Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was talking to an experienced front line nurse. They have had no guidance or instructions on a potential outbreak in Ireland.

There will be a lengthy enquiry in the aftermath

System failure

Nobody will be found guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1232427454662348800

He says we don't have huge evidence asymptomatic transmission is occuring.

It has been confirmed that it is occurring https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-confirmed-patients-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-without-showing-symptoms

What a disgrace people coming back from affected area's should be in qurantine for up to now at least 21 days maybe 30 if they are coming from an affected doesnt't matter if they are not showing any symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

joe_99 wrote: »
    The CDC is a trusted body in my eyes
    You didn't take the data from the CDC, you took it from some idiots (I don't care that it was supposedly "fact checked" by an MD) who misunderstood the CDC data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Really? I bet a lot of front line workers must be concerned.
    Yes they are. And this person has nothing but contempt for the HSE apparatchiks including the man at the helm. And as usual you get the FG/FF cheerleaders spouting that there's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Sorry if I've missed this info already, but does anyone know is there a likely/probable way that viruses behave the further away from the epicentre they get? Do we know if, as they mutate, they are more likely to mutate for the better or for the worse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Ficheall wrote: »
    You completely misrepresented the data, though.

If you can't understand it, it might be best not to post it.

I didn't misrepresent it. The article I quoted did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,573 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dazzler, assuming the death rate is at your upper limit of 1%, how many times more deadly is that then the flu? I know a vaccine would bring it down further.
    Widely quoted that flu fatility rate in US is 0.1%
    So if 1 percent...10 times more deadly
    If 2 percent...20 times more deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Elessar wrote: »
    From the Guardian:

People need to take a chill pill
    As someone with cancer which has compromised my immune system, why the f*ck should I take a chill pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I presented data from CDC. I made no comment on it.

you said "At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died"

which is completely false.

what you should have said was;

"at least 6.8 percent of people who developed both the flu and pneumonia during this particular week in the United States have died"

i don't expect you to understand the difference though so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

We need a drinking game. Every time someone uses CDC in their post. Down a shot. They way we are arguing the fúcking drink will get us before the bastárd kung-flu.

• Advertisement

CDC article. Interesting reading. Might help frame debate.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,573 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I didn't misrepresent it. The article I quoted did.
    Honestly stop digging....you did.
    You also quoted it...at least admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You would think testing and quarantining people arriving from affected areas would be an immediate and obvious action.

We're days, if not weeks, too late even if we start this tomorrow.

The people in charge have basically put their hands up and just said, "nothing we can do here, best of luck".

Its a bit mad. Hard not to label it gross negligence tbh.

The dice has effectively been rolled on our health, and we're a couple of weeks away from seeing where it lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

It's crazy that these kids back from the ski trip are not quarantined how many other kids are they going to be meeting parents etc

Dazzler, assuming the death rate is at your upper limit of 1%, how many times more deadly is that then the flu? I know a vaccine would bring it down further.

7-8 times. But that's why I'm so confident but will be under that. Easy win for me.

froog wrote: »
    you said "At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died"

which is completely false.

what you should have said was;

"at least 6.8 percent of people who developed both the flu and pneumonia during this particular week in the United States have died"

i don't expect you to understand the difference though so don't worry about it.

Again it wasn't my text. Healthline article direct quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sorry if I've missed this info already, but does anyone know is there a likely/probable way that viruses behave the further away from the epicentre they get? Do we know if, as they mutate, they are more likely to mutate for the better or for the worse?

It is the same virus, it doesn't change because it's in a different country - no mutations have been found at the moment
    Mutations may happen and it gets worse or becomes more milder like the common cold but that could be a long time away or it could happen next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

MD1990 wrote: »
    What a disgrace people coming back from affected area's should be in qurantine for up to now at least 21 days maybe 30 if they are coming from an affected doesnt't matter if they are not showing any symptoms

Really, all of them?

The US
    UK
    France
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Northern Italy
    and many many more

And should this be a voluntary quarantine? Or should it be enforced? If it should be enforced, describe how?

I'd like to know about the actual ramifications of your interesting proposal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I mentioned earlier, the need to flatten the curve.

Will it ever be recorded, the numbers of people who may pass, because the ICU wards have been full with COVID19, but did not certify for this condition.

The people who did not have this virus, but succombed or were otherwise ill because of lack of resources.

There is going to be a difficult choice to make for the clinicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's really bizarre people attempting to downplay this. Have they actually been following whats going on in China since early January?

They actually havent. The vast majority of people havent seen have of those crazy videos from China. We just assume they have as much time as us to absorb the internet as we have.

This is NOT normal. Even for China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

drkpower wrote: »
    Really, all of them?

The US
    UK
    France
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Northern Italy
    and many many more

And should this be a voluntary quarantine? Or should it be enforced? If it should be enforced, describe how?

I'd like to know about the actual ramifications of your interesting proposal.
    Would say areas with over 50 confirmed cases

gmisk wrote: »
    Honestly stop digging....you did.
    You also quoted it...at least admit it.

I quoted directly from Healthline. I linked article earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1232427454662348800

He says we don't have huge evidence asymptomatic transmission is occuring.

It has been confirmed that it is occurring https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-confirmed-patients-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-without-showing-symptoms

Prime time was an example of obfuscation and deception. When some flight cancellation from infected areas was suggested by Mirriam there was a retort about "you can't quarantine 2 or 3 million" visitors. Complete whitewashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Knex. wrote: »
    You would think quarantining people arriving from affected areas would be an immediate and obvious action.

We're days, if not weeks, too late even if we start this tomorrow.

The people in charge have basically put their hands up and just said, "nothing we can do here, best of luck".

Its a bit mad. Hard not to label it gross negligence tbh.

The dice has effectively been rolled on our health, and we're a couple of weeks away from seeing where it lands.

Economy over society. "Sure it will only be the old and sick that will die"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CDC article. Interesting reading. Might help frame debate.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

Better?

Not interesting in the slightest

Sean 18 wrote: »
    It's crazy that these kids back from the ski trip are not quarantined how many other kids are they going to be meeting parents etc

Whats the basis for quarantining them? The mere fact that they passed through an area in which Covid has infected people?

Voluntary quarantine or enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

developed a fast tracking Covid-19 test that apparently delivers results in an hour, they apparently sent it over to China during the Wuhan crisis for scientists to test there.
    Which sounds very promising. But it is still one step in providing a test that has been proven effective and can be used worldwide.

We'll say one test can give a result in an hour.
    A lab receives 3,000 samples a day every day until the pandemic dies down.

Then you have a backlog. Then you're taking days or weeks for results.

Would say areas with over 50 confirmed cases

Why 50?

Should the quarantine be enforced by state forces?

Lads. The percentage in that CDC is a percentage of all deaths that week so if there was 1000 deaths in the US. 68 of them would be due to flu and pneumonia. What I can't figure out is if they are including bacterial pneumonia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Probably just facebook using confusing links,

Heres the actual link sorry:

https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/posts/10157259776217060

Contact your doctor, Kill that poor old bastard lol. Walking into a Doctors waiting room is worst advice you could give.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement