Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

gmisk wrote: »
    Where did you get that? It reads like a Facebook dump of nonsense.

Reputable source

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Where did you get that? It reads like a Facebook dump of nonsense.

Replace water with whiskey and it seems line a great idea.

I mean it still wouldnt help much, but it would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

kevcos wrote: »
    FFS.
    That sounds like a school playground. :rolleyes:
    Never realised a flu caused the suffering to scream aloud.

That's like a horror movie if it's true some pain for the so called flu ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cupatae wrote: »
    What's the deal with the coronavirus from what I gather it's like the flu , except worse if you ve pre existing health problems, but outside of that you are fairly sure to survive ?
    It's a lot more deadly than the flu I would say (looking at percentages), the fact it can lead to pneumonia is serious.
    But yes the majority of deaths seem to be older people or those with underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

State of emergency announced in San Francisco over Covid19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

BanditLuke wrote: »

With a total of 0 cases! Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Akrasia wrote: »

If I was dependent on medication right now, I’d be more worried about my meds being unavailable because of restrictions on travel than the risk of me getting Covid 19

Never knew passengers carried people's medical supplies on commercial flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BanditLuke wrote: »

It is a common thing in America to do this, it just secures funding and allows special planning powers for the foreseeable in order to better deal with the issue should it occur. Several states and counties in the US have done this days or weeks ago in anticipation of an epidemic but not because of any immediate/imminent new perceived threat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

duffman13 wrote: »

I know right its almost as if some people realise that getting ahead of this thing before it strikes might save more lives....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dazzler a few have been asking this, say you think your infected and you phone that HSE number, no doubt there will be a few questions, they find out you've not been to China, Iran, Italy etc, but you can't explain how you feel you become infected. I presume they would say maybe call back if I get into breathing difficulties. So say I do get into breathing difficulties and I phone the number again, will they actually send out the hazmat squad to collect me. I've seen reports on the thread about HSE recommending to people to phone their GP, what do you say to that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Reputable source
    If it's reputable tell us...
    It is so poorly worded I am doubtful to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

drkpower wrote: »
    I agree with much of what you say; but on 'checks at the airports', what are you suggesting:

What are they checking for?
    If they find what they are checking for, what is the response?
    What benefit will that bring?
    What detriment might it bring?

'checks at the airports' sounds attractive to the ear but as a policy response, it needs to be a little bit more worked out.

They’re performing checks at airports around the world currently. Last time I flew through Dublin, the HSE information sheet on the virus was displaying sideways on the digital screens. Even if it’s health security theatre, they need to build public confidence as well as pulling out the obvious cases. The suspicion is that other countries are doing it but we are not because the HSE does not have the capability, and won’t have the capability to deal with a pandemic, so if it kicks off why believe or trust them and follow their instructions.

Dazzler a few have been asking this, say you think your infected and you phone that HSE number, no doubt there will be a few questions, they find out you've not been to China, Iran, Italy etc, but you can't explain how you feel you become infected. I presume they would say maybe call back if I get into breathing difficulties. So say I do get into breathing difficulties and I phone the number again, will they actually send out the hazmat squad to collect me. I've seen reports on the thread about HSE recommending to people to phone their GP, what do you say to that.

In fairness he's only a pharmacist. It's hardly fair to expect him to speak for the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Thank you and sorry I think I phrased my question incorrectly. I really meant the longer it goes on are mutations more likely to be for the better or worse. Thanks for the reply.

The virus is always mutating. Lack of proofreading in the gene replication causes errors (mutations) plus multiple DNA bases. These viruses have evolved to be error prone in replication so as to evade the defenses of the cells they affect, as a survival strategy. The ability of the virus to mutate advances faster than the ability to track the evolution because as infections increase the number of opportunities increase in a non linear exponential way too.

Caveat. I don't work in primary care but if you were having trouble breathing. I'd be ringing an ambulance. **** the quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Nope. It would be completely counterproductive and an overreaction once the virus has already become so widespread that it’s not possible to contain anymore. You want to also close down all businesses, schools, public facilities, restaurants, sporting and recreation facilities.....?

This is a virus that is 98% non lethal and we will probably have a vaccine for it within 18 months.

Shutting down the economy will kill many more vulnerable people than this virus would on its own

If I was dependent on medication right now, I’d be more worried about my meds being unavailable because of restrictions on travel than the risk of me getting Covid 19

The WHO says different. They have praised china for shutting down all travel and doing mass lockdowns though despite whatever effects it has had on the economy. The guy who was just in Wuhan was again emphasising the value of the lockdowns.

Doesn't make sense, whats the difference between China and the rest of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

VinLieger wrote: »
    I know right its almost as if some people realise that getting ahead of this thing before it strikes might save more lives....

It's almost as if declaring a state of emergency in states in America gets you access to loads of money. It's an over reaction at this point, plan accordingly and screen patients from affected areas. By all means if you have 5 or 6 cases developing quickly then do it. They'll create hysteria with that call in San Fran, its bizarre

Prevention is better than cure prevention is better than cure prevention is better than cure prevention is better than cure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The WHO says different. They have praised china for shutting down all travel and doing mass lockdowns though despite whatever effects it has had on the economy. The guy who was just in Wuhan was again emphasising the value of the lockdowns.

Doesn't make sense, whats the difference between China and the rest of the world?

China decided to do that not at the instructions of the WHO
    WHO cannot tell anyone what to do

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not interesting in the slightest
    Thought it interesting because you completely misread it

Give it a rest. No-one is interested in whether you consider it interesting or not, but posting a comment in that way is not contributing to the discussion

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Advertisement

In fairness he's only a pharmacist. It's hardly fair to expect him to speak for the HSE.
    Ouch. That cuts deep. I'm bleeding here. Hope whatever job you do makes a difference to the country nationally as mine does :)
    God bless, petal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

China decided to do that not at the instructions of the WHO
    WHO cannot tell anyone what to do

Aye I know. I am talking about their experts opinions on the right thing to do. i.e. why would they think quarantine lockdowns and travel bans are the correct course of action for China but not for Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

duffman13 wrote: »

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Mayor-London-Breed-declares-state-of-emergency-15083999.php

It is a funding release mechanism. The funny thing is I was just thinking that really HSE should have been planning Ox and ICU bed spaces weeks ago, but I very much doubt they were, the writing in on the wall for SF, they are right to get their ducks in a row as much as possible before it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

VinLieger wrote: »

I suspect it may have more to do with pissing off Trump than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

If it's reputable tell us...
    It is so poorly worded I am doubtful to say the least.

Japanese doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Crazy that there have been no cases reported in London or New York still

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Replace water with whiskey and it seems line a great idea.

I mean it still wouldnt help much, but it would be fun.

Reminds me of that movie Grabbers where the village realises that the aliens won't eat you if you have alcohol in your bloodstream so they all go on a bender

• Registered Users Posts: 22,392 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

fr336 wrote: »
    Never knew passengers carried people's medical supplies on commercial flights.

Lots of commercial flights (almost all of them) carry high value cargo like medical supplies

Everyone needs to take a step back I think. There is absolutely no reason to be "scared" or panicked.

There is a danger of us across the west talking ourselves in to trouble here socially, economically etc when the facts don't show that level of concern is in any way warranted.

Bit of perspective.

No danger of 95% of people taking it seriously Kermit so you can rest easy on the social and economic effects.

• Advertisement

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Japanese doctor
    So a random post by a "Japanese doctor" on the web?
    I kinda thought so.
    Why not post a link if it's such a reputable source?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement