Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

Jesus some of you people here it is only bloody football it is not really important in this serious situation.:mad:

Some of us have booked holidays and our plans seem to be going arse over elbow.:eek:

Where’s that git who mentioned going to Greece in April? I knew they’d jinx it!

Beasty, find them and ban them. Ban them harrrrrrd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Any chance it'll get to Hamburg? I've a stag there next month I wouldn't mind getting out of.

Don’t go on account of Hamburg being an absolute kip

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well this is gas, a friend of ours who is slightly hypochondriac was reading that the hand gels are useless unless they comprise 80% alcohol, well for viruses anyway. Makes sense as that is what is in the hospitals. The bang of alcohol off them would get you breathalysed on the way home from visiting patients!

So he bought a bottle of cheapo vodka and made a mixture of vodka and handwash soap. I'd rather drink the hooch myself, but sure who knows now anyway it's all turning in to a bit of a farce.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BTW, this was posted on the UEFA website today:
    Following the decisions of the Italian authorities, the UEFA Europa League match between FC Internazionale Milano and PFC Ludogorets Razgrad will be played behind closed doors at the Stadio San Siro in Milan on Thursday 27 February 2020.

All other UEFA matches scheduled this week will go ahead as planned and at this time there are no restrictions for attending supporters.

UEFA will continue to closely monitor the situation regarding Covid-19 and to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect

Beasty wrote: »
    If anyone does not like it I can just ban 'em

The point is though that there are a few people in this thread looking for pretty much a complete lockdown of the State as a precautionary measure. I'm wondering if they were concerned enough about something they could easily have done something about to minimise this type of risk

I try to take precautions in most areas of my life, within reason. It takes little effort. Broadly speaking people fall into two categories, the Fatalistic Ostrich or the Corporal Jones Panic Brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If anyone is still struggling to find hand gels, I got some in the beauty section in Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,034 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well this is gas, a friend of ours who is slightly hypochondriac was reading that the hand gels are useless unless they comprise 80% alcohol, well for viruses anyway. Makes sense as that is what is in the hospitals. The bang of alcohol off them would get you breathalysed on the way home from visiting patients!

So he bought a bottle of cheapo vodka and made a mixture of vodka and handwash soap. I'd rather drink the hooch myself, but sure who knows now anyway it's all turning in to a bit of a farce.

Actually I think it needs to be higher than 70%, and vodka is only 40% so ... that aint gonna work Joe. Just ruined perfectly good vokda!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Would the vodka not be 40% alcohol though?

Absinthe is where you want to be at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

gozunda wrote: »
    Simon Harris: Coronavirus screenings at Irish ports 'not likely'

So we have Harris unilatetly declaring it doesn't work. ...

No, he's just repeating the exact words of the Chief Medical Officer this morning. Widespread screenings at airports and ports are useless and are a waste of resources.

WHO and Ireland's top medical officials have recommended against widespread screening at this point for this virus. It would be outrageous for Harris to ignore this and choose to do something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are flights to and from Italy still going in Ireland?
    Only the ones 'from' Italy.

• Advertisement

Decided not to go to Tenerife tomorrow. There was 1 case yesterday morning in that hotel and now there are 4 confirmed and a 5th rumoured. Still not sure I'm doing the right thing but my gut says not to go.

It was to be the first trip away together for myself and the other half in 18 months (and the last one was only to the UK), cursing my luck at picking the Costa Adeje!

I really think that the EU should be looking at travel restrictions to slow down the spread but I can't see that happening.

Right call to make. We may not avoid it ultimately, but if we sort of take turns at getting sick it may relieve the pressure in the system. There’s some logic in that, I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

And all that finger dipping on the way in, the haunted bread could also be a risk. They could always install alcho gels at the end of each seating area.

Fill the holy water fonts with alcohol gel, that way everyone gets to disinfect their hands on the way in and again on the way out.

Hire a few heavies to keep away anyone approaching the font with a straw. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Actually I think it needs to be higher than 70%, and vodka is only 40% so ... that aint gonna work Joe. Just ruined perfectly good vokda!

Tell him he needs 2 shots to get to the magic 80%

Re the alcohol content, I THINK it's the concentration in the bottle or something. eg 20% liquid soap and 80% alcohol. But sure I'll tell him anyway but I'd say he'd be too scared to use the keyboard now to reply.

Fill the holy water fonts with alcohol gel, that way everyone gets to disinfect their hands on the way in and again on the way out.

Hire a few heavies to keep away anyone approaching the font with a straw. ;-)

That would make a good little cartoon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If anyone does not like it I can just ban 'em

The point is though that there are a few people in this thread looking for pretty much a complete lockdown of the State as a precautionary measure. I'm wondering if they were concerned enough about something they could easily have done something about to minimise this type of risk

Yeah joking aside I was thinking something similar this morning. If this thing does take off here the major issue is going to be hospital overcrowding. People making sure to get their flu shots could go a long way towards mitigating that.

If anyone is still struggling to find hand gels, I got some in the beauty section in Penneys.

Sorry about the holiday. Hope your doctor can help you out with an unfit for travel cert.

Amirani wrote: »
    No, he's just repeating the exact words of the Chief Medical Officer this morning. Widespread screenings at airports and ports are useless and are a waste of resources.

WHO and Ireland's top medical officials have recommended against widespread screening at this point for this virus. It would be outrageous for Harris to ignore this and choose to do something different.

The only thing that concerns me about Ireland’s top medical officials is that they expressed as much concern for the economy last night than they did for public health.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I try to take precautions in most areas of my life, within reason. It takes little effort. Broadly speaking people fall into two categories, the Fatalistic Ostrich or the Corporal Jones Panic Brigade.

I would though suggest there needs to be a "reasonable" attached to that. I like to think I do take "reasonable" precautions, but not to the extent it is going to overly disrupt my life. Going to a match tomorrow and mingling with thousands of supporters is not, to me, an undue risk to take. I was at the 3Arena on Sunday with probably 5,000 or so standing around me. I was not looking out for anyone coughing (in fact some of the pyrotechnics and other "effects" that were being put on would have had a negative impact on air quality anyway).

I will come into reasonably close contact with dozens of people every day, and will have no idea if they could be be infected by this virus, particularly as it seems to have an extended period before any symptoms show. For all I know I may already be infected, but unless I start showing symptoms I'm not going to change my routine overly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Silly question, but if it's not airborne then how are the people on board that ship catching it so easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sorry about the holiday. Hope your doctor can help you out with an unfit for travel cert.

Thank you!

I think the thing which has surprised me most is that nobody has told me I'm mental for not going. It does help to know I'm not overreacting :D

Decided not to go to Tenerife tomorrow. There was 1 case yesterday morning in that hotel and now there are 4 confirmed and a 5th rumoured. Still not sure I'm doing the right thing but my gut says not to go.

It was to be the first trip away together for myself and the other half in 18 months (and the last one was only to the UK), cursing my luck at picking the Costa Adeje!

I really think that the EU should be looking at travel restrictions to slow down the spread but I can't see that happening.

Sorry about that, but I guarantee you will not be the only one making such a decision.

It's the right decision for you, and your gut feeling is a good one to observe.

Hopefully you will get something back. Better than worrying for the duration and beyond anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

By the time they tried to evacuate the cities, it was already too late.

The infection was everywhere.

The army blockades were overrun.

And that's when the exodus started.

The day before broadcasting stopped, there were reports of infection in Paris and New York.

We didn't hear anything more after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"More than 50 people have been tested for the coronavirus in Northern Ireland and all results have come back negative, the Public Health Agency (PHA) has said"

Source: https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1232690267280609281

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thank you!

I think the thing which has surprised me most is that nobody has told me I'm mental for not going. It does help to know I'm not overreacting :D

We are just being polite :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Silly question, but if it's not airborne then how are the people on board that ship catching it so easily?

Probably picking it up off surfaces; long incubation period.

Seems to be the case 2 people who were ill on there and recovered are back in hospital again (or at least one of them is).
    4 new cases in Hong Kong: 2 of which from the Diamond Princess cruise ship: [source]
    - a 21-year-old woman who had a fever on board the ship on Feb. 12 and was fine afterwards.
    - a 16-year-old man (youngest confirmed patient to date in Hong Kong) who had runny nose on the ship on Feb. 17 and is currently hospitalized at Queen Mary Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Five new cases have been detected on the Spanish mainland in past 24 hours - one in the Valencia region, two in the Madrid region and another two in Catalonia.

From BBC News

Ironicname wrote: »
    Vodka is only 37.5% / 40% though

I know, but I said upthread that I think it's the actual concentration/amount of alcohol in the homemade antiviral soup, eg, fill the bottle with 8/10ths alcohol, and 2/10ths liquid soap. Now I am useless at the oul sums, but I think that's what friend meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

4/10 of the top trending threads currently all relate to de virus.
    Nearly every single newspaper on the planet has it headlined on their front page.

Don't panic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I am wondering how many of the doom and gloom merchants in this thread had the flu jab this season (I did BTW, but then I'm starting to get on a bit....)

Don't know if i'm a doom and gloom merchant but I didn't get the jab, and I got the flu.

Good advice to get the vaccine even now.
    You're still much more likely to get the flu, and the early symptoms look the same.
    Fewer people with flu will mean fewer false alarms.

Even if you've had the flu, you could still catch another strain, and the vaccine protects against multiple circulating strains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement