Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

This virus will do Greta Thunberg’s work for her by pruning human activity for some time. The planet will be saved :):(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

This virus will do Greta Thunberg’s work for her by pruning human activity for some time. The planet will be saved :):(

It's one small silver lining - even though I have no time for that terror supporting thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Is Hand Sanitizer still readily available in Chemists ?

Lidl have it. I'm in the midwest, so I can't speak for Dublin stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The age is worrying, late 40’s all things being equal ought not be a high risk group for getting pneumonia. Plus its my inlaws neck of the woods

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

MD1990 wrote: »
    Things are imporoving in China at least.

Have spare hospital beds in Wuhan according to Bruce Aylward & number of cases is reducing.

The quicker countries go into lockdown the better

China was able to make the decision to go into lockdown in the blink of an eye. European countries are completely in bed with big businesses so there is no chance of the same measures being taken here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Ludo wrote: »
    Coz you know better than the HSE and the NHS?
    I'm sorry but I find no advice anywhere from NHS to self isolate if back from any part of northern Italy unless you are sick. Latest from Guardian even:

Did I say i knew better?

Jesus christ some people look for arguments where none exist on here.

I stated what i saw on Sky News and gave a personal opinion no need to get all defensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TomSweeney wrote: »
    <snip> sorry ...
    when I read totally, it;s not so bad ... scaremongering here sorry

I am going to be optimistic and say that's because there are so many cases unreported for numerous different reasons and when this sort of outbreak starts its the more serious cases and deaths that actually flag it to authorities. So in essence, when you see 1 death, there could be up to maybe 80-85 more people who have little to no symptoms just going along their lives without an idea that they have it therefore are not flagging it to medical practises, thus not being recorded.

Our friend (below) who gave the press conference yesterday explained that in the first weeks or so the rates of mortality are higher. People not going to hospitals earlier (when they have symptoms but dont realise its Covid) and hospitals just not being ready because they have not dealt with the virus before and of course a mass influx of patients that can be hard to manage.

Supposedly as things progress this mortality rate should level off (hopefully) as the population get better at identifying the virus in themselves, react quicker and hospitals and frontline staff get used to working with it.

I will put a cavaet that this is all Layman interpretation of what I heard yesterday. I have no experience in the medical profession so I am only repeating what I believe was being said..

Again, I really do stress to anybody interested to watch:

silverharp wrote: »
    The age is worrying, late 40’s all things being equal ought not be a high risk group for getting pneumonia. Plus its my inlaws neck of the woods

I’ll keep an eye out for anymore info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Seems to be a 13.7% fatality rate in Iran.

Are the true numbers coming to light.

https://twitter.com/Investingcom/status/1232601454206164992?s=19

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The elderly in Ireland get the pneumonia vaccine, will that help with not developing it from Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

It’s criminal that Varadkar and Harris have not banned flights from infected regions, they will be responsible for the deaths of dozens of Irish people

Life goes on people have to travel business pleasure warnings are clear washing hands no touching avoid crowds the window seat is the best option for decreased exposure

Damn the finger pointing party is never happy...

pc7 wrote: »
    The elderly in Ireland get the pneumonia vaccine, will that help with not developing it from Covid?

Is that part of the flu jab? that’s what my parents and myself get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bennyl10 wrote: »
    No where has banned flights,
    the government are not responsible if this reaches here

That’s not true, the government have the ability to ban flights from affected countries, and other countries have done this. If FG don’t ban flights soon they will be responsible for any deaths that occur, it’s as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

China was able to make the decision to go into lockdown in the blink of an eye. European countries are completely in bed with big businesses so there is no chance of the same measures being taken here.
    Absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact China is basically run by a dictator...

Do you honestly think people wouldn't kick up a fuss in Europe if they were pretty much forced to stay in their homes?

Nature tends to have a way of fighting back

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is that part of the flu jab? that’s what my parents and myself get.

No, its an extra vaccine, my grand parents get along with the flu one.

gmisk wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact China is basically run by a dictator...

Do you honestly think people wouldn't kick up a fuss in Europe if they were pretty much forced to stay in their homes?

Only a brain dead moron would kick up a fuss about having to stay in their home for a few weeks, given that their are lives at risk here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Philip Scofield just said normal flu was worse
    Arghhhhhh

The ones going on about FG sound more cray cray than the end of the worlders.

• Advertisement

Only a brain dead moron would kick up a fuss about having to stay in their home for a few weeks, given that their are lives at risk here
    There are plenty of them in Ireland.....

Did you miss the chaos when there was some snow recently?
    We basically had riots over bread after a few days not to mention taking a bloody digger to an aldi!

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Arghhhhhh
    If your looking to that idiot for advice you maybe need to think about wising up lol

Nature tends to have a way of fighting back
    Alright Ian Malcolm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Had a relative onto me, they had a member of public in their workplace coughing and spluttering, his daughter only a few days back from northern italy,. She rang her GP, GP has not a notion what to do, told her to ring HSE, HSE number ringing through to Menu that just hangs up.

Well prepared mar dhea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t need a mask unless you’re getting up close and personal with someone who has it, like a family member etc. Or if you work in healthcare. The virus isn’t airborne so I’m not sure why so many people want masks. The hse advice on masks is straight forward. Washing your hands etc is more important.

Can you provide a link showing the virus isn't airbone, because the CDC guidlines seem to say to treat it as airborne, not to mention reports from China confirming it is airborne.
    2. Adherence to Standard, Contact, and Airborne Precautions, Including the Use of Eye Protection

Standard Precautions assume that every person is potentially infected or colonized with a pathogen that could be transmitted in the healthcare setting. Elements of Standard Precautions that apply to patients with respiratory infections, including those caused by COVID-19, are summarized below. Attention should be paid to training on correct use, proper donning (putting on) and doffing (taking off), and disposal of any PPE. This document does not emphasize all aspects of Standard Precautions (e.g., injection safety) that are required for all patient care; the full description is provided in the Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings. All HCP (see section 3 for measures for non-HCP visitors) who enter the room of a patient with known or suspected COVID-19 (i.e., PUI) should adhere to Standard, Contact, and Airborne Precautions, including the following:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/hcp/infection-control.html
    Most frequently, the spread of the coronavirus is taking place across airborne transmission or direct contact. Chinese outlet Beijing News reported that quoting a representative of the Chinese Healthcare Ministry.

"Emission of the virus from the feces of the sick does not change the main route of the spread of infection. Just like before, it spreads across the airways or direct contact", the authority's representative said.

He also commented on the article released by the Guangzhou Medical Center; it said that the feces of the sick could contain coronavirus, which leads to a threat of possible contamination of venting systems and sewers of living houses and hospitals, making them dangerous for healthy people.
    https://112.international/society/covid-2019-airborne-transmission-is-most-frequent-way-of-infection-48521.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Arghhhhhh

A lot of misinformation doing the rounds like that. Newstalk did their "the flu kills more" piece this morning. I'd call it ignorance but i think a lot of it is agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

We estimated that 18,300 (95% confidence interval: 3770 to 53,470) COVID-19 cases would have had to occur in Iran, assuming an outbreak duration of 1.5 months in the country, in order to observe these three internationally exported cases reported at the time of writing.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.24.20027375v1

Bambi wrote: »
    Had a relative onto me, they had a member of public in their workplace coughing and spluttering, his daughter only a few days back from northern italy,. She rang her GP, GP has not a notion what to do, told her to ring HSE, HSE number ringing through to Menu that just hangs up.

Well prepared mar dhea

It’s stuff like that that annoys me. Not answer the phone last Sunday was well publicised so you’d think they’d get their **** together first thing Monday morning.

The HSE can divert phone calls to me and email me the questionnaire. I have a lovely phone voice.

gmisk wrote: »
    There are plenty of them in Ireland.....

Did you miss the chaos when there was some snow recently?
    We basically had riots over bread after a few days not to mention taking a bloody digger to an aldi!

Stop with the hyperbole, there were no riots over bread, and one incident at an Aldi is not chaos in a country of 5 million people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,325 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pc7 wrote: »

No regrettably... I read it protects against different kind of pnuemonia.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement