Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

More lies from China, it will be 0 by next week

To be taken with a pinch of salt.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My neighbours son is among 55 Irish Erasmus students in University of Milan. They were all flown home yesterday because the university has closed, and they were all allowed to walk off the planes with no testing or health checks.
    They are all from various different parts of Ireland, and are now home in their various cities, towns and villages across the country under the instruction to just self quarantine if they start to feel sick.
    There will be many other Erasmus students in different colleges/universities in the affected areas returning in the coming days in similar circumstances.
    This is how it will spread, its so worrying that these kids weren't even checked upon arrival into Ireland.
    Its downright negligence on the part of the Irish government.

Who was it that provided for the 55 Erasmus students at the University of Milan to be flown home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The_knack

Was told you will not find a single face mask for sale in any pharmacy in the state, the Government has requisitioned every one for the HSE.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Just maybe they dont want any cases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Just maybe they dont want any cases

Is that story about the 55 Erasmus students back in Ireland from university of Milan true?

If so that’s f*c*ing appalling. Googled it and can’t find any articles or anything on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Is that story about the 55 Erasmus students back in Ireland from university of Milan true?

If so that’s f*c*ing appalling. Googled it and can’t find any articles or anything on twitter

I think this is the only link I could find about school kids coming back from their holidays in Italy. https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/posts/10157259776217060

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The outbreak in Brazil is particularly devastating and this will absolutely balloon and Skyrocket in the coming days as they are in the middle of Carneval at the moment. There is enormous links between Italy and Brazil (Think Ireland and Irish-Americans), it is almost a rite of passage for young Italians with a bit of money to fly to Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paolo for Carneval in what is probably the planets biggest party of debauchery of kissing and casual sex. Italians are prolific global travellers, I have been to nearly 25 countries myself and you find Italians everywhere, they love to travel and live the good life. Brazil will be the new South Korea within days, they have a far superior healthcare system to Ireland so will probably fare better than us.

I don't think anyone here has any idea of how corrupt and inept our HSE is, the prevailing attitude is that this is just a flu or sure it will be grand. Once it gets into Ireland spreads then Ireland will be in for a severely rude awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

As Drumpot was live-blogging ealier, this video from Bruce Aylward who led the international team assembled by the WHO to look inside the China epidemic is really good viewing, even if it's 2hrs long (I've not even gotten to the end of the questions yet, and that whilst watching at +50% speed - fact: everyone on youtube sounds even smarter speeded up).

I'd not known what to make of the case numbers for China and so had been paying more attention to what's happening elsewhere in the world.
    But this gives a great insight into how China has handled the epidemic, what's happened with the numbers, lessons learned about the disease, the transmission, and how to treat and control it.

He says that rigorous, fast contact tracing and movement restriction have been rolled out in every province, and have actually worked to limit spread of disease, to his own surprise.

On the clinical side, he talks about information learned over the brief ~6 weeks of the epidemic being used to update guidelines on a continual basis.

The level of mobilisation of the state and of society described is highly impressive.
    Entire hospitals were redesignated as covid-19 hospitals to separate covid cases from regular cases, makeshift hospitals were opened in 24 hours in sports stadia, teams and equipment were brought in to Wuhan from across the country.
    Wuhan was totally locked down, while local quarantines and containment were used elsewhere to good effect, with food & services were brought to people's homes.
    Big data were used for contact tracing (not sure we can replicate what the Chinese state can do there, we might have to outsource to Google).

From 47 mins (and again at 1hr:08) he addresses the question of whether reported cases were the proverbial tip of the iceberg.
    ~320k people tested in Guangdong (he thinks) for active virus (RT-PCR for viral RNA), and very low levels were seen - initially ~0.5%, tailing off to 0.02%
    That means that there was much less under-detection than most experts were expecting.
    He says this means there are actually few asymptomatic carriers, and that most transmission is from people with clinical symptoms. Also children don't often get ill, and rarely infect other people.
    He says that sero-typing is being rolled out to see how many people have been exposed, but he doesn't expect that to reveal large additional numbers of people who were infected without detection.
    A journalist asks at 1hr:08 whether this means that the severe disease and fatality rates are higher than would be the case if a whole lot of people never even registered they had the disease, and that may be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Ryanair have on there Site

Update 25th Feb - COVID19
    26 Feb 2020 • 03:56
    We are currently experiencing a high volumes of contacts from customers and acknowledge the wait times are longer than usual, please bear with us and we will help you with your query.

If you are contacting us in relation to your travel plans in and out of Italy, there is currently no change to advice for airlines or customers from the Italian authorities and our flights are operating as normal.

We would like to reassure customers that our existing policies and procedures are in line with the guidance provided by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and EASA.

https://twitter.com/caixin/status/1232439144195878912
    In China’s Guangdong province, 14% of recovered Covid-19 patients tested positive for the virus in later checkups, raising the question whether recovered patients can still infect others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Hoboo

CBear1993 wrote: »

Be very unusual for Erasmus students to be returning midterm unless done as a precaution

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The_knack wrote: »
    The way i see it is you have two choices.
    A- You believe the Government/WHO, there is nothing to worry about its under control.

Whatever about the Government here, the WHO are absolutely not telling people there is nothing to worry about. Neither is the ECDC, EU equivalent of the US CDC.

I would imagine the HSE takes its lead from ECDC and on that, the NPHET statement of yesterday afternoon included the following:

"Ireland’s containment strategy to transition to the isolation of suspected COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in community settings, once tested
    An increase in the level of public awareness campaigns at ports and airports to commence immediately"

I noted a fairly distinct change in tone from the CMO Tony Holohan on the 9 News too. They are rolling out the strategy and it just went up a notch. Next will be provisions for limiting public gathering, including work and schooling. Also international travel and transportation of freight will have to be under consideration. Obviously thats an economic disaster no one wants to preempt, but its very real.

What I intend to do now is increase my own stock of non perishables and basic medications and I intend to organise similar for my elderly mother and also to see about any improvements to security of her home.

I say non perishables specifically rather than frozen foods, because a) our freezer is full already and b) power restrictions may be a concern down the line due to isolation of people working in power generation or importation blockages of maintenance parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Called into my pharmacy yesterday, they had a sign saying face masks were sold out, the hand sanitiser was gone, but something called a viral protection kit was for sale at €12 lol!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Called into my pharmacy yesterday, they had a sign saying face masks were sold out, the hand sanitiser was gone, but something called a viral protection kit was for sale at €12 lol!

I will probably try to get some hand sanitiser though, handy if you're not near soap and water.

darjeeling wrote: »

As Drumpot was live-blogging ealier, this video from Bruce Aylward who led the international team assembled by the WHO to look inside the China epidemic is really good viewing, even if it's 2hrs long (I've not even gotten to the end of the questions yet, and that whilst watching at +50% speed - fact: everyone on youtube sounds even smarter speeded up).

I'd not known what to make of the case numbers for China and so had been paying more attention to what's happening elsewhere in the world.
    But this gives a great insight into how China has handled the epidemic, what's happened with the numbers, lessons learned about the disease, the transmission, and how to treat and control it.

He says that rigorous, fast contact tracing and movement restriction have been rolled out in every province, and have actually worked to limit spread of disease, to his own surprise.

On the clinical side, he talks about information learned over the brief ~6 weeks of the epidemic being used to update guidelines on a continual basis.

The level of mobilisation of the state and of society described is highly impressive.
    Entire hospitals were redesignated as covid-19 hospitals to separate covid cases from regular cases, makeshift hospitals were opened in 24 hours in sports stadia, teams and equipment were brought in to Wuhan from across the country.
    Wuhan was totally locked down, while local quarantines and containment were used elsewhere to good effect, with food & services were brought to people's homes.
    Big data were used for contact tracing (not sure we can replicate what the Chinese state can do there, we might have to outsource to Google).

From 47 mins (and again at 1hr:08) he addresses the question of whether reported cases were the proverbial tip of the iceberg.
    ~320k people tested in Guangdong (he thinks) for active virus (RT-PCR for viral RNA), and very low levels were seen - initially ~0.5%, tailing off to 0.02%
    That means that there was much less under-detection than most experts were expecting.
    He says this means there are actually few asymptomatic carriers, and that most transmission is from people with clinical symptoms. Also children don't often get ill, and rarely infect other people.
    He says that sero-typing is being rolled out to see how many people have been exposed, but he doesn't expect that to reveal large additional numbers of people who were infected without detection.
    A journalist asks at 1hr:08 whether this means that the severe disease and fatality rates are higher than would be the case if a whole lot of people never even registered they had the disease, and that may be so.

Thanks for the post. Here is a link to the 1hr 08mins 49 seconds bit:
    https://youtu.be/-o0q1XMRKYM?t=4128

Highly, highly recommend a watch of that little bit.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whatever about the Government here, the WHO are absolutely not telling people there is nothing to worry about. Neither is the ECDC, EU equivalent of the US CDC.

I would imagine the HSE takes its lead from ECDC and on that, the NPHET statement of yesterday afternoon included the following:

"Ireland’s containment strategy to transition to the isolation of suspected COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in community settings, once tested
    An increase in the level of public awareness campaigns at ports and airports to commence immediately"

I noted a fairly distinct change in tone from the CMO Tony Holohan on the 9 News too. They are rolling out the strategy and it just went up a notch. Next will be provisions for limiting public gathering, including work and schooling. Also international travel and transportation of freight will have to be under consideration. Obviously thats an economic disaster no one wants to preempt, but its very real.

What I intend to do now is increase my own stock of non perishables and basic medications and I intend to organise similar for my elderly mother and also to see about any improvements to security of her home.

I say non perishables specifically rather than frozen foods, because a) our freezer is full already and b) power restrictions may be a concern down the line due to isolation of people working in power generation or importation blockages of maintenance parts.

I haven't prepared in that sense much; have plenty of canned food because I live on it anyway.

I live in the city centre, can't envisage food running out, so not too bothered.

I'm an office worker, so prepared to work at home if required.

My concern lies with my elderly parents, going to ring them and see if they need any extra provisions.

This advice regarding face masks seems sensible, from the HSE:

Facemasks

Don't:

do not use a face mask if you feel well and do not have symptoms - there’s no evidence that using masks is of any benefit if you are not sick.

Do:

wash your hands properly and regularly
    cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze.

You should use a facemask if you:

have or may have coronavirus
    are in close contact with someone who has or may have coronavirus
    are a healthcare worker in close contact with people who may have or have coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That fool on Newstalk is saying people are over reacting because a lot more people die from the common seasonal flu. Never mention about the morality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

theguzman wrote: »
    The outbreak in Brazil is particularly devastating and this will absolutely balloon and Skyrocket in the coming days as they are in the middle of Carneval at the moment. There is enormous links between Italy and Brazil (Think Ireland and Irish-Americans), it is almost a rite of passage for young Italians with a bit of money to fly to Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paolo for Carneval in what is probably the planets biggest party of debauchery of kissing and casual sex.

A lot of Israelis head to Brazil after their time with the IDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Will we get an update this morning confirming cases in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The hotel in Tenerife has 1000 people quarantined,but the news reporter said on the 6 o clock news that she had been speaking to people in there and they had been down by the pool. There is noone to enforce the quarantine,so residents can just wander around.

The obviously havent taken notes from the Diamond Princess,it's gonna spread like wildfire there too..

Will we get an update this morning confirming cases in Ireland?

Don't know, but let's not wait for that.
    It really makes no difference following the numbers.

We all need to start following the sensible advice now. And we all know what that is, right everyone?

God, I sound like a nanny.

But with all the bickering in this thread, it's worth mentioning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

YFlyer wrote: »
    That fool on Newstalk is saying people are over reacting because a lot more people die from the common seasonal flu. Never mention about the morality rate.

Newstalk bat for the business community who will try desperatly to downplay what's happening. Tourist sector in particular are going to find this very bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

You have to wonder if anyone in the Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport or Department of Health are going to MAN UP and make some decisions to update the Public on contingency plans for the State.

If there was a hint of a bad storm there would be warnings from all angles. Pandemics not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was told earlier today that Naas hospital has been working on isolation rooms for any potential outbreaks .

So behind the scenes I imagine there is plans in places without spooking the entire population

The statement by HSE back on Jan 21st informed that every area has established isolation rooms. You are so right; thank you.. also assured re ambulance arrangements

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Newstalk bat for the business community who will try desperatly to downplay what's happening. Tourist sector in particular are going to find this very bad,

Funny, the WHO person was praising China for their lock down measures, saying he saw no reason why other countries could not do the same.

Perhaps we are not as democratic as it seems.

wellwhynot wrote: »
    If there was a hint of a bad storm there would be warnings from all angles. Pandemics not so much.

There was a piece in the IT yesterday about the legal preparedness we have, regarding restricting rights of movement and such.

It seems we have the laws in place, but a hodge podge of various things.

I wonder if they could be consolidated for scenarios such as this; UK had to bring in special powers. I'm no legal expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Graces7 wrote: »
    The statement by HSE back on Jan 21st informed that every area has established isolation rooms. You are so right; thank you

We are at capacity in terms of housing, hospital beds, transport. I very much doubt we have sufficient resources in place to deal with the potential scenario that could unfold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Foot and Mouth was managable. They stopped rural animals being transported and us human folk had to walk over disinfectant mats.

Unless they are going to stop all flights in and out of Ireland then this is folly

Also it was "managed" by slaughtering and burning the whole herd if one animal got it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement