Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Systems put in place too minimise the risk is all one can or should expect. People are concerned due to the poor track record of successive governments in health

What are the systems you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Carol25 wrote: »
    STOP!! Just do not make this virus which is a public health emergency about Sinn Féin or politics. This is a pending national emergency which will need the interim government with the support of the opposition to implement measures as needed. IRFU and Sinn Féin cheerleaders should hang their heads in shame putting money and power over the health and well-being of Irish citizens.

Literally in the same post.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

I haven't a clue you should be asking Simon Harris this when people start falling in the street like they did in China

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All schools, kindergartens, universities in Bahrain have been closed as number of cases reach 17 in one day
    https://www.gulf-insider.com/coronavirus-update-all-schools-kindergartens-closed-in-bahrain/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think there’s low confidence in the HSE and the reported hands off, low impact approach they’re taking (eg no checks in the airports) and suggestions they’re downplaying the likes of the returning students from Italy whereas in other jurisdictions like the UK and north they’re taking proactive steps... well, it probably doesn’t help give the HSE the credibility it will need if there’s an actual outbreak and they’re trying to get us all to play along with an Italian style quarantine.

There is lots of literature in research about healthcare workers abandoning their posts during a pandemic. The breakdown of the healthcare system generally leads to a lot of deaths - if the hospital and ambulance service is overrun, your chances of dying of a bog standard heart attack goes up; let alone what might happen if you’re in recovery and catch the virus.

And can we stop the tiresome debates back and forth on the stats. Mods keep warning against it because it’s really tiresome and there’s no right answer with the data available. All we can say is that major governments are taking major steps against it, probably for good reason!

• Advertisement

Sean 18 wrote: »
    I haven't a clue you should be asking Simon Harris this when people start falling in the street like they did in China

If you dont have a clue, then why are you suggesting quarantining people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Contact your doctor, Kill that poor old bastard lol. Walking into a Doctors waiting room is worst advice you could give.
    Thank god no symptoms are showing up... YET. A Concerned parent

Poor mother. The non symptomatic phase has been reported to be as long as 27 days. She wont know for sure for weeks is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

San Francisco declares state of emergency over coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/484602-san-francisco-declares-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus

They don’t even have any cases yet. Complete overreaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Carol25 wrote: »
    STOP!! Just do not make this virus which is a public health emergency about Sinn Féin or politics. This is a pending national emergency which will need the interim government with the support of the opposition to implement measures as needed. IRFU and Sinn Féin cheerleaders should hang their heads in shame putting money and power over the health and well-being of Irish citizens.

Don't make it about politics

Yet all you wrote was political angles

And its the first one I've read here that's brought politics into it.

You can't switch off can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

Another case in Spain, this one in Madrid, a 24 year old who’s been in Italy recently. All 5 positive people in Spain had been in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

AS RECEIVED ::

The new NCP coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days then how can one know if he/ she is infected ?
    Latest information is that the incubation period may be upto 28 days before the symptoms of COVID 19 are evident.

By the time a person has fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs are usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late !

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning ;

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds.
    If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness , etc , it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY.
    Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least.
    WHY ?
    Even if the virus does enter into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach.
    Once there , your stomach ACID’s will kill all the virus.
    If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS.
    That's very dangerous.

Pls send and share with family, friends and everyone about this !

Take care everyone & may the world recovers from corona virus soon.

May all be well & happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fritzelly wrote: »

Apparently this man is only 47. Wife also has symptoms, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

That BNO map always looks so weird with cases covering everywhere but Africa and South America

Just thought that myself. India seems very quiet as well.

I suspect that if a large amount of testing was carried out across the globe there would be cases everywhere at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That BNO map always looks so weird with cases covering everywhere but Africa and South America

I wonder if that ties in with the idea that the virus doesn't thrive as well in hotter weather with it being summer in South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    They actually havent. The vast majority of people havent seen have of those crazy videos from China. We just assume they have as much time as us to absorb the internet as we have.

This is NOT normal. Even for China.

FFS.
    That sounds like a school playground. :rolleyes:
    Never realised a flu caused the suffering to scream aloud.

tillyfilly wrote: »

The new NCP coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days then how can one know if he/ she is infected ?
    Latest information is that the incubation period may be upto 28 days before the symptoms of COVID 19 are evident.

By the time a person has fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs are usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late !

If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness , etc , it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY.
    WHY ?
    Even if the virus does enter into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach.
    If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS.
    That's very dangerous.

May all be well & happy.

:D

But staying hydrated is a good idea but that whole thing is complete malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Because it's killed a lot of people and it could be dangerous here

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I think there’s low confidence in the HSE and the reported hands off, low impact approach they’re taking (eg no checks in the airports) .....

I agree with much of what you say; but on 'checks at the airports', what are you suggesting:

What are they checking for?
    If they find what they are checking for, what is the response?
    What benefit will that bring?
    What detriment might it bring?

'checks at the airports' sounds attractive to the ear but as a policy response, it needs to be a little bit more worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Literally in the same post.

hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

:D

But staying hydrated is a good idea but that whole thing is complete malarkey.

Ok professor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

drkpower wrote: »
    If you dont have a clue, then why are you suggesting quarantining people?

You are exhausting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It's all about the money they can claim

It is nearly impossible that South America and Africa have no cases. Indonesia too, with it's high population density and close social,economic and transport links to China, simply could not have zero cases

Think I heard France will begin testing all patients with pneumonia now for the virus, we will see an 'explosion' of cases similar to Italy then despite the cases being there for weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

What's the deal with the coronavirus from what I gather it's like the flu , except worse if you ve pre existing health problems, but outside of that you are fairly sure to survive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,391 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ikozma wrote: »
    What are the chances of a complete shutdown of air and sea travel around Europe in the coming months, would it be a possibility?

Nope. It would be completely counterproductive and an overreaction once the virus has already become so widespread that it’s not possible to contain anymore. You want to also close down all businesses, schools, public facilities, restaurants, sporting and recreation facilities.....?

This is a virus that is 98% non lethal and we will probably have a vaccine for it within 18 months.

Shutting down the economy will kill many more vulnerable people than this virus would on its own

If I was dependent on medication right now, I’d be more worried about my meds being unavailable because of restrictions on travel than the risk of me getting Covid 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Just thought that myself. India seems very quiet as well.

I suspect that if a large amount of testing was carried out across the globe there would be cases everywhere at this stage.

Yeah very suspicious about India and north Korea ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

fritzelly wrote: »
    It is the same virus, it doesn't change because it's in a different country - no mutations have been found at the moment
    Mutations may happen and it gets worse or becomes more milder like the common cold but that could be a long time away or it could happen next week

Thank you and sorry I think I phrased my question incorrectly. I really meant the longer it goes on are mutations more likely to be for the better or worse. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    They actually havent. The vast majority of people havent seen have of those crazy videos from China. We just assume they have as much time as us to absorb the internet as we have.

This is NOT normal. Even for China.

I saw that video 2, maybe 3 weeks ago, albeit without the commentary. I'm not convinced about its authenticity to be honest.

It's definitely creepy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,573 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tillyfilly wrote: »

WHY ?
    That's very dangerous.

May all be well & happy.
    Where did you get that? It reads like a Facebook dump of nonsense.

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    What's the deal with the coronavirus from what I gather it's like the flu , except worse if you ve pre existing health problems, but outside of that you are fairly sure to survive ?

Fairly sure to almost certain, yes. It is not a dangerous disease if you are healthy and under 60

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement