Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gozunda wrote: »
    I got pneumonia and hospitalised in my early twenties And not in any high risk group.
    I am same for got atypical viral pneumonia when I was 19 perfectly healthy, totally floored me lost 3 stone by end of it, I was operating on about half a lung at one stage it's no joke! People comparing flu to pneumonia are clueless

I bet Japan has hand-washers installed that do the job for you. Put your hand in and water and soap pours on them followed by a rinse of water, a blow of the dryer, and a squirt of sanitiser, all to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle.

except all those hand dryers are creating aerosols........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Now saying video disabled:confused:

What was the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BanditLuke wrote: »
    For those of you who didn't catch his press conference , Dr. Bruce Aylward (renowned expert who led the team of experts on the ground in China), had a few alarming comments about the seriousness of the disease. ( source: https://youtu.be/-o0q1XMRKYM?t=3058 )

"The bottom line is this virus kills people... it kills our elderly and vulnerable... but this is not always the case - young people do die of this disease even in industrialized countries. People are looking at this saying that but in China they don't have this, they don't have that, etc. If I had COVID-19, I'd want to be treated in China. We'd go into these hospitals, how many ventilators do you have? 50-60. A scale we aren't used to seeing. How many ECMO systems do you have? 5. We don't have that in Europe. When we look at how dangerous this disease is, we have to be careful looking at the China data. China know how to keep people alive from COVID - they are super committed to it and they are making a massive investment in it. That is not going to be the case everywhere in the world.... It is a serious disease and I worry that people are going to look at the China numbers and get a false sense of security."

He also goes on to share during the question period that he doesn't think there is a significant "iceberg" of mild cases that we aren't seeing in China because some community testing hasn't really shown that. This is alarming to me and something I was really hoping for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/f9mxwn/for_those_of_you_who_didnt_catch_his_press/

state of that reddit thread, I thought I was pessimistic about this but jesus, they are basically predicting a walking dead scenario over there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

MadYaker wrote: »
    Disgusting post, no excuses for such ignorance in this day and age.
    Totally agree.
    We are talking about Islam here, right?
    Same for the other religions.

No religion should dictate or be listened to when it comes to these types of real-life situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Agreed which is a big worry. I'm seeing and hearing a lot of "sure it only kills old and sick people" type comments from the public and the media.

It's this I'm alright Jack thinking that sickens me.

But there probably is a happy medium between those people and people f5-ing Coronavirus threads or prepping a shelter -
    sadly life does have to go on, this virus looks like it's not going to go away and as others have pointed out if society grinds to a halt that's going to be just as dangerous for vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bambi wrote: »
    Had a relative onto me, they had a member of public in their workplace coughing and spluttering, his daughter only a few days back from northern italy,. She rang her GP, GP has not a notion what to do, told her to ring HSE, HSE number ringing through to Menu that just hangs up.

Well prepared mar dhea

Update, eventually got through to someone, HSE are saying they won't test unless someone shows symptoms even if they were in an outbreak area. They're literally making sure the horse has bolted before they'll touch the stable door

Lunacy, whoever was on here bul****ting about how prepared the HSE are would want to wind their collective necks in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

What was the story?

Just embedded seems its a problem, copy the link and watch in another tab/window

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Harris meeting the IRFU now match expected to be cancelled.

Barn door closed horse long bolted lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would strongly advise people to start exercising more & improve diet.
    Need to to be as healthy as possible.

Far too many obese people in Ireland will result in a greater death rate imo.

My guess it is might be affecting older people more as they dont exercise much. It improves lung health.
    For Older people I would suggest a walking program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bambi wrote: »
    Update, eventually got through to someone, HSE are saying they won't test unless someone shows symptoms even if they were in an outbreak area. They're literally making sure the horse has bolted before they'll touch the stable door

Lunacy, whoever was on here bul****ting about how prepared the HSE are would want to wind their collective necks in

Not surprising. They like to talk themselves up as a competent organisation but the reality is they are a complete farce. I'd be genuinely worried about how they are going to handle an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭josip

What was the story?

Can't be embedded, try the direct link instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5k1-oe2BU

Public Health England has said it is not advising that schools shut in an attempt to stem the spread of coronavirus.

The organisation’s medical director, Paul Cosford, said: “Schools have to take difficult decisions given the complexity of issues that they are facing. What I would say is that our general advice is not to close schools.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/26/schools-not-being-advised-to-shut-over-coronavirus-says-phe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What was the story?

He’s recovering well.

https://youtu.be/HD5k1-oe2BU

Mwengwe wrote: »
    But there probably is a happy medium between those people and people f5-ing Coronavirus threads or prepping a shelter -
    sadly life does have to go on, this virus looks like it's not going to go away and as others have pointed out if society grinds to a halt that's going to be just as dangerous for vulnerable people.

There should no happy medium. If the Chinese took that silly attitude they'd be looking at a complete breakdown of their economy as it ravaged Beijing and other large cities. Extreme measures are needed like the cancellation of flights and mass gatherings of people. I'm beginning to think if this virus was killing 30 and 40 somethings in huge numbers we'd be seeing a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

There should no happy medium. If the Chinese took that silly attitude they'd be looking at a complete breakdown of their economy as it ravaged Beijing and other large cities. Extreme measures are needed like the cancellation of flights and mass gatherings of people. I'm beginning to think if this virus was killing 30 and 40 somethings in huge numbers we'd be seeing a different approach.

At the moment, relatively speaking, it's not killing any age group in 'huge' numbers. Iran has the highest death toll outside of China itself at 14. Not to take anything away from the tragic deaths that have occurred.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    At the moment, relatively speaking, it's not killing any age group in 'huge' numbers. Not to take anything away from the tragic deaths that have occurred.

At the moment but sure let's wait and see if does. Thankfully the Chinese didn't take that approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

embraer170 wrote: »
    Interesting list of things you can do to prepare:
    https://www.itsjusttheflu.com/survival
    To effectively shelter in place, you must isolate yourself (and those who are sheltered with you) from outside contact, until you consider it is safe to come back out:
    This means you have to seal your living space from people, animals, and perhaps circulating air, that may carry virus particles.
    How to seal your space if you live in an apartment building (OPTIONAL: these are extreme measures, but may increase your safety in such situations):

Seal door frames to all doors in and out (use duct tape or packing tape - beware it may remove paint if you peel it off to open the door later. It may leave a sticky glue residue as well.)

Seal all drains with something airtight - with a weight on it - except when you are using them. For example drain plugs. Or tape. Make sure to seal floor drains in bathroom floors. Seal sink and tub drains when you are not using them.

Seal any cracks or other places that might be letting air in from other apartments or living spaces from your own.

Yes seal off all air supplies to your home.

A sure way to not get the corona virus and to starve yourself of oxygen and die that way instead. A simulated pneumonia if you will. Genius.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Travel from Northern Italy should be stopped now. No point in taking the chance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

The problem with that - is that people in many cases will not do that.

Current advice from CDC and John Hopkins etc is to use facemasks when in close contact with someone who is infected.

Problem is in areas such as public transport where many people are in close contact - there is no way of knowing who may or may not be infected.

Importantly it also depends on the type of facemask used. Surgical type masks practically useless - N95 some protection. The surgical type masks are also prone to getting wet from breathing (and needing changes regularly) compared to N95 respirator type masks.

I'm sure the person is a very 'sensible woman'- however imo the logic of what is being advised by some is questionable at best.

I agree. How do you know if the other commuters on a rush hour Luas or bus are not carriers with no symptoms? You are definitely rubbing shoulders and in close contact with these people and touching surfaces which may be contaminated.

In very densely populated cities with lots of Mainland Chinese visitors like Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau, the spread has been slow (and mainly traceable)or halted (in Macau) because people are told to wear masks by infectious disease experts. In some cases masks are supplied by the Government. On some public transport (eg Macau tram), you are not allowed to get on unless you are wearing a mask. Candidates sitting public exams for university entrance will be supplied with and required to wear a mask during the exam....

In general, Asian cities remember Sars and are more aware of the importance of hand hygiene etc. AWARENESS, together with the use of masks have definitely helped slow the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

How did it get into northern Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yesterday you took issue with me criticising the constant inferences that people don't care about elderly and vulnerable people yet here you are doing exactly that.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

You're not including the people who current have it
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That's right. You can't because you don't know what their end outcome will be. If they all survive (fingers crossed) mortality rate drops. If they all due (God forbid) mortality rate increases......but until one of these outcomes happen you don't know with any certainty which way they will affect the mortality rate.....so you should not include them in the calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

This lady is 38 with phenomena, does Covid always result in some form of phenomena - mild or otherwise, can phenomena ever be considered mild? or is it just mild relative to requiring ICU treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭josip

laurah591 wrote: »
    This lady is 38 with phenomena, does Covid always result in some form of phenomena - mild or otherwise, can phenomena ever be considered mild? or is it just mild relative to requiring ICU treatment

Always

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t need a mask unless you’re getting up close and personal with someone who has it, like a family member etc. Or if you work in healthcare. The virus isn’t airborne so I’m not sure why so many people want masks. The hse advice on masks is straight forward. Washing your hands etc is more important.

Where did you read it's not airborne?

Yesterday you took issue with me criticising the constant inferences that people don't care about elderly and vulnerable people yet here you are doing exactly that.

Cop on.

Is that right. Have you got that post

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement