Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They might. And dozens more will pass through unnoticed. Its going to be everywhere pretty soon, on a personal level you can take precautions and prepare to stay at home for a while but that's it.

They should probably advise people travelling from affected regions to self isolate for a couple of weeks but will they listen?

Surely the strategy is to contain and slow down the spread - then surely scanning at airports does make sense in that it would catch those with symptoms at the very least?

Those who develop symptoms after transit into the country will have to be caught and contained at the regional level then - if they just wait until cases are symptomatic across the country and contact the HSE - the spread will be crazy. We'll never get it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

shalclon wrote: »
    Sorry if this is stupid question but I'm curious to know if like the flu virus it's more easily spread in cold and damp weather and If weather picked up in next few weeks would spread slow down or are they totally unrelated?

I dunno I've seen pretty sh1te Aprils and Mays too at times.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heard nothing at all on a potential case at Beaumont Hospital. Another false alarm most likely.

Cases confirmed in 45 countries now.

Anyone thinking of cancelling their foreign holiday this year if booked up to June/July and just staying in Ireland instead?

I don’t want to be out of pocket or confined to a hotel room for 2 weeks- I’m hoping the worst will have happened by then but it’s worrying nevertheless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Can someone confirm if this thread is a good example of how a lot of Ireland is reacting to this?

I am currently in a big city in the US and people are somewhat concerned but it seems like many here are completely freaking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Particles linger in the air for a longer time in cold weather..... in hot weather they don’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

We need st Patrick to work his magic again, banish the Corona virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

Where would announcement of first case here be made?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Can someone confirm if this thread is a good example of how a lot of Ireland is reacting to this?

I am currently in a big city in the US and people are somewhat concerned but it seems like many here are completely freaking out.

we are calm compared to most

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Average person is saying it’s just another flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Abba987 wrote: »
    I hope all the churches do away with offering the sign of peace and shaking hands with strangers. Its vile on a normal day but really needs to stop now. I am not a big mass goer but was at a couple of funerals recently and its still happening

Several dioceses/parishes have in fact stopped this as they do every winter in flu season and there are questions re communion itself at present.

And it will be reinforced now,

Check with google?
    I never participated as I am immunocompromised . Just fold your hands . close your eyes, bow your head. Anyone can do this. ( I also HATE this custom!) And no one ever challenged me on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone thinking of cancelling their foreign holiday this year if booked up to June/July and just staying in Ireland instead?

I don’t want to be out of pocket or confined to a hotel room for 2 weeks- I’m hoping the worst will have happened by then but it’s worrying nevertheless

You'll be fine in July and very unlucky to be affected in June.
    Book somewhere as far south and as hot as you can find.
    I've heard that northern Mali is nice that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

a person in my workplace came back from a multi-day work trip in milan late last week. they're not concerned about the virus at all and even laughing about it around the office. rest of co-workers are horrified and raised concerns but the boss won't send this person home even though their job could easily be done from home for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

So, yeah, no massive panic about the amount of sick kids we are hearing about until there is testing and proof (IMO).

When i was a kid i used to think I had every disease and illness I heard about on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I'm in a couple of FB groups about travel and women who travel solo etc and they're mostly Americans.. but you'd swear it was doomsday the way they panic about EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Cases confirmed in 45 countries now.
    The question now is how many of the 45 are ready, willing or able to replicate the draconian measures of containment, contact tracing and medical care that China has taken to reduce the numbers of people being infected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hearing lots of anecdotal things like this about school ski trips (had no idea there were so many school ski trips - the boom is clearly back) for mid-term.

While I don't have scientific proof of this, the experience for myself and others I know is that ski trips actually often end up with people catching a dose toward the end (sometimes the beginning!) or being ill when they come back home - mainly due to cold/hot air changes, exposure, extreme fatigue caused by doing heaps of sport all day when they're not used to it etc. So the immune system can get compromised.

I would take all reports about this with a pinch of salt until things are confirmed. As an example, of 10 of us who used to go away skiing together each year, at least two tended to come back and develop a chest infection, even pneumonia on a couple of occasions.

So, yeah, no massive panic about the amount of sick kids we are hearing about until there is testing and proof (IMO).

I’m from Rush. I don’t think it was a ski trip they were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

bb12 wrote: »
    a person in my workplace came back from a multi-day work trip in milan late last week. they're not concerned about the virus at all and even laughing about it around the office. rest of co-workers are horrified and raised concerns but the boss won't send this person home even though their job could easily be done from home for a couple of weeks.

Is it a larger company than your office? Ie could any of you escalate this higher anonymously? I'm sure if it's a medium to large company they won't want the bad publicity if this ends up in it being spread around.

The question now is how many of the 45 are ready, willing or able to replicate the draconian measures of containment, contact tracing and medical care that China has taken to reduce the numbers of people being infected ?

this whole mess started in China, don't be pretending that they are great lads , leave cats and dogs alive, do not eat

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Heading to Disney world Orlando for 5 days next week. I'm a little nervous, melting pot of tourism from all around the world. Tight spaces with long queues. Considering face mask - at least for queuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I haven't met a single person in real life completely freaking out. People are concerned, but nowhere near the point of panic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Heading to Disney world Orlando for 5 days next week. I'm a little nervous, melting pot of tourism from all around the world. Tight spaces with long queues. Considering face mask - at least for queuing.
    Full on respiratory face mask to protect eyes and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A face mask is only useful if you are infected and don't want to infect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cases reported in Pakistan, Macedonia and Finland
    All had links to Italy or Iran

There is now more cases occurring outside China than within

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Titclamp wrote: »
    Same Jon Hopkins who did a virtual pandemic last October with corona virus?

Nope that's the electronic musician who released the amazing Immunity. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

A face is only useful if you are infected and don't want to infect others.

I'll have you know my face is very useful thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was in the Chinese store on Henry Street, Limerick at 4:30 pm. Was the only customer.

I wonder are people reluctant to go to these stores or was just a quiet few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Unfortunately flights are still expensive. No drop in price lol

Unlike the Ryanair share price which dropped 14% yesterday.

wakka12 wrote: »

There is now more cases occurring outside China than within

More new cases. Basic but important distinction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wouldn't bother with the mask next week in Orlando.
    Temps in high 20s and lowish looking humidity.

Uz9ak50.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement