Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

twirlagig wrote: »
    WTF! :(

Game will go ahead. The 6N is too important to be derailed by this type of thing. The income stream to the unions from these games is crucial to the funding of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

joe_99 wrote: »
    How so? Survival rates are over 99.6% for anyone under 50.

so what about the people over 50? i take it your under 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Way more people have contracted this virus than has been reported. This is because the huge majority of people that have contracted it haven't presented themselves for treatment and just got better. So death rate numbers are only calculated from those known to have got it.

Thats why the cruise ship is an excellent means of estimating it. Currently a mortality rate of 0.5% which is significantly higher than flu and there are 36 others in a serious condition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The average death rate is currently calculated at 2%. Presumably that's higher for at risk groups and lower for non a-risk groups, but on average.

That would be around 20 thousand dead in Ireland, if accurate.

Based on stats from China: The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi guys ,
    Some of you are obviously very well read on this topic. I’m not worried about myself getting it , I am fit and healthy, but one of my children has a condition that can affect his lungs and he is prone to pneumonia ( he has had flu and pneumonia vaccine of course) . We are all careful at hand washing in the family. I was just wondering what is so special about the masks everyone is queuing for? Can I just make my own from fabric to- cover nose and mouth?

I would suggest watching WHO and reputable authority advice on it.

I will give you my Layman take so please find a reputable source to confirm anything you read here.

I think most masks just give people a sense of protection. Its not clear exactly how much, if any, they actually provide. I have bought some masks as I would rather have one and feel a bit better then feel a bit vulnerable. But not just that , where they really do appear to potentially help is if somebody gets infected, they should wear a mask to reduce the spread. I suppose its cause the mask possibly catches alot of their coughing and maybe some of their potential virus that might spread.

Isoloation from the general public seems to be the order of the day in most scenarios. My suggestion is to try and put aside some supplies for a prolonged period of time (up to you how long you think). I would consider the approach that I would want to not HAVE TO go out if I would prefer not to because I know if I get the virus there is a strong chance I might pass it onto my family.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TowZyuIxI for informed information and draw your own conclusions.

The guy speaking even said that when he was working with colleagues they stayed 2 metres apart which suggests they really do think distance from individuals helps. (This is what I will try to do if I get infected and keep my family at a distance).

There are actually masks (non Viral) still available in Woodies , again how reliable they are against this is not clear.

Do not apologize or hesitate to take precautionary measures if you feel your child needs to be protected more then the average child. Nobody here or anywhere knows for sure if this Virus is in Ireland. Based on the information, thats changing quickly, we have no real reasons to be fully confident it is not here already. The best case is that it hasnt been officially pronounced.

Oh, one last thing, if you child needs certain medications or inhalers etc, try to get a longer supply if possible. Also I heard a suggestion that people with potentially underlying conditions should speak with their GP about what is the best course of action if they get the Virus.

Plan, Prepare and be careful. Thats all we can all do. We are all responsible for ourselves and our families. I wont apologies to anybody for trying to protect my family and to be quite frank it feels like there is a huge percentage of people still in denial about what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Game will go ahead. The 6N is too important to be derailed by this type of thing. The income stream to the unions from these games is crucial to the funding of the games.

Foot and mouth disease would like a word.

Possible treatment option:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32075365/

Chloroquine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

money and freedom of movement, the virus and EU both thrive on these traits strangely enough, Spanish flu killed many without these factors

• Registered Users Posts: 29,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bennyl10 wrote: »
    People die from a cold.
    People die from the flu,
    People die. That’s an unfortunate fact of humanity.

But the fact with this disease is that the vast, vast majority will be fine. They’ll have a bad fever, will need watching, but will be fine.

This isn’t the plague or the Spanish flu and treating it as if it is is,yes, the definition of an over reaction.

Literally nobody is reacting to this as if it is the plague.
    Please point out where they are.

And yet.
    The vast vast majority of people were fine despite the Spanish flu.
    The significant majority of people were fine despite the Black Death.
    So by your 'logic' we shouldn't have been bothered about that either?

Are we allowed to be concerned about a potentially fatal disease, just because there are other fatal diseases out there? Yes.
    Are the major governments of the world treating this as something more serious than cold\flu? Yes.

We could do with more reaction to this not less.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats why the cruise ship is an excellent means of estimating it. Currently a mortality rate of 0.5% which is significantly higher than flu and there are 36 others in a serious condition
    Good point.
    And Cruises are generally an older demographic so you can drop that 0.5% down to account for general population. Under 50s are basically bullet proof to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If Harris sees visitors to Ireland as a danger he should shut our borders now. How many will have came and gone before the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can we please stop this. Its of absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

It's relevant when people are claiming the reason they're so concerned about Covid is their elderly relatives, calling people heartless for not feeling the same, then turning around and rolling their eyes when the flu - which has actually killed people in Ireland this year - is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Good point.
    And Cruises are generally an older demographic so you can drop that 0.5% down to account for general population. Under 50s are basically bullet proof to this.

Its not a particularly old age group, similar to Irish society really, the cruise tourism website says that brand/resort is most popular with 35-65 age group and 1/3 of the people on board are workers who are of course reasonably young

But regardless I agree it is not dangerous to people under 50 but that is not reassuring to a large amount of the worlds population as hundreds of millions of people worldwide are in their 60s 70s and 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow Jones down nearly 600 points today.

Don't panic.

Now down 900 points.

Panic, panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Based on stats from China: The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

Would a clear out of coffin dodgers be such a bad thing? Could work wonders for the health and housing crisis stats. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

MD1990 wrote: »

Too many head hits during their playing days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I love how people post nonsense like “someone” in the HSE told me this and that. Complete irresponsible lies and surprising that it’s allowed go on here.

Go and read the opening post.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Panic, panic!
    It's in the thread title - don't panic!!! Leave all that for the next thread....

:pac:

Wombatman wrote: »
    Would a clear out of coffin dodgers be such a bad thing? Could work wonders for the health and housing crisis stats. :rolleyes:

Are vulnerable children coffin dodgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    A buddy of mine in Galway has been told to self quantine.

He was served in a shop by someone who may have the covid-19, in Galway(Barna/Spiddel)...It maybe here

Of course it’s here. Probably been here for weeks. And guess what...life is still going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Good point.

Not at all true anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Beasty wrote: »
    It's in the thread title - don't panic!!! Leave all that for the next thread....

:pac:

That will be in about 3 days - Snow of 2018 thread be damned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

I think a good hit on the millenials would be more desirable, some of them are walking zombies already as it is...

Oh the irony of the smartphone they invariably have their heads stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's relevant when people are claiming the reason they're so concerned about Covid is their elderly relatives, calling people heartless for not feeling the same, then turning around and rolling their eyes when the flu - which has actually killed people in Ireland this year - is mentioned.

Again it isn't relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Shares in Soylent Green are soaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Foot and mouth disease would like a word.

Foot and Mouth was managable. They stopped rural animals being transported and us human folk had to walk over disinfectant mats.

Unless they are going to stop all flights in and out of Ireland then this is folly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Ludo wrote: »
    Not at all true anymore.

42% of world population is under 25. I really doubt 42% of the passengers on that cruise were under 25. Hence older demographic is correct

Foot and Mouth was managable. They stopped rural animals being transported and us human folk had to walk over disinfectant mats.

Unless they are going to stop all flights in and out of Ireland then this is folly

corona viruses are initially spread from animals to humans, could they go the opposite direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Stopping the rugby match is just a PR stunt. If Italians are that risky then ban all flights from Italy now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it's fair enough for the IRFU to seek clarification if they have not already been consulted. For all we know it could already have a grip in Ireland by this weekend and such measures may not be achieving much by the following weekend - unless a decision is taken to stop all gatherings of more than a certain number of people, train and air journeys etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement