Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

RTE are now saying (Website) that Simon Harris has said that any decision to cancel the Ireland v Italy Match is up to the IRFU.

Does anyone know what kind of emergency powers our Government actually have to deal with anything to do with this Virus (or any other similar style of situation) ? Is there specific Legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

SusanC10 wrote: »
    RTE are now saying (Website) that Simon Harris has said that any decision to cancel the Ireland v Italy Match is up to the IRFU.

Does anyone know what kind of emergency powers our Government actually have to deal with anything to do with this Virus (or any other similar style of situation) ? Is there specific Legislation ?

Sounds like the IRFU told him to IRF off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The IRFU would to my mind like the game to go ahead. A delay could be infinite given this situation might go on till after summer and an empty stadium or behind closed doors means a bit less money in the coffers.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Why are we so ****ing inept.

Is everyone shirking the responsibility of stating, "The virus is an issue. We need to make necessary steps to protect the potential spread of it in Ireland".

The apparent thirst for money, over the protection of the nation and its individuals, is something that I hope doesn't severely bite us in the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-latest-italy-uk-china-tenerife-death-toll/

Overwhelmed Wuhan nurses speak out about hospital conditions

Two nurses treating patients in Wuhan have pleaded with the international medical community to come to China to help manage the epidemic.

In a heartfelt letter to the Lancet medical journal, Yingchun Zeng and Yan Zhen, who travelled to Wuhan from Guangzhou province to help their overwhelmed colleagues, say the conditions and environment in the city “are more difficult and extreme than we could ever have imagined”.

It is highly unusual for health staff to speak out and a Chinese doctor who warned about the virus when it first emerged last year was silenced by authorities.

They write:

“There is a severe shortage of protective equipment, such as N95 respirators, face shields, goggles, gowns, and gloves. The goggles are made of plastic that must be repeatedly cleaned and sterilised in the ward, making them difficult to see through.

“Due to the need for frequent hand washing, several of our colleagues’ hands are covered in painful rashes. As a result of wearing an N95 respirator for extended periods of time and layers of protective equipment, some nurses now have pressure ulcers on their ears and forehead."

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

Is everyone shirking the responsibility of stating, "The virus is an issue. We need to make necessary steps to protect the potential spread of it in Ireland".

Because if they did that and the virus ended up spreading less than expected they'd end up being criticised for being too extreme rather than praised for being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Question for you all.. my handicapped aunt has been in and out of hospital, no immune system, and now my sister had a big operation and had spleen and 2/3 of pancreas removed, and is told she is more at risk of infections and the sort. So it got me thinking about the coronavirus. If it comes here it'll be hard to get the essentials like masks and hand sanitiser when every one goes into panic buying mode. But at the same time there's so many different types of masks out there with different ratings it's hard to know if ur buying sumthing good or average. Same for hand sanitiser. Is there products they are recommending, haven't seen anything posted anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Because if they did that and the virus ended up spreading less than expected they'd end up being criticised for being too extreme rather than praised for being cautious.

When you're in a position of responsibility, you should easily be able to own that outcome and be comfortable that you've made the correct decision for the betterment and safety of all.

We have weak people in power, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If any one complained about them being too extreme, send them to Wuhan.

I'm guessing, based on a bit of reading, that if you get it, call your doctor and they are going to tell you to wait it out unless your at deaths door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭josip

bman1 wrote: »
    Question for you all.. my handicapped aunt has been in and out of hospital, no immune system, and now my sister had a big operation and had spleen and 2/3 of pancreas removed, and is told she is more at risk of infections and the sort. So it got me thinking about the coronavirus. If it comes here it'll be hard to get the essentials like masks and hand sanitiser when every one goes into panic buying mode. But at the same time there's so many different types of masks out there with different ratings it's hard to know if ur buying sumthing good or average. Same for hand sanitiser. Is there products they are recommending, haven't seen anything posted anywhere.

It's unlikely you'll be able to get a mask now.
    If getting sanitiser, people on here have recommended the Aldi one which has > 70% alcohol content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Its all economics. Nothing more nothing else.

This is why Italy declared a State of Emergency on January 31st in relation to Coronavirus even though they only had 2/3 confirmed Cases at that point - so that they could take immediate measures if things escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Did my final main shop this morning, just need 2 or 3 more big things of water and ill be happy with being able to last at least 2 weeks with whats in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

YFlyer wrote: »
    Where did you read it's not airborne?

It's droplet born. So anything with 2 meters is risky, or further if someone sneezes in your direction.
    It's unlikely to blow across a field at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Went to a few different pharmacies in Dublin today looking for hand sanitiser (I use it all the time anyway so I didn’t want it just because of coronavirus) but they were all sold out of it! People are stocking up on things like that it seems.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Did my final main shop this morning, just need 2 or 3 more big things of water and ill be happy with being able to last at least 2 weeks with whats in the house

Did you notice other people doing the same ? Or a shortage of anything ?

Going to do a final shop later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I dont know much about politics but wouldnt this be the call of the The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport working on the Advice of the Minister of Health?

Considering Shane Ross didn't get elected. Do we even have a Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

If one of the Italian Props has the virus he could infect the entire scrum and both No 9's.

You were calling everyone panic merchants just last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

In my flat we have a top up card for gas and electric so I queried with one of the businesses what do I do if the shops I top up my card at are closed, they said they post the cards, I’m like what do I do if the post man isn’t allowed to enter flats.... they’re like... ‘don’t panic’

Eh I wasn’t panicking. Why is asking a question to be prepared panicking? Some people are unreal.

I dont know much about politics but wouldnt this be the call of the The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport working on the Advice of the Minister of Health?

Considering Shane Ross didn't get elected. Do we even have a Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport?

The real question is, would not having a Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport be any worse than having Shane Ross in the position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It was early like 8am, saw one other guy im pretty sure was doing it as he had 3 of the 5 gallon water jugs and the giant bags of potatoes as well as loads of pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

Yes he is still minister until a new minister is called.

Quite a interesting predicament for the gov to be in though. Most of the ministers probably just want to get the hell out of office and hand over to whoever is next.

Not exactly the mindset you want with a pandemic on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's an interesting account of the Italian situation on this Wikipedia page.

According to it. It came from China via more than one route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Italy

bman1 wrote: »

Your best bet is that they stay at home and possibly limit the amount of visitors. Ensure that anyone who comes to visit them washes their hands thoroughly when they arrive. Keep tissues around for people to cough or sneeze in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Knex. wrote: »

The apparent thirst for money, over the protection of the nation and its individuals, is something that I hope doesn't severely bite us in the coming weeks and months.

Our efforts are essentialy the same as other countries. As some pointed out earlier, Lyon v Juve going ahead tonight. Why do you think WE are inept?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

The longer they go without announcement of first confirmed cases the better. Gives us a little more time to hit the shops before the rest of the country pulls it's collective head out of the sand and goes ape in blind panic.
    Wouldn't want to be one of the "it'll be grand" brigade when the sh1t hits the fan. Last one to lidl has to live off tins of weird olives and mystery meats.

Titclamp wrote: »
    Its all economics. Nothing more nothing else.

We just have to accept it will set the world back economically, it’s inevitable one way or another. Insurance companies will not be able to cover cancelled holidays or they will go under. During the ash cloud episode Air Greenland nearly went under with covering overnights in Greenland which is about I the most r pensive place on the planet. They had to issue a statement that they could no longer get provide accommodation. The airline is absolutely vital to the country as there is no other ready means of getting about. People are going to have to suck up expensive lost holidays etc and chalk it down to life. I do feel for people with mortgages and rents. Maybe as a landlord I will have to suck it up and keep rent my tenant’s affordable where circumstances require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Would be interesting if Tesco are tracking unusual purchases? I would say no, nothing you would notice.

Do any of the big chains sell UHT milk? I was going to check out Dealz in Stillorgan, they seem to have it on their website

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

The longer they go without announcement of first confirmed cases the better. Gives us a little more time to hit the shops before the rest of the country pulls it's collective head out of the sand and goes ape in blind panic.
    Wouldn't want to be one of the "it'll be grand" brigade when the sh1t hits the fan. Last one to lidl has to live off tins of weird olives and mystery meats.

They're my favourite things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Every minister stays in place until the next government is officially appointed by the president. Hence Shane Ross, Simon Harris, LeoV etc continue with their roles.

As to who holds the ultimate decision to withdraw the license for a sporting event... good question. Minister for Sport Ross probably, but the executive is still overseen by the judiciary so his reasoning would need to be legally solid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement