Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

SusanC10 wrote: »
    RTE are now saying (Website) that Simon Harris has said that any decision to cancel the Ireland v Italy Match is up to the IRFU.

Does anyone know what kind of emergency powers our Government actually have to deal with anything to do with this Virus (or any other similar style of situation) ? Is there specific Legislation ?
    That's a complete cop out by the minister for health, department of health, HSE and their advisors.

It is completely unreasonable to push what is a health decision onto a sporting organisation.

Playing to an empty stadium, postponing or cancelling the match at this stage will not stop the majority of Italian fans who have already made travel and accommodation arrangements from travelling to Dublin.

Without a travel ban there will still be a similar number of Italian rugby fans arriving in Dublin and mingling in the city centre.

The government need to p1ss or get off the pot. It is either serious enough to give a clear directive to cancel the match and simultaneously implement a (possibly temporary) travel ban from Italy or it is not.

The case could be made that tracing any infection would be easier, if needed, if the Italian fans arriving were all in one location (a stadium) rather than randomly wandering around the city. Could seating be redesignated so all Italian fans are in an 'away section' to minimise mixing?

Giving soft 'advice' to cancel the match while doing nothing about the significant number of fans who will still travel to Dublin us both pointless and contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

fr336 wrote: »
    *Logs onto Boards hoping the Corona thread has dropped off the front page*

"Nope, number 1 thread"

*Runs for the hills*

But dropped into it nonetheless just to make that salient point. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im going to hedge my bets its a student from a school trip if confirmed.

Its that or that guy from Singapore off the flight yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

nmacu wrote: »
    This is the most offensive post I've ever read on boards.

Boards is full of Kunts

• Registered Users Posts: 29,987 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Graces7 wrote: »
    LIDL sell UHT in litres. I find now that the dried is excellent; not like the old days when it clumped.. oh and Holland and barrett.
    Tesco will be way ahead with extra stocks.

And just to confuse us LIDL keep it in the fridges, even though the whole point of it is that it's an ambient product that only needs to be refrigerated once opened :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

What use is it cancelling that game when this is happening.

Dublin airport expects ALL these arrivals today’s from Italy. I’m not sure of the math, but let’s say half of all these flights are Italians, that’s hundreds will be in Dublin by tonight. Just today alone...

Mental.

3 Milan, 1 Venice, 2 Rome, 1 Naples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its that or that guy from Singapore off the flight yesterday

Got a linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Im going to hedge my bets its a student from a school trip if confirmed.

The schools are all Southside, wouldn’t make sense for them to be in Beaumont, unless all suspected cases are being sent there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pc7 wrote: »
    Live line covering panic buying today, it'll cause a run on the shops, the shelves will be empty! :D

I think the main supermarkets will have foreseen this and ordered extra. Hope so

Got a linky?

Read it on old thread yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So how long before we all start calling it Captain Trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

From the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control today.

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 26 February 2020

COVID-19-cases-EU-UK-26-february-2020.png?itok=RmuWIzlK

The graph looks suspiciously like where China was five weeks ago... only time will tell if it continues with the very rapid growth of the last 5 days.

:-(

The schools are all Southside, wouldn’t make sense for them to be in Beaumont, unless all suspected cases are being sent there ?

Theres one in bray another kildare, also heard about maynooth. Id guess beaumont is a central isolation point.

I dont know much about politics but wouldnt this be the call of the The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport working on the Advice of the Minister of Health?

Considering Shane Ross didn't get elected. Do we even have a Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport?
    Both are still ministers in the caretaker government until a new government is formed and both are equally inept wastes of space, promoted to positions beyond their ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

nmacu wrote: »
    This is the most offensive post I've ever read on boards.

You joined 12 years ago and this is the most offensive post you have ever read on boards.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Tea Shock wrote: »
    I had a look at the Dublin Airport website a short while ago and there was 3 flights arriving from Italy within the following 20 minutes

Not sure how many travelling supporters the Italian rugby team would bring with them. Probably 1 or 2 plane loads. Cancel the match?

#pointless?

Coming for the match a full 11 days ahead? I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You joined 12 years ago and this is the most offensive post you have ever read on boards.:rolleyes:

Think he might have been sarcastic!

Just come from Lidl. Little useful nourishment to be found in there really, they are not replenishing shelves very well. The elderly woman in front of me at check-out was unwell and coughing, and after hand had gone to mouth trying to stifle cough it fumbled clumsily in wallet for cash, then handed the cash to check-out assistant. I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreak”. I do not understand elderly people’s insistence on always using cash. I mean they had to go to the trouble of getting the cash in the first place. My mother died in 2009 aged 89 and always used her card, simply as it was easier. I know if somebody has memory issues the pin can a problem but a lot of purchases done by elderly individuals could be contactless.

I never had a card until I came to Ireland. Took me a while to get the hang of it too, and many OAPs get their pensions paid in cash at the Post Office.

It is choice. And I often pay in cash myself.

Patience and forbearance are needed, and kindness. And bugs can carry on a card as they can on cash and I am sure the supermarket staff know to wash their hands.

I hope the old lady did not hear you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

It's been a sheltered existence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

pc7 wrote: »
    Joe will have his nipple clamps on

That's my job

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And just to confuse us LIDL keep it in the fridges, even though the whole point of it is that it's an ambient product that only needs to be refrigerated once opened :)

I know. but someone I knew who worked there told me that they tried keeping it out of the fridge and folk refused to buy it so they moved it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What use is it cancelling that game when this is happening.

Dublin airport expects ALL these arrivals today’s from Italy. I’m not sure of the math, but let’s say half of all these flights are Italians, that’s hundreds will be in Dublin by tonight. Just today alone...

Mental.

3 Milan, 1 Venice, 2 Rome, 1 Naples

Given the size of Italy and the clustering of cases, I'd differentiate between the Milanese and the other flights, especially the ones from Rome and Napoli.
    Flights from Nice are probably of greater concern than Napoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Joe on LL saying flu is deadlier, got the coronavirus CFR right tho

I dunno, but I get a feeling some of you posting in here are a little bit angsty

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29be07cf62b9855a2fe67deabee39874786f6965ab&rid=giphy.gif

Liveline is fantastic grabage today, would reccomend everyone tune in

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Interesting Site here, where they graph cases in China, and outside China.
    By 'winter' countries and 'summer/equatorial' countries..

https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/updated-coronavirus-statistics-cases-deaths-mortality-rate/

There's now another of these fast-turnaround unreviewed papers that says there's an effect of ambient temp on transmission rate, but it's relatively modest.

Transmission curve is lower at -20deg C, peaks at ~8-9 deg C, then falls away a little as temps rise further.

I would think differences in public health control measures are the main factor behind variation in outbreak progression between locations.

'Temperature significant change COVID-19 Transmission in 429 cities'
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20025791v1

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Ireland’s slow response is insufficient. Our failure so far to expand testing beyond those who seem most obviously exposed and already sick, means that we have no way of knowing whether and how many cases are already circulating here. We may have an Italian scenario on our hands already, disguised as normal flu cases or seasonal viruses given the still- extremely limited scale of the HSE’s testing.

Covid-19 is no longer a disease somewhere over there in China. It is in Europe with a firm foothold in Italy and also Tenerife, France, Greece, Austria, Croatia and Switzerland.

‘Containment phase’ my ar$e. Of course it’s in a containment phase, so were my Hemorrhoids until they burst. Didn’t I wish I’d bought the cream.

But all the minimization, ‘ monitoring Ireland's preparedness’. What is it with this lack of urgency in Ireland? The under reaction could make things worse in the end.

Warnings not to overreact, not to panic - as if ordinary people are running rabid with a respiratory mask strapped to every orifice.

Disclaimer: I have never had Hemorrhoids.

My mother survived on a state pension, my aunt did, another aunt does, and so does my uncle. What is it about a state pension that would confine one to using cash? Just can’t figure this one out. Genuinely can’t.

It's usually collected weekly in the local post office in cash so by default someone on a state pension would have cash. Some don't have any bank account and those that do would need to lodge the cash to their account to be able to use a debit or credit card. A number of smaller towns and villages and rural areas don't have any banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Joe Duffy Show lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

the hse helpline is 99 perc ent happening
    the confirmed case less so i'm less sure about that but fair enough calling that out

i know someone who is going to be worken on the hs eline

Unless the source is in Public Health or HPSC it's not much use usually. They close ranks for any outbreak (as they should)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement