Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ha ha don't let the thread listen to Pat Kenny he just said the known death rate is 2%, boards thread explodes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Just a thought; they’re playing Italy.

Gee thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

You're missing the point entirely. If a cluster of Italians in Ireland is the problem, this action (in isolation) just serves to move the problem from a stadium in Ballsbridge to somewhere else in the capital as they'll be crammed in to pubs restaurants, hotels, clubs etc. It alone, makes little sense. Some sort of hope that people with flights and hotels booked will just decide not to travel is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

How about retail workers there in direct contact with people constantly. How are they meant to know who has and hasn't it.

Same as the rest of us, you can't know.

Wash your hands regularly, and don't touch your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Interesting Site here, where they graph cases in China, and outside China.
    By 'winter' countries and 'summer/equatorial' countries..

https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/updated-coronavirus-statistics-cases-deaths-mortality-rate/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The new NCP coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days then how can one know if he/ she is infected ?
    Latest information is that the incubation period may be upto 28 days before the symptoms of COVID 19 are evident.

By the time a person has fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs are usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late !

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning ;

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds.
    If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness , etc , it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY.
    Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least.
    WHY ?
    Even if the virus does enter into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach.
    Once there , your stomach ACID’s will kill all the virus.
    If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS.
    That's very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I expect the HSE not to tell people returning from an affected area to just carry on til you get sick.

Self quarantine has been talked about since it started in China so its nothing new

No youre being pedantic over member states. EU, EEA or just part of Europe as a geographical area

Some joint thinking on handling the issue isnt a mammoth task

Coz you know better than the HSE and the NHS?
    I'm sorry but I find no advice anywhere from NHS to self isolate if back from any part of northern Italy unless you are sick. Latest from Guardian even:
    The medical director of Public Health England, Paul Cosford, has confirmed that the health agency is not advising that English schools shut over fears of a coronavirus outbreak. He told the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 on Wednesday morning:

Schools have to take difficult decisions given the complexity of issues that they are facing.

What I would say is that our general advice is not to close schools.

What we are clear about is if you have been in the area of northern Italy of concern and you have symptoms - it is a cough, shortness of breath or fever - then you do need to self-isolate, you need to phone NHS 111 and await advice for further assessment or testing.

Of course if you’ve been to one of the specific towns that are identified by the Italian government and essentially closed down, then our advice and requirement is to self-isolate anyway.

Public Health England was available to talk to schools about their “specific circumstances” and “help them make the right decisions for them”, he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

It’s posts like that which prove people are really dumb and believe everything they read on Facebook (the one above yours ludo, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Interesting Site here, where they graph cases in China, and outside China.
    By 'winter' countries and 'summer/equatorial' countries..

https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/updated-coronavirus-statistics-cases-deaths-mortality-rate/

Is there anything to be said for moving the country south?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would governments pay for that? Or if it got to a worst case scenario, and people were literally dying in millions, would pharmaceutical companies charge individual people for the vaccine?

I.e a whoever can afford to live scenario.
    I know they’re rotten but could they do that or does the WHO have any power over them
    I would think it would have to be government driven + funded, much like childhood vaccinations.

Vaccination works in two ways
    1. reducing an individuals susceptability,
    2. herd immunity.
    Both contribute to control, reduce and finally eliminate a virus. Without a high vaccination rate the virus will remain actively spreading in a population. e.g. WHO has a target measles vaccination rate of 95% to eliminate measles. I'd expect CoViD-19 to need a similar vaccination rate to eliminate it. I couldn't see it meeting required vaccination rate to bring it under effective control unless it was government driven and funded and possibly mandatory (with exceptions on medical grounds).

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

wadacrack wrote: »
    Even if the virus does enter into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach.
    If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS.
    That's very dangerous.

LOLOLOLOLOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Runaways wrote: »
    It’s posts like that which prove people are really dumb and believe everything they read on Facebook (the one above yours ludo, sorry)

Thanks for clearing that up. I nearly fainted holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They'll be an on-thread orgasm when the first Irish case is confirmed from the panic-merchants fervidly pressing f5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Things are imporoving in China at least.

Have spare hospital beds in Wuhan according to Bruce Aylward & number of cases is reducing.

The quicker countries go into lockdown the better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Some good news, i think.

Yesterday at this time:

Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:

Today:
    Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:

619 new cases
    80 new deaths
    2563 Recovered

Recovery rate seems to be improving.

Of the 49799 open cases, 9215 are noted as serious,40584 noted as mild.

So todays figures:

Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:

Based on the above, looking at over the last 2 days (worldwide):

1449 Cases
    139 Deaths
    4999 Recovered.

So the fatality rate over all is hovering around 8% at the moment, should drop further based on the above indicators (i.e more people getting infected and recovering).

China (if you believe them, since they reclassified how they caoallate this information) have also seen there severe cases drop below 9k.

Active cases also dropping overall based on the above figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭josip

wadacrack wrote: »
    The new NCP coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days then how can one know if he/ she is infected ?
    Latest information is that the incubation period may be upto 28 days before the symptoms of COVID 19 are evident.

By the time a person has fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs are usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late !

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning ;

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds.
    If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness , etc , it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY.
    Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least.
    WHY ?
    That's very dangerous.

qK0rEXG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MD1990 wrote: »
    Things are imporoving in China at least.

Have spare hospital beds in Wuhan according to Bruce Aylward & number of cases is reducing.

Can we trust those reports though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can we trust those reports though?

No need for hospital beds when people are getting welded into their apartments I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anything on the that German man in his late 40’s , did he have a prior condition? Is he seriously ill?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

It’s criminal that Varadkar and Harris have not banned flights from infected regions, they will be responsible for the deaths of dozens of Irish people

Morning

I decided to give up Covid19 for lent. Gonna gorge on the stuff on Easter Sunday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

splinter65 wrote: »
    Doctor from the WHO has just been on BBC Breakfast and said that the only people that should be using face masks are those who have a transmittable infection to stop them from transmitting it.
    She also said that once your mask gets wet from your breath it is useless so you need to change your mask multiple times during the day.
    Seemed like a very sensible woman to be honest.

The problem with that - is that people in many cases will not do that.

Current advice from CDC and John Hopkins etc is to use facemasks when in close contact with someone who is infected.

Problem is in areas such as public transport where many people are in close contact - there is no way of knowing who may or may not be infected.

Importantly it also depends on the type of facemask used. Surgical type masks practically useless - N95 some protection. The surgical type masks are also prone to getting wet from breathing (and needing changes regularly) compared to N95 respirator type masks.

I'm sure the person is a very 'sensible woman'- however imo the logic of what is being advised by some is questionable at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The cynic in me feels that the health of cattle is more important than human health for the powers that be and the IRFU… when you contrast what is happening now with what happened during the foot and mouth epidemic of 2001.

And all this was put in place over 3 weeks BEFORE the first case was identified here !

“The impact on social and cultural events of the announcement on the 19 February of the British outbreak was almost immediate. The IRFU cancelled the Wales-Ireland rugby match, the Irish Kennel Club cancelled working farmdog classes in the St Patrick's Day dog show, while Dublin Zoo was closed. On the 28 February, a request was made that various sporting, cultural and other activities be postponed. Added to this, people were discouraged from visiting Ireland because of negative publicity and because of direct pleas from both the British and Irish governments to restrict movement between the two countries.”

https://www.tcd.ie/Economics/TEP/2002_papers/TEPNo8RT22.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

What about the guy in Galway who was contacted by his GP asking him to self isolate..? Think they were saying the person who could have passed it on in a shop had just come back from Tenerife and had the same GP....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No need for hospital beds when people are getting welded into their apartments I guess.

I'd take it as a positive sign if the spread can be halted/slowed by lockdown measures, even pretty extreme ones.

I rarely leave the house anyway so if I can get away with fortnightly visits to Tesco wearing a mask and gloves I should make it through.:p

I’m taking some comfort from this article about my upcoming trip to Namibia. They are taking it extremely seriously in that sparsely populated country:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-china-namibia-business-12439698

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I just learned from this thread that if I press F5, I will catch the coronavirus.

silverharp wrote: »
    Anything on the that German man in his late 40’s , did he have a prior condition? Is he seriously ill?

What I’ve found so far
    German man in critical condition
    The health ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia state in Germany said a man was first hospitalized Monday with serious pneumonia in the town of Erkelenz near the Dutch border.

The man, reported to be in his 40’s, was moved to Duesseldorf's University Hospital after being diagnosed with the virus, while his wife was isolated after showing symptoms.

Stephan Pusch, who heads the district administration in Heinsberg, where Erkelenz is located, said on Wednesday that schools and kindergartens in the area would be shut for the day.

Meanwhile, Dutch health officials said they were tracing the movements of the German man after learning that he visited the southern province of Limburg last week. The Netherlands doesn’t yet have any confirmed cases of the virus.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/26/covid-19-man-in-critical-condition-in-germany-as-virus-spreads-in-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

<snip> sorry ...
    when I read totally, it;s not so bad ... scaremongering here sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

So todays figures:

Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:

Based on the above, looking at over the last 2 days (worldwide):

1449 Cases
    139 Deaths
    4999 Recovered.

So the fatality rate over all is hovering around 8% at the moment, should drop further based on the above indicators (i.e more people getting infected and recovering).

China (if you believe them, since they reclassified how they caoallate this information) have also seen there severe cases drop below 9k.

Active cases also dropping overall based on the above figures.

Fatality rate has been dropping by exactly 1% a day since the new Hubei governor took over. Like clockwork on a daily trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It’s criminal that Varadkar and Harris have not banned flights from infected regions, they will be responsible for the deaths of dozens of Irish people

No where has banned flights,
    the government are not responsible if this reaches here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement