Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I think an important distinction should be made between the Chinese regime and the Chinese people especially the medicial staff. The regime attempted to bury the story for weeks until the death toll was too high and they couldn't hold back social media reporting (thankfully) and have more than likely lied about the death toll ever since. The Chinese people and the medical staff in particular are heros who have put their lives on the line to save their country and that's not a massive exaggeration.

Personally i think when all this is said and done there will be a massive price to pay for the Chinese regime never mind from the international community but from within their own population.

I agree. People need to distinguish between a population and the authority that rule them.

Very much like the Russian citizens during Chernobyl.

Seems to be that when crisis happens in these countries, the people within those countries band together to do what needs to be done for their own good (and by extension for the good of countries around them). From what is being reported from people who have been there first hand, the people in China are indeed heroes and any credible accounts we have heard is a population doing its best to stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

josip wrote: »
    5,000 won't come.
    Many of them will be able to cancel accommodation bookings with a full refund.
    Travel insurance will cover a lot of those booked via packages.
    I'd be surprised if more than 1500 make it here.
    Which will be a lot better than 5000 from that region coming here.

Travel insurance doesn't usually (in fact almost never) covers change of mind or choice, no matter how strong the advice against travelling. Most policies would only pay out if there was a travel ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Of course! The people are great, it's the regime that's not

Why do people feel the need to qualify having a go at a horrible dictatorship?

Do you think it some kind of insult to ordinary Chinese who have to suffer under these bastards?

If somebody from New Zealand for example said that FFG were the most useless bunch of self interested ******* around would we as Irish people find that insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

President Trump will be speaking tonight on the issue of the coronavirus. His administration has put together a $2.5 billion supplemental funding plan to speed the development of a vaccine, procure equipment and supplies, and provide for preparedness and response. Democrats are asking for $8.5 billion. Here’s a question… If the US comes up with a vaccine for the coronavirus in short order after spending many billions of dollars, will the rest of the world expect the US to just give it and the supplies away for free?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

Travel insurance doesn't usually (in fact almost never) covers change of mind or choice, no matter how strong the advice against travelling. Most policies would only pay out if there was a travel ban.

Anyone who has booked a match package, for a match that is subsequently cancelled, will be compensated if they have insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe this has been addressed but what will happen about Saint Patrick's Day? And the tourist season if we get an outbreak here?

I'd say very very slim chance of it going ahead. Tourist season all around the world is going to be in freefall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is this true? Coz it goes against everything said in the last few days.

Yes. It just got seriously ****ed up this afternoon. I am ****ing furious that the game is cancelled. Political. Correctness. Gone. Mad. Taking high profile action, and hitting innocent rugby supporters, just to be seen to be doing something. We are still going to have 5000 Italian fans in Dublin, cramming into the pubs and restaurants, shops, and Guiness Storehouse. So thats all fine and dandy. But letting them into the open air stadium of Lansdowne Road is a health risk too far.
    Depressed is not the work. ****ing. ****ing Furious !

Get over it it's bloody rugby match for christ sake.

darjeeling wrote: »
    I'd actually be reasonably optimistic.

Much of what they are doing in China to achieve success seems to be tracking down contacts of cases and quarantining them.
    Also introducing larger lockdowns where clusters pop up.
    Singapore has also kept cases to a minimum through good contact tracing, and that in a densely packed city of 5M.
    I hope we do the same kind of things here as and when we need to.

We should also be able to run a basic public info campaign about what symptoms to look out for, who to call when you need to raise the alarm, and the importance of good hand hygiene.

It's those kind of efforts that ended the West African ebola epidemic, and there they were dealing with countries emerging from civil wars and with practically no health services.
    Incidentally, the same Bruce Aylward directed the WHO response that helped end that epidemic.

And at the heart of his message yesterday was for countries to Talk to your population - "Folks we have to be ready to do this tomorrow"

Our authorities really couldnt do much less talking to our population if they tried . . Its pretty much "we are waiting to see what the EU thinks we should do". . And its leaving our public to fill in the gaps. Awful awful mismanagement as far as I am concerned and inexcusable.

Gonna put this superb link up again for anybody who hasnt seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't get why Ireland doesn't stop the travel of people right now. Its so stupid. It will cost the economy mush more when it comes here and we have to put people in isolation and stop them working.

It will ease off in summer.

UV light is great at killing bacteria ...plus warmer weather. Its only two months to go...stop travel until the mid summer ....the parties are having a circle jerk about who will be in power.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    It will play to Manchester City advantage.

Emptyhad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't get why Ireland doesn't stop the travel of people right now. Its so stupid. It will cost the economy mush more when it comes here and we have to put people in isolation and stop them working.

Stop all travel to every country including the UK (NI) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I get what you're saying. Agree with above about China and I've been calling everything the CCP does bull**** relentlessly.

But let's assume the best case scenario, and the numbers are correct.

WHO’s Aylward who was in Wuhan said the strategy which included
    - complete lockdown and travel ban
    - building new hospitals and making thousands more beds available
    - banning driving
    - importing literally thousands of medics from less affected areas

stopped it on its exponential trajectory and saved hundreds of thousands of people getting infected.

How are health systems expected to cope with the numbers without us doing complete travel bans and lockdowns. Spain is Italy from 3 days ago. And Italy is South Korea a couple days before that. And South Korea are about to realise they need to lock-down despite resistance.

But this acceptance of facts from the expert who knows more than anyone is considered panic, doom and gloom in and of itself.

He literally says:

So should we change mindset or brag about how not concerned we are?

I agree minds need to adapt to this. At least the cancelled rugby match has brought this crisis home to us now through personal inconvenience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

UK will be rolling out a public information campaign soon. Im hoping we follow on quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

notobtuse wrote: »
    President Trump will be speaking tonight on the issue of the coronavirus. His administration has put together a $2.5 billion supplemental funding plan to speed the development of a vaccine, procure equipment and supplies, and provide for preparedness and response. Democrats are asking for $8.5 billion. Here’s a question… If the US comes up with a vaccine for the coronavirus in short order after spending many billions of dollars, will the rest of the world expect the US to just give it and the supplies away for free?

Didn't he gutted the Center of Disease Control?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yes because everyone’s economy is linked

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Yes because everyone’s economy is linked

No, we'll pay in some way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

China: pulls out all the stops to stop the spread of the virus.

USA: How can we make this about us, and make a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

YFlyer wrote: »
    It will play to Manchester City advantage.

Starting to think Pep is behind the Coronavirus
    Will be gone as soon as ban is lifted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Thank you!

I think the thing which has surprised me most is that nobody has told me I'm mental for not going. It does help to know I'm not overreacting :D

Definelty not over reacting. You wouldnt want to risk 2 weeks locked up in a hotel or even worse being quite sick away from home

Sorry this happened for you i would chance the gp cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    UK will be rolling out a public information campaign soon. Im hoping we follow on quickly.

What exactly do you need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

"Everything is under control", just a few people have a bit of a sweat, but like they're all grand...

TiZ2UjL.png

kippy wrote: »
    What exactly do you need to know?

Number of loaves of bread to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Get over it it's bloody rugby match for christ sake.

T. R. O. L.

Still amazes me that people don't see what's right in front of their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd say very very slim chance of it going ahead. Tourist season all around the world is going to be in freefall.

That is what I was thinking
    Having been closely involved in tourism for many years here, that is going to break many people financially. A terrible thought.

Hoping this can be averted.

China: pulls out all the stops to stop the spread of the virus.

USA: How can we make this about us, and make a profit?

That's actually a really accurate summary....

NSFW to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Wow what a punishment for breaking the self isolation requirement

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232721805166759937

lawred2 wrote: »
    T. R. O. L.

Still amazes me that people don't see what's right in front of their eyes.

Yep, they're not even subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It will ease off in summer.

UV light is great at killing bacteria ...plus warmer weather. Its only two months to go...stop travel until the mid summer ....the parties are having a circle jerk about who will be in power.

It not bacteria, it's a virus. The economic impact of a travel ban would be devastating for a country like Ireland. The health effects could even be worse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement