Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Beasty wrote: »
    I would though suggest there needs to be a "reasonable" attached to that. I like to think I do take "reasonable" precautions, but not to the extent it is going to overly disrupt my life. Going to a match tomorrow and mingling with thousands of supporters is not, to me, an undue risk to take. I was at the 3Arena on Sunday with probably 5,000 or so standing around me. I was not looking out for anyone coughing (in fact some of the pyrotechnics and other "effects" that were being put on would have had a negative impact on air quality anyway).

I will come into reasonably close contact with dozens of people every day, and will have no idea if they could be be infected by this virus, particularly as it seems to have an extended period before any symptoms show. For all I know I may already be infected, but unless I start showing symptoms I'm not going to change my routine overly.

I am on this line of thinking to a degree.

I was speaking with somebody earlier and they asked if I am taking the children out of school and cancelling meetings. I am looking at everything from a risk analysis point of view.

I have taken the steps to make sure if things kick off here, I and my family have the option to self isolate quickly and without much concern. This does not need to impact my families/work day to day normal life so my children still go to school and I still make work plans.

I do think the virus is in Ireland and its only a matter of time before we get our first case. But I also think that until the first cases start rolling in, my statistical chance of catching it is relatively low if I am just mindful of my plans. I am meeting a client tomorrow who was in Milan last week. I may also be meeting a client who works in a doctors surgery. These are my "high risk" meetings but I am not at the stage where I am overly concerned.

I feel this is a pragmatic prudent approach to this. Caution, preparation and then carry on with your life as best you can with the information we have.

I have also stopped paying off a holiday this summer, still saving for it, but keeping the funds in case it gets cancelled. Will leave it till the latest to pay it off.

I am also still making business plans regardless of the outcome. I can do alot of work from home , so if there is a lockdown I wont worry and can just focus on another part of my business I have not had the time to focus on.

So, I would hope that if things go well, all thats happened is that I got a lesson in preperation for a potential crisis situation. If things do get bad here, I (and my family) will not get the same sort of shock that others will suffer at the most stressful time possible (when the sh*t has already hit the fan).

Not a hope unless there is a travel advisory issued in the next 12 hours or so - can't see that happening.

I'm also just getting over a chest infection at the moment and did wonder if a doctor's cert advising against travel would mean anything to the Insurers but probably not, I'll ring them later and see.

You will be covered if you have an illness. However be very wary at insurance companies. I am with VHI Multitrip and made a claim when I suffered a leg injury that prevented me walking and had to have surgery on the day I should have travelled. The number of hurdles I had to jump through was great, they kept on getting my doctors to sign more forms, and then would not refund any of the tax element of flights or hotel bookings. I also know somebody who tried to claim back on account of a relative who was due to travel but had died unexpectedly. They refused to entertain the claim as a travel agent had not been used, but that was back in 2009. The amount you end up being refunded is about a third of what you paid, in my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The only thing that concerns me about Ireland’s top medical officials is that they expressed as much concern for the economy last night than they did for public health.

It's a fair point though.
    Public health is intrinsically linked to the economy.

If the economy goes into freefall, people's standard of living and therefore overall health declines.

It's a fine balance they've to work with weighting up the danger and impact of the virus and the impact on decisions on the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Thank you!

I think the thing which has surprised me most is that nobody has told me I'm mental for not going. It does help to know I'm not overreacting :D

It's the possibility of quarantine In a hotel room for 3 weeks is stopping me.
    I'd PAY someone the cost of a holiday than being stuck in one room 24/7 trying to entertain a child for 3-4 weeks. And explain to them why they can't leave, can't go to the pool, can't go outside.

All the while wondering if the staff assisting you have it.
    That's a BIG nope from me.

You did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Probably picking it up off surfaces; long incubation period.

Seems to be the case 2 people who were ill on there and recovered are back in hospital again (or at least one of them is).

I keep waiting for a question on re-infection at any of the WHO news reports.
    It seems that docs in China are warning it's a very real thing and more dangerous 2nd time. But only heresay, nobodies asking official folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Let's hope we as a country don't suffer too much with this. I also agree that it more than likely is already here but not evident yet.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Every day brings more news.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,034 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If the economy goes into freefall, people's standard of living and therefore overall health declines.
    It's a fine balance they've to work with weighting up the danger and impact of the virus and the impact on decisions on the economy.

That's not their job though. What do they know about the economy?
    Their responsibility is the medical situation.
    The government can bring together the different impacts but if medical experts start muddying their analysis due to economic concerns it makes a nonsense of their advice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It's the possibility of quarantine In a hotel room for 3 weeks is stopping me.
    I'd PAY someone the cost of a holiday than being stuck in one room 24/7 trying to entertain a child for 3-4 weeks. And explain to them why they can't leave, can't go to the pool, can't go outside.

All the while wondering if the staff assisting you have it.
    That's a BIG nope from me.

You did the right thing.

If you had the luxury suite in a five star place with access to own private plunge pool things might not be too bad, with meals delivered outside room and a basin of disinfectant to put the dishes for washing up when finished, to protect staff etc.

Teresa Mannion on radio re weather tips. We could do with such a figure giving health tips in a positive upbeat manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Most new cases outside China now

• Advertisement

It seems that docs in China are warning it's a very real thing and more dangerous 2nd time. But only heresay, nobodies asking official folk.

Maybe those cases had never really recovered in first place, or got co-infection with influenza or some other factor. The thing has only been around since about December, so there hasn’t been that much of a gap period for people to have made an alleged 100% recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Think I remember reading something stating up to 14% of people don't retain the antibodies after it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Reminds me of the vice president in "The day after Tomorrow" when Denis Quaid was trying to warn him of the impending crisis:

"Our economy is every bit as fragile as the environment. Perhaps you should keep that in mind before making sensationalist claims.":pac:

I know, but I said upthread that I think it's the actual concentration/amount of alcohol in the homemade antiviral soup, eg, fill the bottle with 8/10ths alcohol, and 2/10ths liquid soap. Now I am useless at the oul sums, but I think that's what friend meant.

So a bottle of Captain Morgan’s combined with a bottle of Cien handwash might be just the ticket. :D

darjeeling wrote: »
    Don't know if i'm a doom and gloom merchant but I didn't get the jab, and I got the flu.

Good advice to get the vaccine even now.
    You're still much more likely to get the flu, and the early symptoms look the same.
    Fewer people with flu will mean fewer false alarms.

Even if you've had the flu, you could still catch another strain, and the vaccine protects against multiple circulating strains.

Good advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Jesus some of you people here it is only bloody football it is not really important in this serious situation.:mad:

Some of us have booked holidays and our plans seem to be going arse over elbow.:eek:

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Think I remember reading something stating up to 14% of people don't retain the antibodies after it hits.

Very disappointing :(
    I had been trying to console myself with the idea of at least hopefully acquiring some immunity having suffered through and survived. To me that’s the most depressing aspect. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sure, there's a cost / benefit analysis at play. We live on an island and are in a far better position to keep this out than many states. Most people have to enter/ exit by a small number of airports or ferries. We could close these or restrict to absolutely essential travel by permit, allow in containers by permit with strict controls etc. Would have a significant impact on the economy though, what is the cost of that versus the prospect of perhaps a few 10s or 100s of premature deaths?

The government seems to be waiting till the sh*t hits the fan and then they'll throw their hands in the air and say it's too late. Wash your hands and say a few prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I know, but I said upthread that I think it's the actual concentration/amount of alcohol in the homemade antiviral soup, eg, fill the bottle with 8/10ths alcohol, and 2/10ths liquid soap. Now I am useless at the oul sums, but I think that's what friend meant.

so it's now 30-32% alcohol....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italian cases have surged to 374 so far today (up on 270 yesterday). Death toll stands at 12...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Any update on a cure?
    I heard that on thursday there would be an annoucement re tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

blingrhino wrote: »
    Any update on a cure?

Dont know where you would here that. That will probably take years.

Cold temperatures may favour its spread, warm weather may mitigate it. Get somewhere hot and stay there. Get out of the air conditioning into the warmth, if this is true.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20025791v1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Its now over a month since the city of Wuhan was locked down (23rd January) and only now does it look like they maybe (if we can believe the regime in China) are getting a handle on it.

Either way the Chinese must be applauded for the monumental effort they have made to stop the spread of this virus and the sacrifice of the medical community in China which has been very costly in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Any update on a cure?

I read yesterday that Chinese scientists wanted to start testing a vaccine, but that will take months, winter 2021 at the earliest for a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Cold temperatures may favour its spread, warm weather may mitigate it. Get somewhere hot and stay there. Get out of the air conditioning into the warmth, if this is true.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20025791v1

Who wants to sell their tickets to Tenerife to me in the cheap?

Dont know where you would here that. That will probably take years.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-remdesivir-treat-covid-19-begins

IF this proves helpful, we might possibly start to benefit by its use within weeks to months.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Any update on a cure?

"Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in the US, told reporters: “You’re talking about a year to a year and a half” before any vaccine would be ready for widespread use."

"

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51628990

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Who wants to sell their tickets to Tenerife to me in the cheap?

Ha if you're interested, I'll sell you my accommodation from tomorrow to Monday - but you'll need to sort your own flights :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I read yesterday that Chinese scientists wanted to start testing a vaccine, but that will take months, winter 2021 at the earliest for a vaccine.

Vaccines need to be tested extensively, like a sh*tload.
    Because it's something that would be given to the majority of the population (in order to be effective, herd immunity etc).
    So if there was a side effect that they didnt catch - it could have severe consequences across the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement