Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

wakka12 wrote: »
    Surprised to hear Ireland has tested 91, thats actually decent. America has only tested 450

No, sorry, it's crap.....

A total of 6,536 people have been tested in the UK.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/britons-returning-coronavirus-italy-self-isolate-quarantine-regions

We have no cases because we are doing f'all testing. No test = no Virus.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fr336 wrote: »
    Or the moon

Source?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

gmisk wrote: »
    Id say it involved them looking at the NHS website.
    Then they would decide to run a 6 week open competition for the 4 new hand sanitisers, feck it up then get in an independent body and establish a commission to verify the result.

Class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Unearthly wrote: »
    2 more cases in Spain. Again they were in Italy. 7 confirmed in Spain last 24 hours. Source BNO

Italy spreading it all over the place now

And hopefully the powers that be are working to figure out how the virus got from Asia to northern Italy and as you say northern Italy is the jumping off point. Those school kids from the three schools and their teachers might need to get tested asap and also may be seeing the four walls of their house for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What about the Honduras case from a week ago, I notice it was dropped from the John Hopkins thingy, was that unconfirmed and negative then.

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2020/02/19/first-suspected-coronavirus-case-registered-in-honduras-health-authorities/

According to this link when translated it was a negative

https://inter.hn/noticias/honduras-bajo-vigilancia-por-coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Beasty wrote: »
    Source?

The big splash

Well that is where the moon likely came from :)
    https://www.universetoday.com/127139/127139/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And hopefully the powers that be are working to figure out how the virus got from Asia to northern Italy and as you say northern Italy is the jumping off point.

Could it be somehow linked to that mini outbreak in the French Alps a couple of weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Could it be somehow linked to that mini outbreak in the French Alps a couple of weeks ago?

I would say that is a distinct possibility.

Just to emphasise how bad Northern Italy is. The following countries have now had confirmed cases from people coming from Italy.

Brazil, Algeria, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, France, Germany, Croatia

IRFU, that's all you need to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Just to emphasise how bad Northern Italy is. The following countries have now had confirmed cases from people coming from Italy.

Brazil, Algeria, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, France, Germany, Croatia

IRFU, that's all you need to know

Whats the point are you trying to make?

Sure that is only eight countries none of which have the HSE to protect them.

Sure it will be all grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Main reason is that I believe that mortality of the virus is overstated at the moment. Containment strategies like cancelling the Italy game will reduce the spread of the virus which will reduce acute overwhelming of the HSE.

Secondly. We actually do have a great health service. The fact that we should have an even better health service for the money is a discussion for another day.

We have one the highest health care professional/ capita ratios in the world.

There are plans in place in hospitals (all around the country) to deal with virus if/when it arrives. Just because the general public doesn't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

The fact that we are coming into summer is also a bonus as viral illnesses decrease during the summer months as we are not so closely packed together.

You can say thay again! http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?Ireland-second-highest-OECD-health-spending-poorest-outcomes-506
    Ireland has the second-highest health spending ratio in OECD area which comprises of 34 mainly developed countries but it has some of the worst health outcomes among advanced countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

froog wrote: »
    Case confirmed in brazil. that's all continents now excluding antartica.

Not sure we can trust the numbers coming out of Antartica either

theguzman wrote: »
    All air traffic in and out of the island of Ireland should be stopped immediately.

This may turn out, in time, to be the wisest post on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

turbbo wrote: »
    No it doesn’t say anything about staying hydrated - staying hydrated wether you’re healthy or sick is a good idea. Will you re-read my last post before I have to copy and paste it again for you.

Calm down there dude!

Your link:
    ”1. Drink lots of water
    Increasing your fluid— particularly water— intake can help keep viruses at bay.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told CNN Philippines’ The Source that a dry throat makes it easier for virus to enter one’s system.“

Being well hydrated keeps mucosal membranes moist. Thats what the advice here is telling you.
    You don’t need to sip water every 15 minutes to do that. In fact, if you do need to do that, you are already dehydrated!

Anyway. Minor point. Let’s move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This may turn out, in time, to be the wisest post on the thread.

When this happens it will be to protect the rest of the world from us not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Candamir wrote: »
    Calm down there dude!

Your link:
    ”1. Drink lots of water
    Increasing your fluid— particularly water— intake can help keep viruses at bay.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told CNN Philippines’ The Source that a dry throat makes it easier for virus to enter one’s system.“

Being well hydrated keeps mucosal membranes moist. Thats what the advice here is telling you.
    You don’t need to sip water every 15 minutes to do that.

Anyway. Minor point. Let’s move on.

I’d imagine sipping water every 15 minutes would be an even better way of doing it. But hey each to their own I find the 2 bits remarkably similar - you don’t. Yeah I do think it’s time to move on - but not a lover of point scoring on somebody who posted something they thought sounded like good advice. Remember in Taiwan and Japan English is not their first language - my BS radar didn’t go off like yours did when i read that post.

I read it as such. In my eyes, it was a dig which I now realise was incorrect.says It happens a lot to pharmacists because of how much we earn. I apologise to Buile. Friends?.

Fo' shizzle Dizzle! :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

2 more cases in Spain. Again they were in Italy. 7 confirmed in Spain last 24 hours. Source BNO

Italy spreading it all over the place now

Those two were in the same hotel in Tenerife as the other two Italian guests that were confirmed in the morning. So we can expect a few more from the same tourist resort.

South Korea 169 new cases bringing total to 1146. Source BNO.

They do 2 updates a day. Yesterday at this time they announced 60 so not good as it's nearly tripled. Worth noting though that they are testing a lot more people than other countries

Anywhere from 200 to 1000 deaths per year in Ireland.

Not one case of Corona Virus in Ireland, yet people are acting like it's armageddon.

When a case appears it may already have been circulating for a couple of weeks spreading. Thats how you go from almost nothing to over a thousand like Korea.

That thinking folks, combined with its just a flu, is dangerous.
    Daily Mail spreading fear...that's a new one.

Anyway, far too few deaths for me to start building my underground bunker yet. I'll wait until the death toll hits double figures before I begin construction.

This thinking is why the Examiner is talking about media blackouts. Not so different to CCP 'control the narrative' stuff. Very totalitarian.

Ireland is generally highly educated. People arent stupid and can make their own decisions on whether something is 'spreading fear' or spreading fact.

The 'it`ll be grand' attitude may strike us down yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

People of the lowest IQ are the ones saying it will be all grand.

Not always. Some of them are just young and reckon it will kill other people.

Rather a callous attitude, but they may be correct.

What are the real numbers?
    Time with tell.

Leaving China aside, there is other useful data from places like Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Beasty wrote: »
    Source?

Tsk! What is it with people not being up to speed with modern medicinal knowledge and theory - seriously!
    According to Meade, the twice daily occurrence of a closer moon causes regular swelling of the blood vessels. Additionally, conditions like plague frequently erupted during the new and full moons (when the lunar gravitational pull causes the highest barometric pressure) and grow worse during the tides. Meade’s work sought to order the seemingly random outbreaks of epidemics based on atmospheric variables. ...

https://artsci.case.edu/dittrick/2015/07/20/by-the-light-of-the-fever-gout-and-plague-inducing-moon-lunar-medicine/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

joe_99 wrote: »
    Masks are useless as a protection against getting it.

Heard this on sky tv a week from one of their supposed informed journalists one of and typical sort who blamed the EU on all ill without any actual evidence. just picked up a ditty and made up a nonsense tune.

Heres some basic logic for you to think on!

if you and the like here are correct, that masks are useless!

then do explain why it seems all the actual professionals in China, like the actual Doctors and Nurses on the scene wear them and it was their body that effectively instructed the Government to insist people wear them.

Do you think they wear them, uncomfortable as they are, just for a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South Korean president was exposed to coronavirus in a meeting with an infected official BBC says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

scotchy wrote: »

This news is probably a week old within Hubei province and to China itself. They were deciding when to realise it. Probably surpassed those numbers well by now

Put it this way. It's more important for frontline staff to stay virus free than a random member of the public if we want to deal with this crisis. Also, the masks we would be using are FFP3 which are a ****ing nightmare to actually wear.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/one-million-masks-released-as-australia-reviews-coronavirus-response-20200129-p53vqx.html
    January 29, 2020
    Australia:
    1 million masks will be released from the national medical stockpile, as the government reviews its response to the coronavirus outbreak after reports it could be transmitted without symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

More lies from China, it will be 0 by next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

CBear1993 wrote: »
    This news is probably a week old within Hubei province and to China itself. They were deciding when to realise it. Probably surpassed those numbers well by now

They're the latest numbers released by the Chinese government about 3 minutes before I posted it

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 The_knack

The way i see it is you have two choices.
    A- You believe the Government/WHO, there is nothing to worry about its under control.
    B- The Government/WHO are not telling the truth.

So if you believe A, the best that can happen is they are correct, no need to worry.
    The Worst is they are wrong and you are unprepared for when the SHTF.

So if you believe B, the Best that can happen is that you get supplies in so you can bunker down if the SHTF.
    The worst is you where wrong, no need to panic, you look a bit silly prepping.

Well myself i have no problem with the worst outcome being me looking a little bit silly, so i will be getting in a months worth of food/supplies first thing tomorrow morning, i wish you all the best and hope i am wrong choosing B.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement