Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is that part of the flu jab? that’s what my parents and myself get.

No it is a separate injection .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

laurah591 wrote: »
    This lady is 38 with phenomena, does Covid always result in some form of phenomena - mild or otherwise, can phenomena ever be considered mild? or is it just mild relative to requiring ICU treatment

"Doctor, Doctor, I think I've got phenomena!"

"Don't be a muppet, you're fine!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TomSweeney wrote: »

You'd need to get to confession first, but there might be a crowd of possible virus spreaders waiting there

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Well you should be safe enough, unless the wind blows from the east :)

I know ;). Quite by happenstance there is no way unless I trip over the cat and break a bone and need hospital. Being very careful...

But then this is why I live like this. Love it anyways. Was thinking back and I have only been in close contact with anyone once in 15 months, when a neighbour kindly drove me to the church to set up Advent, al of a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably more helpful than the HSE currently are.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I wonder.....

Have the Schools in Ireland informed the HSE about the school trips where students are in infected Areas.

The Schools were students have returned home...

Did they return home before or after the fist cases were confirmed in Italy?

Occurs that there is going to be a deep urban/rural divide on this.

Busy cities as opposed to single dwellings widely scattered. I am in West Mayo and houses are fairly few and far apart.

Far less risk of infection and local shops are used to delivering.

There are dozens of live Masses on camera from different churches. So go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jam83 wrote: »
    How did it get into northern Italy?

My theory is it's somehow connected to the outbreak in the French Alps. A truck driver or somebody else who travels around relatively out-of-the-way areas a possible culprit...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Occurs that there is going to be a deep urban/rural divide on this.

Busy cities as opposed to single dwellings widely scattered. I am in West Mayo and houses are fairly few and far apart.

Far less risk of infection and local shops are used to delivering.

I'd imagine rural people are more likely to go to Mass - that'll definitely be a big spreader, especially amongst the elderly.
    But overall I'd agree, the lack of public transport and low density housing should be a mitigating factor in rural Ireland.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Agreed which is a big worry. I'm seeing and hearing a lot of "sure it only kills old and sick people" type comments from the public and the media.

It's this I'm alright Jack thinking that sickens me.

But if folk flout quarantine the only people they will meet are others doing the same? In which case...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A lot of Chinese living in Milan and Italy in general

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our primary school has asked anyone who was in an at risk area over the mid term break to contact them.
    In addition to giving the kids common sense advice on good hand hygiene practice without unduly spooking them.
    Nice to see a bit of leadership.

They dont know. They havent tracked down patient zero

The IRFU could consider holding the Ireland-Italy Six Nations rugby match behind closed doors, according to Minister for Health Simon Harris.

More from the country that had a stockpile of masks - does Ireland have a stockpile? Anyone in the HSE/hospitals know if either keep reserves in stock?
    When we start to see an increase in human to human transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Australia, we may see big gatherings cancelled, school and work closures and home quarantines come into effect.

Efforts to contain the virus will likely have an impact on the supply chain of goods and services so it’s best to start stocking up on essentials to make life as comfortable as possible.

“Now is the time to buy a few extra things,” he said.

“Think about your pets, think about your parents and grandparents (and) how they’re going to go. Do they need medication? Should you talk to your doctor about getting a few extra prescriptions in the cupboard just in case?

“It's pretty much to say what happens if your schools get closed and you’re stuck at home with your kids for a while or if people say you can’t go to work, we need to keep people at home for a while to slow down the spread of the virus.

“Are you set up at home to have some stuff for a couple of weeks to keep going, to have stuff to eat (like) canned food, dried food. Do you have (home-based activities) to do? Have you got batteries?”

Prof Mackay said there was no need to stockpile like a prepper while the virus remained contained in Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/its-coming-its-just-how-long-it-takes-to-come/news-story/e4236f1b73802379a9f8592ccb572d13

Sounds sensible
    In the event of an outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, the government has revealed some of the serious steps that would be taken.

In the event of an outbreak of coronavirus in Australia, major public events that draw large crowds would be cancelled while schools and workplaces in affected areas would close.

The government announced today it has activated its emergency response plan for global pandemics, as the COVID-19 disease continues to spread further through Asia and Europe.

The plan outlines how authorities should react in the event of an outbreak in Australia, in a manner that Mr Hunt described as “rings of containment”

Infected individuals and their families or affected groups would be contained in a bid to slow the impact, he said.

Depending on the severity of an outbreak and an infected individual’s movements, that could see the closure of schools and workplaces.

And in a scenario where rates of infection spike in major cities, large-scale events like AFL matches could be cancelled.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/cancel-major-events-close-schools-and-workplaces-what-happens-if-theres-an-outbreak-of-coronavirus/news-story/d42c8b2f06cac2c624226dcb4fb94249

The only thing I would say is they should expand their ban on flights from China to include any affected country or region with open borders i.e Europe would now be shut. Prevent stuff rather than react to it. Anyway its clear the path authorities are taking/going to take worldwide. No reason why Ireland wouldnt be different. The examples of schools in random places across the country just arriving back from N. Italy tells me that you should be stocking up sensibly like the Professor in Australia recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

The IRFU could consider holding the Ireland-Italy Six Nations rugby match behind closed doors, according to Minister for Health Simon Harris.

Thats a good idea. They could then screen the game in a large venue for al the italian fans that travelled over to watch it together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Panic?

Calmly told to go home and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If one of the Italian Props has the virus he could infect the entire scrum and both No 9's.

Let's hope it's no cause for concern and just a precaution :(

The majority of people arrive to work in that area by Tube so there is going to be a lot of concerned people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Boggles wrote: »
    Panic?

I think the express are legally prohibited from writing a headline that doesn't include at least one of the following words:

Panic
    Horror
    Shock
    Furious
    Outrageous
    Meltdown
    Exposed

Boggles wrote: »
    Panic?

In fairness i didn't write the headline and yes i agree it is a bit over the top.

It seems employees where sent home without an explanation and are only finding out now why.

Apparently the employee with the suspected case recently returned from a region with cases of the virus but it doesn't state what region.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Graces7 wrote: »
    But if folk flout quarantine the only people they will meet are others doing the same? In which case...

Unless they're housesharing with people who are obeying quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Thats a good idea. They could then screen the game in a large venue for al the italian fans that travelled over to watch it together.

Serve them plenty of pints in Hazmat suits. Everybody wins. (Except Italy in the rugby)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looks likely it was Chinese tourists to the area.
    The first cases detected in Italy were from two Chinese tourists in Rome on the 31st January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement