Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Just come from Lidl. Little useful nourishment to be found in there really, they are not replenishing shelves very well. The elderly woman in front of me at check-out was unwell and coughing, and after hand had gone to mouth trying to stifle cough it fumbled clumsily in wallet for cash, then handed the cash to check-out assistant. I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreak”. I do not understand elderly people’s insistence on always using cash. I mean they had to go to the trouble of getting the cash in the first place. My mother died in 2009 aged 89 and always used her card, simply as it was easier. I know if somebody has memory issues the pin can a problem but a lot of purchases done by elderly individuals could be contactless.

Lidl all you peasants deserve to get sick anyway.

I send my butler to Brown Thomas and Marks and Sparks and I tell the filthy little swine to keep his gloves and mask on when in my vicinity.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Absolutely.
    If Simon Harris can’t follow through on his word last night that the Ireland Italy match is cancelled, the he has lost all authority as Health minister.

'Mr Harris has said that the ultimate decision to proceed with the match rests with the IRFU.'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0226/1117632-coronavirus-ireland/

No it doesn't Mr. Harris, it rests with you!
    If ever the tail wagged the dog!

So the Minister of Of Tourism, Transport and Sport has no responsibility here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

10th case announced in Spain in the last day
    . First in Seville
    BNO news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Absolutely.
    If Simon Harris can’t follow through on his word last night that the Ireland Italy match is cancelled, the he has lost all authority as Health minister.

'Mr Harris has said that the ultimate decision to proceed with the match rests with the IRFU.'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0226/1117632-coronavirus-ireland/

No it doesn't Mr. Harris, it rests with you!
    If ever the tail wagged the dog!

While I agree the IRFU are being pricks about this Harris also needs to grow a pair and cancel the match, similarly how we need to start suspending flights, this fear politicians have of being wrong is going to end up killing people

• Advertisement

Crazy long incubation phase for some , that ship was quarantined weeks ago and some passengers only testing positive now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So the Minister of Of Tourism, Transport and Sport has no responsibility here?

I don’t know do we have one? He didn’t get re-elected, or does he hold post until filled? Either way, health officials said to cancel, tough on the irfu. I’m due to go to Paris for final game and if Paris gets an outbreak I won’t be going.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Not to get off topic.. but was this all one prize, or multiple prizes of a turkey? Seems odd either way..

Different times. Leading up to Christmas there’s 25 card games and you can win a turkey (you could take the money either). My mum won 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

have heard that a confirmation of a patient in beamount is imminent

and a hse helpline is being set up and probably available from tomorrow or friday

SHANE ROSS has called on the IRFU and Six Nations organisers to cancel Ireland's clash with Italy.

The Sports Minister has backed calls from the National Public Emergency Health Team to call-off the fixture to avoid the coronavirius breaking out in Ireland.

peaking on Morning Ireland on Wednesday, he said: "When the National Public Emergency Team recommend that a game be called off - I think we have absolutely no option. It's very disappointing indeed to defy their advice in that it would heighten the risk of the coronavirius coming to Ireland. It would be very foolish indeed.

"It's a very difficult situation for everybody but, of course, health is the most important issue at stake here.

"We've managed so far to avoid it in Ireland. It's breaking out in different places every day. We have to do everything we can to ensure that it doesn't come here and doesn't spread here.

"So, I think yeah, with great regret, once the chief medical officer, Tony Holohan and the National Public health emergency team say a major sporting event should be cancelled - we have to support it.

I'd say to them - they've got a meeting with Simon Harris today and he'll explain in great detail with I think, Tony Holohan as well, the Chief Medical Officer as well - to listen to what they have to say and to consider the serious and potentially very grave situation which might arise as a result of taking this match.

"I know it's difficult for them - they've got commitments which they'd have to break but this is an issue which requires an all of Ireland and all governance decision and they should consider it in that light," he added.

Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health, Tony Holohan told the program that it isn't a conclusion they have come to lightly but insisted it was in the public's interest.

"This region of Italy has been identified by us and by the European community, as a result of Italy's experience in the last few days, means that there is a substantial risk with a large mass gathering as this rugby match would be taking place, of that leading to cases being imported into this country," he said.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/rugby-union/5138391/shane-ross-ireland-italy-six-nations-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    This is why Italy declared a State of Emergency on January 31st in relation to Coronavirus even though they only had 2/3 confirmed Cases at that point - so that they could take immediate measures if things escalated.

coronavirus was declared a notifiable disease here last week and that involves powers of eg restraint

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Is Hand Sanitizer still readily available in Chemists ?

Susan most Euro and Pound stores have them, places like Dealz etc.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

and a hse helpline is being set up and probably available from tomorrow or friday

Here we go.:(

There's a poster in every other day saying stuff like this, I'm sure it'll be true eventually but there's been dozens of people saying they heard from HSE or whatever there was a case confirmed positive that hasn't been announced , nothing ever came of any of them

Source? Just word of mouth? Someone in the HSE?

the hse helpline is 99 perc ent happening
    the confirmed case less so i'm less sure about that but fair enough calling that out

i know someone who is going to be worken on the hs eline

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

The longer they go without announcement of first confirmed cases the better. Gives us a little more time to hit the shops before the rest of the country pulls it's collective head out of the sand and goes ape in blind panic.
    Wouldn't want to be one of the "it'll be grand" brigade when the sh1t hits the fan. Last one to lidl has to live off tins of weird olives and mystery meats.

The first confirmed cases in the UK came out a couple of weeks ago. Barely noticeable effect on any shop I shopped in. I'm a natural pessimist/worrier but I really can't help but roll my eyes when i read posts like this. If Lidl's shelves are bare (and they sometimes are even without pandemics) then more than likely the shop down the road won't be.

It's really worth remembering how it seems to have panned out in the UK so far. Some carriers were even working in the health service, yet (so far) catastrophe seems to have been averted.

There's a lot to be concerned about at the moment, but take a deep breath and just see how things pan out.

A lot of elderly in that area around the hospital. Then again these rumors are every day on here.

hse will not be manning it themselfs its been outsourced to a provider they already use for other callcenter stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Checking twitter i only see 1 person talking about it

https://twitter.com/deanpatrickegan/status/1232626384087986176?s=19

Id take it with a grain of salt for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He probably read it on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

My mother survived on a state pension, my aunt did, another aunt does, and so does my uncle. What is it about a state pension that would confine one to using cash? Just can’t figure this one out. Genuinely can’t.

Lots of older folks prefer cash, they don't 'trust' electronic modes of payment. Your 4 elderly relatives are no representative of the entire over 65 population. Wouldn't have thought that needed to be explained, genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wakka12 wrote: »
    Crazy long incubation phase for some , that ship was quarantined weeks ago and some passengers only testing positive now

Afaik the last of the passengers disembarked a couple of days ago. Staff and Japanese health officials remained on board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Graces7 wrote: »
    coronavirus was declared a notifiable disease here last week and that involves powers of eg restraint

I was talking more about Powers to ban public gatherings, cancel matches, close schools, offices, mandatory quarantine etc etc

That the Government/Dept of Health can take any necessary decisions rather than simply advising Organisations to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Stark wrote: »
    He probably read it on this thread
    I heard someone was expect d to be confirmed in limerick weeks ago. Source was reliable, but it was just an expectation, and it didn’t turn out to be the case.

It gets mentioned because they seem to test a lot of people they don’t expect to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Just come from Lidl. Little useful nourishment to be found in there really, they are not replenishing shelves very well. The elderly woman in front of me at check-out was unwell and coughing, and after hand had gone to mouth trying to stifle cough it fumbled clumsily in wallet for cash, then handed the cash to check-out assistant. I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreak”. I do not understand elderly people’s insistence on always using cash. I mean they had to go to the trouble of getting the cash in the first place. My mother died in 2009 aged 89 and always used her card, simply as it was easier. I know if somebody has memory issues the pin can a problem but a lot of purchases done by elderly individuals could be contactless.

This is the most offensive post I've ever read on boards.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Checking twitter i only see 1 person talking about it

https://twitter.com/deanpatrickegan/status/1232626384087986176?s=19

Id take it with a grain of salt for now

Unusual for someone to actually use their real name putting out something like that if it absolutely was untrue and appears to be a reporter on the bio. Maybe something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

silverharp wrote: »
    Would be interesting if Tesco are tracking unusual purchases? I would say no, nothing you would notice.

Do any of the big chains sell UHT milk? I was going to check out Dealz in Stillorgan, they seem to have it on their website

LIDL sell UHT in litres. I find now that the dried is excellent; not like the old days when it clumped.. oh and Holland and barrett.

Tesco will be way ahead with extra stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is there anyway Boards can get a 'White Knight' filter so I don't have to read the sanctimonious posts in response to the imaginary Lidl OAP?

• Advertisement

Unusual for someone to actually use their real name putting out something like that if it absolutely was untrue and appears to be a reporter on the bio. Maybe something in it.

Im going to hedge my bets its a student from a school trip if confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement