Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fr336 wrote: »
    Wow now you're not required if you're over 50. When will we be down to 40 and 30? I say this as a 31 year old btw, so not too high risk myself.
    Good news is there will be one less mod to try and keep you all on the straight and narrow....

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Check again. 6.8% of flu deaths were over a period in February

Direct quote https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Western countries would stand for the measures taken in China

They most certainly will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tempted to book the cheap flights to Italy for a one day trip just for the two weeks off work

Sshhhh, don’t tell everyone....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, I see that some sports organisation is getting a bit annoyed about events being cancelled.

They even see fit to meet one of our ministers.

How dare they put their business over the health of our population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

joe_99 wrote: »
    At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percent of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

Jaysus - way to word something to suit your agenda
    Look at the actual flu related deaths - your 6.8% becomes nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How do you work that out?

Because 10-20% of the world population get flu every year . Death rate of 6.8% in 1.4 billion flu cases is just shy of a hundred million dead

Suffice to say that clearly hasn't been the case. Despite what CDC said that post , I'm sure it is the poster just saying what CDC said arseways and completely out of context

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I use to watch a programme that showed americans who built underground bunkers and its fully stocked with food water guns etc..

thought they were mad, but if this was to turn into a pandemic, well that would be quite ironic for me laughing at them thinking they are nuts.

They are.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Jaysus - way to word something to suit your agenda
    Look at the actual flu related deaths - your 6.8% becomes nonsense

https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-covid-19 - direct quote. Read the article. Not my agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Thats was VERY interesting when they did that. They were asked what they though should be done. The gave a counter argument to their field of knowledge. Theres a particular reason when people do such things. Its when they know if they tell someone what they are thinking its will hurt their feelings/scare them. They had an actual opinion, they wouldn't say it. Maybe they are scared to contemplate it themselves.

Don't bite the hand that feeds. Continue the narrative that nothing can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

The annual flu is an epidemic.....
    Worst case scenario, this joins it.

Last time i checked a pandemic is worse than an epidemic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

They are mad.

Until the day maybe they are not. And some of the formally certified sane are feeling the pinch or mortality and wonder who the fool really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Thats was VERY interesting when they did that. They were asked what they though should be done. The gave a counter argument to their field of knowledge. Theres a particular reason when people do such things. Its when they know if they tell someone what they are thinking its will hurt their feelings/scare them. They had an actual opinion, they wouldn't say it. Maybe they are scared to contemplate it themselves.

I agree. I have been watching Dr Cillian Gascun for the past while, advising on the characteristics of the virus and I was impressed with his knowledge and method of information delivery. I trusted him.

Tonight, while straying in to the 'what we are going to do' territory .... he scared me and I didn't trust him. To clarify, the scare factor is that we don't have a clue about how to deal with this - arguments presented that were too easily contradicted and didn't stack up.

Own goal scored live on Primetime and more harm done than good.

This is a percentage of all deaths that week. Not a percentage of all people with flu. Also, I can't figure it out out but it might include bacterial pneumonia.

You are spreading false information about the flu - In America flu related deaths range from 0.01 to 0.1% death each year
    If you had bothered to actually even read the CDC article you linked you would know that but better for Headline grabbing trash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 32,562 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think your reading that wrong ..
    Maybe make more sense to look at something like the below.

Conclusion. CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.Jan 8, 20

So a tiny percentage of deaths.
    Coronavirus is in no way comparable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

"6.8% of the deaths occurring during the week ending February 8, 2020"

From what you quoted before. Can you read? It says that 6.8 percent of the people who died of flu died in that week!! Not that the death rate from flu was 6.8%. Cop on spouting ****e like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The 6.8% relates to 6.8% of the total flu deaths that occurred over a certain period in February. It's nothing to do with the flu death rate being 6.8%
    Edit Sorry you got ahead of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jin luk wrote: »

Now you're just taking de mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Oh no. Not more stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percent of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

6.8% of ALL deaths were related to the Flu AND Pneumonia, NOT that the mortality rate from the flu is 6.8%. Actually read properly before spreading false news.

From the CDC - "Based on National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance data available on February 20, 2020, 6.8% of the deaths occurring during the week ending February 8, 2020 (week 6) were due to P&I. This percentage is below the epidemic threshold of 7.3% for week 6. "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jin luk wrote: »

Not necessarily, we have seasonal flu each year, which has a high death toll, unfortunately.

Pandemic is a new disease that spreads globally, yet does not necessarily cause high rates of deaths as flu.

Now, I hear that the WHO has changed their definition of pandemic, at just this point in time, to make the definition worthless.

fritzelly wrote: »
    You are spreading false information about the flu - In America flu related deaths range from 0.01 to 0.1% death each year
    If you had bothered to actually even read the CDC article you linked you would know that but better for Headline grabbing trash

Read the healthline article. I quoted directly from this. I made no other comment. https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-covid-19

COVID-19 versus the flu

The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to that of the influenza (flu) virus.

The flu virus is much more common and much more deadly than the 2019 coronavirus.

At least 6.8 percentTrusted Source of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percentTrusted Source of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

All these people saying it's like flu no it is not there's a vaccibt for the flu theirs a lot on Ireland on dialysis and receiving cancer treatment at least their somewhat protected from the flu with the vaccine there's no protection against this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The annual flu is an epidemic.....
    Worst case scenario, this joins it.

You assume the death rate won't be more than 2% and 1%? Say it's 1%, how many times more deadly would that be than the flu? I know the flu has a vaccine which lowers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Read the healthline article. I quoted directly from this. I made no other comment. https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-covid-19

The article does say that.

The source it's using to back up the claim does not.

Then they have a dumbass reporter

7% of the population dying every year we would be extinct by now lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

That value of 6.8% is just for that week...Once the flu season ends, it will probably drop down to about 0.1% for all closed cases.

Using that logic, the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 9% right now. However, it will be lower than that once all the cases are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

fr336 wrote: »
    What even are these "serious health conditions"?

Novel, unusual viruses can do unusual things unfortunately.

https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-scientists-coronavirus-male-fertility-1488235

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement