weak for the profit on ebay :( > but if its all bollox im not out of pocket. If only I could have an AR-15. I hate this country.

should have joined the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It should fade away in the summer.

And then re-emerge in the winter.

the heat will make it stronger its victims more violent and hungry for flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ohh I agree we need to cancel the parades and events, but stopping people simply coming here is a big step which im not sure anyone in power has the balls to take.

Their will be confirmed cases here by then. Once this happens I expect panic to set in with alot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

How can they not be aware of the situation in Lombardy? It's been all over the news.

You have to understand the bureaucratic political calcification of the HSE: unless they were informed officially through some designated channel they don’t know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If this is true then no doubt its here and if thats the attitude of the HSE then we are f*&ked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭bennyl10

the heat will make it stronger its victims more violent and hungry for flesh

While this is clearly a joke..
    There has been more outlandish on this thread 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's not real money, just numbers and speculation which have no bearing on health and wellbeing. Not sure why inhuman markets are even being mentioned in the same context as a virus which is killing human beings.
    If an airline stock was to drop 14% everyday (not just like yesterday), then very quickly there is no airline, then there is no facemasks (or anything really, that can't be manufactured and sourced locally).

On the upside investors are piling into Pharma instead, one of the biggest climbers this week 30%+, was the company (one of many) that makes the (3hr) COVID19 test kit, that means they can now with confidence and (real money) finance available, mass produce these, to reduce the virus spreading, and killing people. It'll just cost a bit more to ship them out.

Welcome to today's Economics 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

wadacrack wrote: »
    Their will be confirmed cases here by then. Once this happens I expect panic to set in with alot of people.

Indeed I'm going to get around to my final stock up tomorrow and id expect panic unplanned buying to kick in over the next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement