Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Voluntary self isolation etc to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was talking to an experienced front line nurse. They have had no guidance or instructions on a potential outbreak in Ireland.

My wifes one of them. General consensus Its going to overwhelm the health system in days here when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

drkpower wrote: »
    Really, all of them?

The US
    UK
    France
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Northern Italy
    and many many more

And should this be a voluntary quarantine? Or should it be enforced? If it should be enforced, describe how?

I'd like to know about the actual ramifications of your interesting proposal.
    Again deliberate confusion. Italy yes why not? It has the biggest outbreak. Stringent checks at the airports and ports. Remember the foot and mouth checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Voluntary self isolation etc to be on the safe side

And if they say,as they may, 'screw that; i havent been on contact with sick people; im going to school/work/a concert', what is the response you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

What are the chances of a complete shutdown of air and sea travel around Europe in the coming months, would it be a possibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lads. The percentage in that CDC is a percentage of all deaths that week so if there was 1000 deaths in the US. 68 of them would be due to flu and pneumonia. What I can't figure out is if they are including bacterial pneumonia?

I assume if it was flu related it would be included in the flu numbers but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

There will be a lengthy enquiry in the aftermath

System failure

Nobody will be found guilty

Guilty of what? You cant blame people for something they didnt create and occurs often and naturally.

Again deliberate confusion. Italy yes why not? It has the biggest outbreak. Stringent checks at the airports and ports. Remember the foot and mouth checks?

Just Italy?
    Why not the others?

What 'stringent' checks to do you suggest? What are the checkers looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not interesting in the slightest

I found it interesting. Unfortunately viruses kill people everyday and doesn't get the hype of this virus. Why is that? Why don't we talk about it as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Everyone needs to take a step back I think. There is absolutely no reason to be "scared" or panicked.

There is a danger of us across the west talking ourselves in to trouble here socially, economically etc when the facts don't show that level of concern is in any way warranted.

Bit of perspective.

• Advertisement

I assume if it was flu related it would be included in the flu numbers but...

Yeah. I'm not sure. It doesn't specifically say. I suppose they are both infectious diseases.

Well I don't know I'm not an expert but you think their parents would be able to persuade them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

drkpower wrote: »
    Why 50?

Should the quarantine be enforced by state forces?

Why not? Roll out the national guard, enforce a quarantine where needed like they did in the UK. This needs a tough line taken.

joe_99 wrote: »
    I found it interesting. Unfortunately viruses kill people everyday and doesn't get the hype of this virus. Why is that? Why don't we talk about it as much?

Thought it interesting because you completely misread it

Well I don't know I'm not an expert but you think their parents would be able to persuade them

What if their parents felt the same, as many might.

It was your suggestion; im just trying to explore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,573 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

saabsaab wrote: »
    Why not? Roll out the national guard, enforce a quarantine where needed like they did in the UK. This needs a tough line taken.
    They enforced a quarantine on only a very small number of people e.g.the people from that cruise ship I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

It is the same virus, it doesn't change because it's in a different country - no mutations have been found at the moment
    Mutations may happen and it gets worse or becomes more milder like the common cold but that could be a long time away or it could happen next week

I read somewhere the situation in Iran is dire, a more virulent strain of the virus maybe..

Well their as childish as their children then if they can't see they seriousness

Steer55 wrote: »
    I read somewhere the situation in Iran is dire, a more virulent strain of the virus maybe..

As bad as China for numbers - rumours of 1000's infected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,573 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Steer55 wrote: »
    I doubt it more likely a crappy healthcare system and not following protocols etc.
    Not surprising given a lot of the people in the government running the response have now got it seemingly.

saabsaab wrote: »

The Uk quarantined specific direct contacts; what has been suggested is a quarantine of anyone returning from any area that has recorded cases of Covid.

Do you suggest the latter? If so, on what basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Thought it interesting because you completely misread it

Enough of the abuse now. Thanks

I quoted a CDC report that we are all talking about now. Including yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My wifes one of them. General consensus Its going to overwhelm the health system in days here when it arrives.

Iv'e heard from a member of my family that the HSE has 12 spare ventilators for the whole of Ireland would she have any more info on this or could she confirm? I'm finding this impossible to believe if im honest but i don't know.

Well their as childish as their children then if they can't see they seriousness

Sure; so what do you propose be done with the childish children or childish parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Yes they are. And this person has nothing but contempt for the HSE apparatchiks including the man at the helm. And as usual you get the FG/FF cheerleaders spouting that there's nothing to worry about.

STOP!! Just do not make this virus which is a public health emergency about Sinn Féin or politics. This is a pending national emergency which will need the interim government with the support of the opposition to implement measures as needed. IRFU and Sinn Féin cheerleaders should hang their heads in shame putting money and power over the health and well-being of Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gmisk wrote: »
    They enforced a quarantine on only a very small number of people e.g.the people from that cruise ship I think

Still a fairly small number here. They did it for Wuhan returnees and some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Everyone needs to take a step back I think. There is absolutely no reason to be "scared" or panicked.

There is a danger of us across the west talking ourselves in to trouble here socially, economically etc when the facts don't show that level of concern is in any way warranted.

Bit of perspective.
    Systems put in place too minimise the risk is all one can or should expect. People are concerned due to the poor track record of successive governments in health

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Iv'e heard from a member of my family that the HSE has 12 spare ventilators for the whole of Ireland would she have any more info on this or could she confirm? I'm finding this impossible to believe if im honest but i don't know.

I would find that too oddly specific to be anything more than hearsay unless they were working in a directorate level of an ICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That BNO map always looks so weird with cases covering everywhere but Africa and South America

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement