Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Heres a question is the virus less deadly as its passed along ?
    I read in China it has a 2% death rate everyone else its 1% so far ,
    Sar's had a 10% death rate but not as easily spread ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

online-200226-coronaviruscasesinsingapore.jpg

Two new cases in Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

timmyntc wrote: »
    Surely the strategy is to contain and slow down the spread - then surely scanning at airports does make sense in that it would catch those with symptoms at the very least?

Those who develop symptoms after transit into the country will have to be caught and contained at the regional level then - if they just wait until cases are symptomatic across the country and contact the HSE - the spread will be crazy. We'll never get it under control.

Yes, more proactive measures not just waiting for it to come. Look at what was done for Foot & Mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tillyfilly wrote: »
    this whole mess started in China, don't be pretending that they are great lads , leave cats and dogs alive, do not eat

I am not pretending they are 'great lads' but they appear to have slowed the advance of this disease by the use of strict quarantine and containment.

They have also shut down permanently the wild animal trade which has been responsible for this epidemic and others before this... about time too !
    China's wildlife-farming industry, valued at $74 billion, has been permanently shut down.

On Monday, the nation's legislature banned the buying, selling, and eating of wild animals in an effort to prevent zoonotic diseases from jumping from animals to people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-wildlife-trade-consumption-coronavirus-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Technically now it's arrived in Brazil, sure it meets WHOs pandemic (all continents) status?
    Maybe they're waiting for the Antartic to phone in.

Also new countries to join the list today are Greece and Lebenon.

No doubt a case will crop up then in Gort, Galway at some point, reportedly the biggest Brazilian population in Ireland. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Is anybody, like myself, beginning to become a bit depressed over everything to do with this virus :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

They are mostly gone from there now since the meat factory closed in 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I am not pretending they are 'great lads' but they appear to have slowed the advance of this disease by the use of strict quarantine and containment.

They have also shut down permanently the wild animal trade which has been responsible for this epidemic and others before this... about time too !

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-wildlife-trade-consumption-coronavirus-2020-2?r=US&IR=T
    still seems temporary
    "Last month, the national government temporarily suspended the buying and selling of wild-animal products, which are commonly used for food, fur and in traditional medicines in China. But the emergency measure will be lifted once the outbreak ends"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

otnomart wrote: »
    "More than 50 people have been tested for the coronavirus in Northern Ireland and all results have come back negative, the Public Health Agency (PHA) has said"

Source: https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1232690267280609281

It must be something in the Whiskey :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I would avoid crowds if at all possible from now on. Also carry a small alcohol 60% plus hand gel. Wear gloves away from home and disinfect them when you return. Same for a scarf (I know it wont stop a virus sized particle but will stop droplets and dirt) to stop inhaling what others cough. Would reduce the viral load anyway.

I saw a recipe for an aerosol disinfectant using common bleach (Sodium Hypochloride) 3% solution.

Use 30ml of thick bleach to 1 litre bottle of water in a spray bottle to disinfect surfaces areas or clothes. This strength of 0.1% is said to kill the virus within 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Outdoor camping in individual tents is probably the way to go :)

ebola-outbreak-in-congo-might-turn-into-an-ebola-pandemic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Is anybody, like myself, beginning to become a bit depressed over everything to do with this virus :(:(

Yes, but I feel better today, cos I'm not constantly checking bbc, and other news sites.

Reporting on every single new case and the bs on social media doesn't help either.

Also stopped watching John Campbell, he has the facts and figures but he projects the absolute worse scenario - too much.

Imagine if RTE/BBC reported on every single car crash...would give you an unrealistic sense of danger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If Europe had just stopped flights from Italy a week ago containment would have been so much easier... seems so obvious.....

No it wouldn't.

There are trains, boats, buses, cars, walkers crossing from Italy into other European countries pretty much every second of the day. Stopping flights wouldn't make much difference to containment.

Also - what do you do for the Irish citizens in Italy whose flights you've just banned? Leave them hanging around in Italy for an undefined period of time - because of a measure that probably wouldn't even be successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tillyfilly wrote: »
    still seems temporary
    "Last month, the national government temporarily suspended the buying and selling of wild-animal products, which are commonly used for food, fur and in traditional medicines in China. But the emergency measure will be lifted once the outbreak ends"

What part of "permanently shut down" do you not understand ?

The temporary suspension was last month, the total ban was last monday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Well this is gas, a friend of ours who is slightly hypochondriac was reading that the hand gels are useless unless they comprise 80% alcohol, well for viruses anyway. Makes sense as that is what is in the hospitals. The bang of alcohol off them would get you breathalysed on the way home from visiting patients!

So he bought a bottle of cheapo vodka and made a mixture of vodka and handwash soap. I'd rather drink the hooch myself, but sure who knows now anyway it's all turning in to a bit of a farce.

Does that friend have special needs?

Cheap vodka is 37% alcohol at most mixed with the soap much lower again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No. But being where I am, and living as I do, I am an outsider in this situation. And always well stocked and prepared for long periods without access to supplies

And it is easier for folk to express their fears and feelings here on boards, and to do so safely with no repercussions and no effect on their lives, and a needful safety valve? And without sounding silly or fearful.

And hoping folk are stocking up as this is the one thing we can all do safely and sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lololololololololol

I have a copy of a little red book you may be interested in full of fairytales too.

China tried to cover this up. They tried to punish the deceased whistleblower doctor in December by making him confess in writing to being a fear monger so they could prosecute and have been putting out their random narrative creating bingo numbers that no one believes.

Good job! Heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was in the Chinese store on Henry Street, Limerick at 4:30 pm. Was the only customer.

I wonder are people reluctant to go to these stores or was just a quiet few minutes?

The Asian food place I go to lunch sometimes has been a ghost town all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement

Right call to make. We may not avoid it ultimately, but if we sort of take turns at getting sick it may relieve the pressure in the system. There’s some logic in that, I think :D

Ok you first take the day of tomorrow and hand out sweets to all those people arriving on flights from Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Amirani wrote: »
    No it wouldn't.

There are trains, boats, buses, cars, walkers crossing from Italy into other European countries pretty much every second of the day. Stopping flights wouldn't make much difference to containment.

Also - what do you do for the Irish citizens in Italy whose flights you've just banned? Leave them hanging around in Italy for an undefined period of time - because of a measure that probably wouldn't even be successful?

Most people travel by plane, that cuts the risk down... slows covid... and yes leave Irish people in Italy or the Irish government hire a private jet and put them in quarantine ... take extreme measures early is the easiest solution

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Who wants to sell their tickets to Tenerife to me in the cheap?

Bet you would be too chicken to really go if you got them for nothing.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yes, but I feel better today, cos I'm not constantly checking bbc, and other news sites.

Reporting on every single new case and the bs on social media doesn't help either.

Also stopped watching John Campbell, he has the facts and figures but he projects the absolute worse scenario - too much.

Imagine if RTE/BBC reported on every single car crash...would give you an unrealistic sense of danger.

I'm sorry you mustn't be watching the same John Campbell as me so. He's about as level headed as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cases reported in Pakistan, Macedonia and Finland
    All had links to Italy or Iran

There is now more cases occurring outside China than within

A 2nd in Pakistan now apparently and 17 more cases just now in Italy which brings total to over 400 there. Big jump in Italy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Asian food place I go to lunch sometimes has been a ghost town all week.

Would it normally be busy? Good ole Daily Mail probably contribute to the fall in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

If Europe had just stopped flights from Italy a week ago containment would have been so much easier... seems so obvious.....

Simplicity is too complicated in this modern neuroticism.

Its finances first then human health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

wadacrack wrote: »

Scary. I have a friend travelling through germany to Canada. Wondr if he should go through another airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does that friend have special needs?

Cheap vodka is 37% alcohol at most mixed with the soap much lower again.:D

Now, now!

I gave my opinions earlier in the thread. I think what friend meant is ....

Get the empty reusable hand gel bottle.

Fill it 20% with liquid soap, top up with 80% of alcohol. Shake well. 100% hand sanitizer. Voila!

Jayzis I was only passing on a borderline hypochondriacs version.

The important thing is that alcohol is the key for killing viruses, not anti bac gels. The hospitals are full of the alcohol gels.

I'm no expert, and would prefer to imbibe the vodka orally myself, but there ya go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement