Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sure, there's a cost / benefit analysis at play. We live on an island and are in a far better position to keep this out than many states. Most people have to enter/ exit by a small number of airports or ferries. We could close these or restrict to absolutely essential travel by permit, allow in containers by permit with strict controls etc. Would have a significant impact on the economy though, what is the cost of that versus the prospect of perhaps a few 10s or 100s of premature deaths?

The government seems to be waiting till the sh*t hits the fan and then they'll throw their hands in the air and say it's too late. Wash your hands and say a few prayers.

Only today Harris was telling us we can't do anything as we are all part of one big happy European family seemingly forgetting we aren't landlocked between France and Germany.

Also is Varadkar gone into hiding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

timmyntc wrote: »
    Vaccines need to be tested extensively, like a sh*tload.
    Because it's something that would be given to the majority of the population (in order to be effective, herd immunity etc).
    So if there was a side effect that they didnt catch - it could have severe consequences across the world.

Vaccines don't have side effects stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

In Germany myself. Got a cold. Probably not corona but staying home just in case.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Vaccines need to be tested extensively, like a sh*tload.
    Because it's something that would be given to the majority of the population (in order to be effective, herd immunity etc).
    So if there was a side effect that they didnt catch - it could have severe consequences across the world.

Well, giving it to loadsa people is by definition extensive testing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

blingrhino wrote: »
    Any update on a cure?
    I heard that on thursday there would be an annoucement re tests?

It will take a monumental effort to have a vaccine ready before next Winter.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Who wants to sell their tickets to Tenerife to me in the cheap?

Outdoor camping in individual tents is probably the way to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Only today Harris was telling us we can't do anything as we are all part of one big happy European family seemingly forgetting we aren't landlocked between France and Germany.

Also is Varadkar gone into hiding?

He is away sulking but appears on social media every now and again to have a pop at Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest:

First case in Pakistan.

New case in Helsinki. 2nd in Finland.

First case in Macedonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I keep waiting for a question on re-infection at any of the WHO news reports.
    It seems that docs in China are warning it's a very real thing and more dangerous 2nd time. But only heresay, nobodies asking official folk.

The lack of discussion about the potential to get re-infected is conspicuous at this stage. I would imagine if it is the case that one can get re-infected the virus will be far less discriminatory in terms of age and medical condition of fatalities. Maybe those who think we should press ahead and let the virus take its course should reflect on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

UsBus wrote: »
    I was afraid to even mention Liverpool... Need those 4 games to be played out quickly..!

Would make no difference. If the PL,or any other league for that matter , is suspended then all results and league table positions would be null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Titclamp wrote: »
    Vaccines don't have side effects stupid

They can do if they are not tested. See all the crap that went down with the Swine Flu Vaccine.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will take a monumental effort to have a vaccine ready before next Winter.

There really needs to be a "manhattan project" to fix this.

I know there are competing labs trying to get this up and running; if you get the vaccine for this out; the issue is mass production. I think GSK have the facilities to do it and they are working on something at the moment with Moderna?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ha if you're interested, I'll sell you my accommodation from tomorrow to Monday - but you'll need to sort your own flights :p

Unfortunately flights are still expensive. No drop in price lol

Sigma101 wrote: »
    The lack of discussion about the potential to get re-infected is conspicuous at this stage. I would imagine if it is the case that one can get re-infected the virus will be far less discriminatory in terms of age and medical condition of fatalities. Maybe those who think we should press ahead and let the virus take its course should reflect on that.

I think there is some truth in that and probably why a lot of those doctors died in Asia.

It could also be the case that people were being released before they were fully cured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This crap would make you miss Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm at the dentist right now. I did have second thoughts but then if everything does go tits up for a while when's the next time I'll be able to get it sorted? Right now its weighing up the risks vs the reality that there are no cases where I live. Same in ireland. Live your life as normal for as long as you can while still being prepared, and taking reasonable precautions like handwashing etc and hopefully it will come to nothing. Theres literally nothing else anyone can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

have heard that a confirmation of a patient in beamount is imminent

and a hse helpline is being set up and probably available from tomorrow or friday

There was a school from Rush in Northern Italy from Weds-Sun of last week. Apparently a few are unwell this week, message went out on iSchool app today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Add pakistan to the list of countries, just declared their first confirmed infection. Person travelled from Iran to Karachi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

WHO mini course on the COVID19 virus:

https://openwho.org/courses/introduction-to-ncov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The new case in Helsinki is a woman who had travelled from Milan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm at the dentist right now. I did have second thoughts but then if everything does go tits up for a while when's the next time I'll be able to get it sorted? Right now its weighing up the risks vs the reality that there are no cases where I live. Same in ireland. Live your life as normal for as long as you can while still being prepared, and taking reasonable precautions like handwashing etc and hopefully it will come to nothing. Theres literally nothing else anyone can do

They could check people at the (air)ports?

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think there is some truth in that and probably why a lot of those doctors died in Asia.

It could also be the case that people were being released before they were fully cured.

I thought the theory re the doctors was that they were exposed to a very high viral load through treating patients, making their infections more severe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,594 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can people not have it and no symptoms for 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Teresa Mannion and unnecessary journeys comes to mind.....

That wont really do anything, not everyone is symptomatic, those who are can take medication to reduce fever so wont be flagged up. Even the actual tests for this virus specifically aren't that reliable with many false negatives reported

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That wont really do anything, not everyone is symptomatic, those who are can take medication to reduce fever so wont be flagged up. Even the actual tests for this virus specifically aren't that reliable with many false negatives reported

But they might catch a couple of people coming through?

But they might catch a couple of people coming through?

They might. And dozens more will pass through unnoticed. Its going to be everywhere pretty soon, on a personal level you can take precautions and prepare to stay at home for a while but that's it.

They should probably advise people travelling from affected regions to self isolate for a couple of weeks but will they listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If Europe had just stopped flights from Italy a week ago containment would have been so much easier... seems so obvious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

There was a school from Rush in Northern Italy from Weds-Sun of last week. Apparently a few are unwell this week, message went out on iSchool app today.

Hearing lots of anecdotal things like this about school ski trips (had no idea there were so many school ski trips - the boom is clearly back) for mid-term.

While I don't have scientific proof of this, the experience for myself and others I know is that ski trips actually often end up with people catching a dose toward the end (sometimes the beginning!) or being ill when they come back home - mainly due to cold/hot air changes, exposure, extreme fatigue caused by doing heaps of sport all day when they're not used to it etc. So the immune system can get compromised.

I would take all reports about this with a pinch of salt until things are confirmed. As an example, of 10 of us who used to go away skiing together each year, at least two tended to come back and develop a chest infection, even pneumonia on a couple of occasions.

So, yeah, no massive panic about the amount of sick kids we are hearing about until there is testing and proof (IMO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Cases confirmed in 45 countries now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement