Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

The article does say that.

The source it's using to back up the claim does not.

Blame article in Healthline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

joe_99 wrote: »
    At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percent of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

please read stuff carefully before you post. that 6.8% figure is from patients presenting with both flu and pneumonia. i.e the serious cases. most flu cases do not lead to pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, I see that some sports organisation is getting a bit annoyed about events being cancelled.

They even see fit to meet one of our ministers.

How dare they put their business over the health of our population?

We have no idea what the talks are about. They may propose to play the game in an empty stadium. Unless they close the border, game or no game, a lot of Italian fans will travel anyway so we are kinda fecked anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The annual flu is an epidemic.....
    Worst case scenario, this joins it.

What are you basing this conclusion on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's really bizarre people attempting to downplay this. Have they actually been following whats going on in China since early January?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sean 18 wrote: »
    All these people saying it's like flu no it is not there's a vaccibt for the flu theirs a lot on Ireland on dialysis and receiving cancer treatment at least their somewhat protected from the flu with the vaccine there's no protection against this

I agree Sean.

My concern is about the impact on the health system, even if (fingers crossed) the death rate is low, we could see our hospitals in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Main reason is that I believe that mortality of the virus is overstated at the moment. Containment strategies like cancelling the Italy game will reduce the spread of the virus which will reduce acute overwhelming of the HSE.

Secondly. We actually do have a great health service. The fact that we should have an even better health service for the money is a discussion for another day.

We have one the highest health care professional/ capita ratios in the world.

There are plans in place in hospitals (all around the country) to deal with virus if/when it arrives. Just because the general public doesn't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

The fact that we are coming into summer is also a bonus as viral illnesses decrease during the summer months as we are not so closely packed together.

A simple press and broadcast statement from the HSE Spokesperson stating the bolded would work a little wonder in reassuring the general public, don't you think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I've a family member who works within the HSE.

Look online I've no time to explain it to you.

As above.

Ask your family member what a tracheal aspirate involves.

froog wrote: »
    please read stuff carefully before you post. that 6.8% figure is from patients presenting with both flu and pneumonia. i.e the serious cases. most flu cases do not lead to pneumonia.

I quoted article it came from. I made no comment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not necessarily, we have seasonal flu each year, which has a high death toll, unfortunately.

Pandemic is a new disease that spreads globally, yet does not necessarily cause high rates of deaths as flu.

Now, I hear that the WHO has changed their definition of pandemic, at just this point in time, to make the definition worthless.

A pandemic is a disease or virus epidemic, in more than 1 continent, its as clear as day action needs to be taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

That's the scary part they can't even manage the vomiting bug

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

That's the scary thing they can't even manage the vomiting bug

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Here's an easy to understand example. People who are immunosupressed are very vulnerable to this virus according to all reports. For example, I have a good friend (a young person) with Lupus (an auto-immune disease) and resulting Kidney Disease. For this person, catching the coronavirus could be fatal.

Those comparing this with the flu aren't taking into account the amount of vulnerable people who are able to take action and protect themselves by getting the flu vaccine. There is no vaccine for this and we have been told that it is highly contagious.

This friend needs to travel for kidney dialysis to a major hospital x3 times per week. It's going to be very hard for this person to self isolate and try to avoid catching this when their life already depends on access to dialysis, at a hospital would could end up full of people with this virus. As someone who cares about this person, this makes me concerned, too.

It's a stressful current event for anyone in a vulnerable situation.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Hope your friend is not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I quoted article it came from. I made no comment myself.

Well that's worse! don't quote a random article if you have no 'opinion' on it or if you do not stand behind it. :confused:

Jin luk wrote: »
    Last time i checked a pandemic is worse than an epidemic

For reasons of applying data. The seasonal flu is considered epidemic which is probably where this is heading. Initially it may be a pandemic but it'll settle into the same groove as the seasonal flu (if it gets there).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Was talking to an experienced front line nurse. They have had no guidance or instructions on a potential outbreak in Ireland.

Galadriel wrote: »
    Well that's worse! don't quote a random article if you have no 'opinion' on it or if you do not stand behind it. :confused:

It is good to present data from CDC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is easier to do that than admit he was wrong :pac:

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's really bizarre people attempting to downplay this. Have they actually been following whats going on in China since early January?

I know.

It's a difficult line to express, between hyping this up and downplaying to the point of dangerous compliancy.

Personally, I've been following this story for a while now, and have expressed my level of concern.

I'm no expert, but I'm concerned, personally, for my loved ones in the older age bracket.

fr336 wrote: »
    What are you basing this conclusion on?

Based on if it has the mutational values of the seasonal flu.

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »
    It is easier to do that than admit he was wrong :pac:

I presented data from CDC. I made no comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not when the data is misrepresented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You completely misrepresented the data, though.

If you can't understand it, it might be best not to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You quoted the CDC site not the healthline article first

Was talking to an experienced front line nurse. They have had no guidance or instructions on a potential outbreak in Ireland.

Really? I bet a lot of front line workers must be concerned.

Not when the data is misrepresented.

By article not by CDC which is the interesting data that helps put context on debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yep, sure, fire away, have at it, eventually someone will believe the figures you keep 'quoting'.

Yep, sure, fire away, have at it, eventually someone will believe the figures you keep 'quoting'.

The CDC is a trusted body in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

##
    That value of 6.8% is just for that week...Once the flu season ends, it will probably drop down to about 0.1% for all closed cases.

Using that logic, the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 9% right now. However, it will be lower than that once all the cases are closed.

What Dave is saying is that all virus lethality its expressed as a curve. A changing value of x (deaths per division, day for example) over y (time). At any one point in y, x (deaths) can vary wildly. But will always increase from zero, and return, eventually to zero.

The actual area under the curve is the dead and can be averaged over the outbreak. This actual lethality can only ever be know AFTER the outbreak is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dazzler, assuming the death rate is at your upper limit of 1%, how many times more deadly is that then the flu? I know a vaccine would bring it down further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement