Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The hotel in Tenerife has 1000 people quarantined,but the news reporter said on the 6 o clock news that she had been speaking to people in there and they had been down by the pool. There is noone to enforce the quarantine,so residents can just wander around.

The obviously havent taken notes from the Diamond Princess,it's gonna spread like wildfire there too..

I heard an interview/audio clip of a French couple at the hotel now. The "quarantine" doesn't sound like much more than the fact a note was slipped under each room door asking them to stay in their rooms for medical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You should use a facemask if you:

have or may have coronavirus
    are in close contact with someone who has or may have coronavirus
    are a healthcare worker in close contact with people who may have or have coronavirus

That's the equivalent of saying only wear your safety belt if your going to have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yes they are. And this person has nothing but contempt for the HSE apparatchiks including the man at the helm. And as usual you get the FG/FF cheerleaders spouting that there's nothing to worry about.

I'm a frontline worker (medic) and I can assure you in my hospital, where I currently work part time and part time overseas, and in any colleagues hospitals that I have spoken to, there is policy on the intranet, there have been tutorials on putting on PPE, and there is a very clear flow chart as to the response to take if there is a suspected case.

I can directly confirm this for my hospital and for 2 other Model 3/4 hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

That's the equivalent of saying only wear your safety belt if your going to have an accident.

It is absolutely ridiculous isn’t it?

Wear it if you have the virus...but we aren’t going to test you and you won’t know so tough cookies.

There just trying to get all the masks for themselves, doesn't look like there's one to be got in the country, everywhere sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Funny, the WHO person was praising China for their lock down measures, saying he saw no reason why other countries could not do the same.

Perhaps we are not as democratic as it seems.

Pure greed that's why. Look at the sh1tstorm Harris is facing as an example over the rugbyball match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There just trying to get all the masks for themselves, doesn't look like there's one to be got in the country, everywhere sold out.

You don’t need a mask unless you’re getting up close and personal with someone who has it, like a family member etc. Or if you work in healthcare. The virus isn’t airborne so I’m not sure why so many people want masks. The hse advice on masks is straight forward. Washing your hands etc is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Is Hand Sanitizer still readily available in Chemists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Pure greed that's why. Look at the sh1tstorm Harris is facing as an example over the rugbyball match.

I think part of the problem is that he never personally told the IRFU before making the announcement, they heard it on the news which is pretty unprofessional. The match needs to be cancelled though, or played with no fans allowed to travel.

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t need a mask unless you’re getting up close and personal with someone who has it, like a family member etc. Or if you work in healthcare. The virus isn’t airborne so I’m not sure why so many people want masks. The hse advice on masks is straight forward. Washing your hands etc is more important.

Exactly.

Serious mask FOMO kicking in big-time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

YFlyer wrote: »
    That fool on Newstalk is saying people are over reacting because a lot more people die from the common seasonal flu. Never mention about the morality rate.

I don't get this. We can't determine the mortality rate if we are including still infected cases.

You need to do divide dead by dead+cured (ie total numbers that have finished with the virus

From the below website today's numbers are 2700 dead & 30000 cured....which makes the mortality rate about 8% (2700/2700+30000)

https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#/rumor

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Is Hand Sanitizer still readily available in Chemists ?

They where out of it yesterday in my city centre pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

kevcos wrote: »
    FFS.
    That sounds like a school playground. :rolleyes:
    Never realised a flu caused the suffering to scream aloud.

People still linking that video with no context.

It was a protest against quarantine where residents shouted out their windows for a few minutes.

Stop posting it now thanks. It's been linked several times already as some sort of "proof" that China is hiding how bad it really is.
    The WHO says different. They have praised china for shutting down all travel and doing mass lockdowns though despite whatever effects it has had on the economy. The guy who was just in Wuhan was again emphasising the value of the lockdowns.

Doesn't make sense, whats the difference between China and the rest of the world?

The difference is Wuhan was the epicentre of the outbreak and they had no idea how bad it was and are still trying to figure it out.

You are suggesting shutting down our tiny island that has 0 cases so far, and as we're getting more info, the virus doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as it did initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

daheff wrote: »
    I don't get this. We can't determine the mortality rate if we are including still infected cases.

You need to do divide dead by dead+cured (ie total numbers that have finished with the virus

From the below website today's numbers are 2700 dead & 30000 cured....which makes the mortality rate about 8% (2700/2700+30000)

https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#/rumor

You're not including the people who current have it
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What about people who spend 30-60 minutes in very close quarters with commuters during both rush hour periods? I'm thinking the likes of the Luas and Dart where peak times can leave you squeezed shoulder to shoulder with others. Some of the cases you read about were transmitted via business events, small gatherings etc. with far more personal space than packed train/tram carriages.

You don't have to be living with someone or treating patients 24/7 to catch this and that's what some people are worried about.

For those with family members with underlying conditions that they would be afraid of passing on to, it's absolutely a consideration.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

daheff wrote: »

My concern is regarding the effects on the overall health system.

They won't discuss that though.
    It's like living in Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A simple press and broadcast statement from the HSE Spokesperson stating the bolded would work a little wonder in reassuring the general public, don't you think.

This was done around Jan 21st , reported in detail on one of the online news pages; either rte or breaking news. re isolation units ready in every area, re calling HSE. I do not use radio or TV so this is my news source. It was indeed reassuring and all that could be done at that stage and even now.also Irish examiner on Jan 24th,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

BloodBath wrote: »
    People still linking that video with no context.

It was a protest against quarantine where residents shouted out their windows for a few minutes.

Stop posting it now thanks. It's been linked several times already as some sort of "proof" that China is hiding how bad it really is.

The difference is Wuhan was the epicentre of the outbreak and they had no idea how bad it was and are still trying to figure it out.

You are suggesting shutting down our tiny island that has 0 cases so far, and as we're getting more info, the virus doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as it did initially.

What more info?

How about retail workers there in direct contact with people constantly. How are they meant to know who has and hasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The irfu want a specific reason to cancel the game?are they having a laugh or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BanditLuke wrote: »
    What more info?

That the death rate is nowhere near as high as it seemed initially in Wuhan. That the rate of infection was doubling every week but has slowed right down in the last week to around 10% despite it reaching other countries. This was caused by the virus running rampant for weeks before being identified in Wuhan then their health services being overwhelmed by it.

Again these numbers could change for the worse or better. Shutting down the country before the virus even get's here would do more harm than the virus though. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The irfu want a specific reason to cancel the game?are they having a laugh or what.

Insurance most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Assuming Chinas figures are correct (might be a stretch) - they are showing some positive trends - reduction in serious cases by c.500 since yesterday but by c.2.5k since Monday along with declining deaths - 50 yesterday. In addition reduction in new cases

SK have now tested up to 20k people from which they have identified 1.2k people - also seems to be a little drop off in identifying infected people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm a frontline worker (medic) and I can assure you in my hospital, where I currently work part time and part time overseas, and in any colleagues hospitals that I have spoken to, there is policy on the intranet, there have been tutorials on putting on PPE, and there is a very clear flow chart as to the response to take if there is a suspected case.

I can directly confirm this for my hospital and for 2 other Model 3/4 hospitals.

Thank you. With all the crap in the media lately due to the election about how terrible the health service is, you are gonna have a hard time convincing people of anything good about it. It has been blown out of all proportion for political motives.
    That is a pity as all health services have issues..it is their nature. Any interaction I have had with the health service here (quite a few for elderly family members) has always been fantastic...well as fantastic as any trip to an A+E can be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Very little mention of the condition of survivors...many sars survivors left with chronic damage to their lungs. This is a simiar virus.

That should be concerning people....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It could well be for insurance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This advice regarding face masks seems sensible, from the HSE:
    Facemasks
    Don't:
    do not use a face mask if you feel well and do not have symptoms - there’s no evidence that using masks is of any benefit if you are not sick.

You should use a facemask if you:
    have or may have coronavirus
    are in close contact with someone who has or may have coronavirus
    are a healthcare worker in close contact with people who may have or have coronavirus

On this. Both John Hopkins and the CDC confirm that the Corona virus can be spread from person to person through 'droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking'

For those using public transport or similar which puts them into 'close contact' for any extended periods with those 'coughing, sneezing or talking' - properly fitted N95 face masks at least provide a basic level of protection - especially where there is no way of knowing who may be carrying the virus

It therefore makes fek all sense to state to "do not use a face mask if you feel well and do not have symptoms"

The current advice presumes that those who do not feel well or have symptoms will automatically use a face mask. In all likelihood most people will he unaware or indeed may not even bother wearing a facemask to protect others. And unfortunately that's more likley than otherwise.

Properly fitted N95 facemasks do provide some protection against droplets in the air. They also stop people from touching their face.

Learning how to fit facemasks properly is not rocket science. Plenty of good instructional PPE videos on the intranet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ludo wrote: »
    Thank you. With all the crap in the media lately due to the election about how terrible the health service is, you are gonna have a hard time convincing people of anything good about it. It has been blown out of all proportion for political motives.
    That is a pity as all health services have issues..it is their nature. Any interaction I have had with the health service here (quite a few for elderly family members) has always been fantastic...well as fantastic as any trip to an A+E can be really.

I think people have confidence in the quality of the health service in dealing with 10-100 cases.

The questions are about how lax they seem to be about school trips to Italy etc and testing of same. They are assuming asymptiomatic means not infectious. Other health services eg the NHS are being more cautious on this and kids were sent home from school even if they don't have symptoms.

And then the next question is what if we have 1000 cases, 10000 cases needing hospitalisation because those school kids turn out to have infected X number of people...

This is a quantity thing as well as a quality thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Are flights going to be cancelled? If not, why not?

Are all public gatherings going to be cancelled? If not, why not?

They want clarity. They are probably annoyed at having to give in to clear panic and arse-covering. I would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think people have confidence in the quality of the health service in dealing with 10-100 cases.

The questions are about how lax they seem to be about school trips to Italy etc and testing of same. They are assuming asymptiomatic means not infectious. Other health services eg the NHS are being more cautious on this and kids were sent home from school even if they don't have symptoms.

Thats fair and needs looking at alright. Just some of the hyperbole on this thread is infuriating as it is simply populist nonsense with a dash of mass hysteria. Needs to be toned down a notch and discussed sanely.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    And then the next question is what if we have 1000 cases, 10000 cases needing hospitalisation because those school kids turn out to have infected X number of people...

This is a quantity thing as well as a quality thing.

All health services will have this issue. It is not a problem unique to Ireland. The UK advice is not that dissimilar to the Irish advice. Some schools there have just chosen to react differently and sent kids home as the advice is vague.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement