Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A man has tested positive for coronavirus in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

He was in northern Italy earlier this month

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We have a lying Chinese Government and the HSE are as useful as a chocolate teapot so no real numbers are elusive.

That is why I said time will tell.
    I quite like this site.
    I am not saying it is entirely accurate (and as you say the numbers are probably off) but at least the figures are sourced (seemingly at least) and clear.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Case confirmed in brazil. that's all continents now excluding antartica.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Brazil's health ministry says a man has tested positive but they are going to test again to be sure. It would be South America's first official case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

We have a lying Chinese Government and the HSE are as useful as a chocolate teapot so no real numbers are elusive.

That is why I said time will tell.

People want the google machine to throw up some stats or facts relating to this virus. But they forget we are in the middle of it - stats and facts are constantly changing and we won’t know enough to act accordingly hence why prevention is the best policy not the “ah sure it will be grand” nonsense we see here on this thread. “Sure isn’t it like the flu” yeah that’s a great way of preparing yourself comparing it to something it isn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Saw in Twitter that a writer called Dean Koontz wrote a fiction novel in 1981 called The Eyes of Darkness. Later editions of the book ( since 2008) refer to the Wuhan - 400 a deadly virus. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Unearthly wrote: »
    Brazil's health ministry says a man has tested positive but they are going to test again to be sure. It would be South America's first official case

It’s a pandemic now, no matter what the WHO say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Isint it carnival week in Brazil too? Masses and masses of people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

froog wrote: »
    Case confirmed in brazil. that's all continents now excluding antartica.

Some posters here thinking it is cold there just what the virus needs how have they managed to keep this out?

d0f98a50c8d83aa846f41f543b486898.jpg

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Would have went with “no matter what why where when the WHO say”

I’ll get me coat.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italian or Chinese food?

The Brazil man was in Northern Italy for 12 days during February.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

turbbo wrote: »
    If you say so I’m guessing drinking water and drinking water are 2 completely different things - yeah I missed that.

The only similarity is that it says to drink plenty of water (to stay hydrated). The other link says to sip water every 15 minutes to wash the virus into the stomach so it doesn’t get into the lungs and cause the disease (paraphrasing). Not like viruses ever had trouble infecting via mucosal membranes (Mouth, nose, eyes) - they don’t need to get into the lungs.
    So yeah, both say drink water, one for a good reason, one for a fairly rubbish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Not at all, sure it isn't in Antarctica

Candamir wrote: »
    The only similarity is that it says to drink plenty of water (to stay hydrated). The other link says to sip water every 15 minutes to wash the virus into the stomach so it doesn’t get into the lungs and cause the disease (paraphrasing). Not like viruses ever had trouble infecting via mucosal membranes (Mouth, nose, eyes) - they don’t need to get into the lungs.
    So yeah, both say drink water, one for a good reason, one for a fairly rubbish one.

Ffs what is it with people on this thing trying to outsmart each other it isn’t a completion to get likes ye know, there’s no prize!!

I leave this here might get a few likes:

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told CNN Philippines’ The Source that a dry throat makes it easier for virus to enter one’s system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭brevity

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a voluntary ban from this thread.

I think the procedure is to isolate yourself

2 more cases in Spain. Again they were in Italy. 7 confirmed in Spain last 24 hours. Source BNO

Italy spreading it all over the place now

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Ffs what is it with people on this thing trying to outsmart each other it isn’t a completion to get likes ye know, there’s no prize!!

I leave this here might get a few likes:

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told CNN Philippines’ The Source that a dry throat makes it easier for virus to enter one’s system.

It’s not a competition - the link from the ‘Japanese doctor’ was rubbish. The second one that says to stay hydrated had some good advice. That’s all.

brevity wrote: »
    I think the procedure is to isolate yourself
    Ok shut this thread down this post won't be beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I know stats are up in the air but this link is interesting as it breaks down the CFR based on age ranges.

It seems from these stats that in general in a healthy person under 40 the CFR is similar to flu.

Obviously as the virus is still ongoing, take it with a pinch of salt.

Looking back over the likes of swine flu, Sars and Mers the current coronavirus seems to have the upper hand when it comes to spreadability and RO rates, while so far it's understood to be less lethal than Sars and Mers at least.

Sars and Mers outbreaks were relatively shortlived but here we have Coronavirus which has infected (so far if stats are to believed) ten times as many people than Sars and killed triple the amount of people.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/18/21142009/coronavirus-covid19-china-wuhan-deaths-pandemic

• Advertisement

Candamir wrote: »
    It’s not a competition - the link from the ‘Japanese doctor’ was rubbish. The second one that says to stay hydrated had some good advice. That’s all.

No it doesn’t say anything about staying hydrated - staying hydrated wether you’re healthy or sick is a good idea. Will you re-read my last post before I have to copy and paste it again for you.

People want the google machine to throw up some stats or facts relating to this virus. But they forget we are in the middle of it - stats and facts are constantly changing and we won’t know enough to act accordingly hence why prevention is the best policy not the “ah sure it will be grand” nonsense we see here on this thread. “Sure isn’t it like the flu” yeah that’s a great way of preparing yourself comparing it to something it isn’t.

Totally agree with this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What about the Honduras case from a week ago, I notice it was dropped from the John Hopkins thingy, was that unconfirmed and negative then.

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2020/02/19/first-suspected-coronavirus-case-registered-in-honduras-health-authorities/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

auspicious wrote: »
    BuileBeag's reply wasn't a put down, in fairness.

I read it as such. In my eyes, it was a dig which I now realise was incorrect.says It happens a lot to pharmacists because of how much we earn. I apologise to Buile. Friends?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Not at all, sure it isn't in Antarctica

Or the moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok shut this thread down this post won't be beaten

What’s the chances that Ireland and it’s “public health emergency team” that sat down this afternoon came up with anything useful. I suspect they were all middle aged - elderly, sipping tea.

If we had any gumption we would ban all flights from Italy to Ireland as a start. Even though it is too late at this stage.

I would imagine the likelihood of our powers in charge doing anything remotely like the above are next to never in a million years.

“4 New hand sanitizers placed in Dublin airport to battle the virus”.
    As a small island we are still not self sufficient, we are dictated by what goes on abroad and in the UK. And largely driven by money over intelligence too doesn’t help. The paddy can’t handle money

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2 more cases in Spain. Again they were in Italy. 7 confirmed in Spain last 24 hours. Source BNO

Italy spreading it all over the place now

Looking less likely the Italy vs Ireland game will go ahead in fairness.

fr336 wrote: »
    Or the moon

I think some of the it will be all grand posters are however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    They actually havent. The vast majority of people havent seen have of those crazy videos from China. We just assume they have as much time as us to absorb the internet as we have.

This is NOT normal. Even for China.
    No idea if it's authentic or not, but that's chilling.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What’s the chances that Ireland and it’s “public health emergency team” that sat down this afternoon came up with anything useful. I suspect they were all middle aged - elderly, sipping tea.

If we had any gumption we would ban all flights from Italy to Ireland as a start. Even though it is too late at this stage.

I would imagine the likelihood of our powers in charge doing anything remotely like the above are next to never in a million years.

“4 New hand sanitizers placed in Dublin airport to battle the virus”.
    As a small island we are still not self sufficient, we are dictated by what goes on abroad and in the UK. And largely driven by money over intelligence too doesn’t help. The paddy can’t handle money
    Id say it involved them looking at the NHS website.
    Then they would decide to run a 6 week open competition for the 4 new hand sanitisers, feck it up then get in an independent body and establish a commission to verify the result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement