Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's really bizarre people attempting to downplay this. Have they actually been following whats going on in China since early January?

People of the lowest IQ are the ones saying it will be all grand.

No point in debating with people who say it is just like flu.

Also the numbers coming out of China are pure and utter lies.

What are the real numbers?

Time with tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Nijmegen wrote: »
    They’re performing checks at airports around the world currently. Last time I flew through Dublin, the HSE information sheet on the virus was displaying sideways on the digital screens. Even if it’s health security theatre, they need to build public confidence as well as pulling out the obvious cases. The suspicion is that other countries are doing it but we are not because the HSE does not have the capability, and won’t have the capability to deal with a pandemic, so if it kicks off why believe or trust them and follow their instructions.

What are the obvious cases? Someone with a temperature? How many of those do you think you will pick up? What do you do it with them? How many will have Covid?

That's the issue; building public confidence with an ineffective PR show that draws resources away from where they are better deployed will do nothing to help anyone. Quite the opposite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Carol25 wrote: »
    STOP!! Just do not make this virus which is a public health emergency about Sinn F or politics. This is a pending national emergency which will need the interim government with the support of the opposition to implement measures as needed. IRFU and Sinn F cheerleaders should hang their heads in shame putting money and power over the health and well-being of Irish citizens.

I'm not a sinn Fein supporter. Who has been in power the last 20 years? Who has made the health service a deplorable mess for the least well off and most vulnerable in society. You fairly took the bait there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭josip

Akrasia wrote: »
    ... we will probably have a vaccine for it within 18 months.

What are you so confident there will be a vaccine in what would be an extremely short timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

wakka12 wrote: »
    Crazy that there have been no cases reported in London or New York still

Especially with the tube and the subway as major transport over there. Tbf you could say the same about the DART during peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,392 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People of the lowest IQ are the ones saying it will be all grand.

No point in debating with people who say it is just like flu.

Also the numbers coming out of China are pure and utter lies.

What are the real numbers?

Time with tell.

People of the lowest iq can’t read or work social media.....

Ouch. That cuts deep. I'm bleeding here. Hope whatever job you do makes a difference to the country nationally as mine does :)
    God bless, petal.

Sorry you took me up that way. I meant 'only' as in your not Paul Reid or whoever the director general of the HSE is and it's not fair to expect you to answer for the HSE while so many of us are in here complaining of their shortcomings.

Well done on making a difference to the country nationally. I'm sure the things I do pale in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

drkpower wrote: »
    What are the obvious cases? Someone with a temperature? How many of those do you think you will pick up? What do you do it with them? How many will have Covid?

That's the issue; building public confidence with an ineffective PR show that draws resources away from where they are better deployed will do nothing to help anyone. Quite the opposite?
    I'm very tempted to insert a famous Abraham Lincoln quote here but I won't bother. Anyway we're all hoping for the best outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

josip wrote: »
    What are you so confident there will be a vaccine in what would be an extremely short timeframe?
    There are biotech companies like Moderna claiming they will be starting human trials on possible vaccine in 6 weeks.
    The WHO have said they expect one within 18 months also.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

fr336 wrote: »
    Never knew passengers carried people's medical supplies on commercial flights.

Most of that kind of cargo is carried on passenger flights. If borders are closed to passengers, those flights don’t go and the cargo doesn’t either. Closing the airports, even just for passenger flights, would cause significant supply chain disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

gmisk wrote: »
    There are biotech companies like Moderna claiming they will be starting human trials in 6 weeks.
    The WHO have said they expect one within 18 months also.

The moderna vaccine has to go through clinical trials. Even fast-tracked, you are probably looking at the guts of a year.

The midterms vaccine has to go through clinical trials. Even fast-tracked, you are probably looking at the guts of a year.
    Oh yes I would say so, I was just saying that 18 months figure the WHO have seems realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ouch. That cuts deep. I'm bleeding here. Hope whatever job you do makes a difference to the country nationally as mine does :)
    God bless, petal.

In fairness to buile, I didn't read his post the same way you did.
    I think the 'only' in the context was intended to cut you some slack, not to belittle your job.
    In the way that you did his/hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

gmisk wrote: »
    So a random post by a "Japanese doctor" on the web?
    I kinda thought so.
    Why not post a link if it's such a reputable source?

Hardly random he’s a doctor in japan on the front line

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi guys ,
    Some of you are obviously very well read on this topic. I’m not worried about myself getting it , I am fit and healthy, but one of my children has a condition that can affect his lungs and he is prone to pneumonia ( he has had flu and pneumonia vaccine of course) . We are all careful at hand washing in the family. I was just wondering what is so special about the masks everyone is queuing for? Can I just make my own from fabric to- cover nose and mouth?

Make your own masks: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+mask+virus

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Link? Actual source?

The midterms vaccine has to go through clinical trials. Even fast-tracked, you are probably looking at the guts of a year.

Interesting that people seem keen to get a vaccine available for use. Similar to the feeling on the ground when swine flu appeared on the scene. Indemnifying the fast tracking of that vaccine seems to have backfired spectacularly for the government. I wonder will they be so quick this time, or will we have to wait for the full, rigorous, and lengthy trialling process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

God bless, petal.

BuileBeag's reply wasn't a put down, in fairness.

Maybe it was a poor translation then, because most of it was rubbish!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really think we should chill out here.

Of course, the numbers will rise.

Everywhere, they will rise in to the millions.

Most people will get this, for most its just fine.

Keep an eye on some, it can be dangerous.

• Advertisement

Thanks josip and auspicious. In fairness to the dazzler when I read his response I could immediately see where 'only' may have been a poor choice of word. This thread is just moving so fast you don't have time to think! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I really think we should chill out here.

Of course, the numbers will rise.

Everywhere, they will rise in to the millions.

Most people will get this, for most its just fine.

Keep an eye on some, it can be dangerous.

Thank you oh wise one. I feel at ease now.

Candamir wrote: »
    Maybe it was a poor translation then, because most of it was rubbish!
    You have to take it as genuine though come on.
    It said the below....and I mean it was also in capitals so you know it's from a reputable source!

"SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Ikozma wrote: »
    What are the chances of a complete shutdown of air and sea travel around Europe in the coming months, would it be a possibility?

Look nobody can give numbers because nobody knows.

But yes it is very possible.

Would you like to travel somewhere for a week and be stuck there six weeks in a lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=109477550496291&story_fbid=176873370423375

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I'm not a sinn Fein supporter. Who has been in power the last 20 years? Who has made the health service a deplorable mess for the least well off and most vulnerable in society. You fairly took the bait there

This is a thread about a virus which is fast becoming an emergency. You first mentioned FF/FG in your post (others in reply accused me of posting re politics first) and basically just posted a Sinn Fein mantra above. This is not the time or place for partisan politics which is why I am ignoring the other replies. Start another thread if you want that debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Why have China gone on a war footing to contain their outbreak while we are being told to accept it will be everywhere else like the flu? It peaked in China too apparently. So China have been turned it around from the worst possible starting position but we should let it run its course. Seems to be the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Carol25 wrote: »
    This is a thread about a virus which is fast becoming an emergency. You first mentioned FF/FG in your post (others in reply accused me of posting re politics first) and basically just posted a Sinn Fein mantra above. This is not the time or place for partisan politics which is why I am ignoring the other replies. Start another thread if you want that debate.

Thought SF meant San Fran! 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hope some of yis never have to cross the road the way yis are goin on :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement