Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

San-Fran isn't taking any chances, although it has no confirmed cases yet, it has just announced a state of emergency.
    The Mayor said it's better to act now, rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wonder what happens with all the AirBnB bookings and quarantine. Easy enough to keep people holed up in self contained complexes like hotels.

Anyway, we have to make our own decisions, based on travel advice and our own gut instincts.

We are going to Southern Spain soon, and if we are told not to travel we won't, but otherwise off we go. Just as much chance of contracting it here AFAIS. The airports are another thing though I suppose, but on we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

San-Fran isn't taking any chances, although it has no confirmed cases yet, it has just announced a state of emergency.
    The Mayor said it's better to act now, rather than later.

I could be wrong, but announcing a State of Emergency funnels lots of funds to the area to be prepared like. No need to have any cases yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

laurah591 wrote: »
    Wow what a punishment for breaking the self isolation requirement

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232721805166759937

...but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Children suffering in hospital in Iran :

https://twitter.com/i/status/1231342273134243841

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We could start by reassuring anyone who doesn't get paid sick leave that the state will cover the cost of any absense from the workplace due to illness or forced isolation. That would help to a degree and take a lot of the worry out of an already tense situation.

Also we need to get real and get Gardai/army to be ready for events like looting etc.. during a shutdown as they will happen due to a high scumbag element within the state and we should get on top of it now with a zero tolerance approach being approved by the government and a campaign of PR to drive that message home.

lawred2 wrote: »
    T. R. O. L.

Still amazes me that people don't see what's right in front of their eyes.

This isn't the rugby forum. If you have a problem with my opinion i welcome different opinions but please don't be calling me a troll because you don't agree.

I could be wrong, but announcing a State of Emergency funnels lots of funds to the area to be prepared like. No need to have any cases yet.
    Agree, mobilises city resources, and likely assures funding (state and fed).

TBH surprised somewhere very high density like Ldn hasn't done this.

Exactly what a SoE {pre-pandemic} entails, might be tricky to define exactly
    e.g. non essential travel banned, curfews etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This isn't the rugby forum. If you have a problem with my opinion i welcome different opinions but please don't be calling me a troll because you don't agree.
    They 100% were not calling you a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

We could start by reassuring anyone who doesn't get paid sick leave that the state will cover the cost of any absense from the workplace due to illness or forced isolation. That would help to a degree and take a lot of the worry out of an already tense situation.

Also we need to get real and get Gardai/army to be ready for events like looting etc.. during a shutdown as they will happen due to a high scumbag element within the state and we should get on top of it now with a zero tolerance approach being approved by the government and a campaign of PR to drive that message home.

Yes government will cover all sick leave and looters will be shot in the head.

Can't figure out which is actually less likely.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

dublin99 wrote: »

Before now I wasnt aware of any kids being affected or at least it wasnt being publically announced.

Old and infirm passing as a result of a complication due to a virus is not as alarming as young healthy children being killed by a virus

Poor kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

China: pulls out all the stops to stop the spread of the virus.

USA: How can we make this about us, and make a profit?
    Shouldn't the US at a minimum be allowed to recover their costs to develop the vaccine and supplies?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Yep, they're not even subtle.

Another one who doesn't like discussion.

They 100% were not calling you a troll

It's right there in their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Before now I wasnt aware of any kids being affected or at least it wasnt being publically announced.

Old and infirm passing as a result of a complication due to a virus is not as alarming as young healthy children being killed by a virus

Poor kids :(

Poor kids is right.
    But didn't that video do the rounds last year in connection with a chemical attack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

notobtuse wrote: »
    President Trump will be speaking tonight on the issue of the coronavirus. His administration has put together a $2.5 billion supplemental funding plan to speed the development of a vaccine, procure equipment and supplies, and provide for preparedness and response. Democrats are asking for $8.5 billion. Here’s a question… If the US comes up with a vaccine for the coronavirus in short order after spending many billions of dollars, will the rest of the world expect the US to just give it and the supplies away for free?

No idea but I can't wait for the bloody antivaxxers

Lot of fake stuff doing the rounds on Twitter even from journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's right there in their post.

That's the user you were replying to initials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

18 cases in France now, same as Germany
    Worrying that they can't find a possible link for the French victim, and that number of tests there is still low.

This website show the progress of cases in Italy.
    16 cases on 21 Feb which jumped to 79 cases the next day.

https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

ZX7R wrote: »
    Poor kids is right.
    But didn't that video do the rounds last year in connection with a chemical attack

Genuine question is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes government will cover all sick leave and looters will be shot in the head.

Can't figure out which is actually less likely.:D

Illness benefit is there already and there should be no need to shoot to the head, over the head first then low should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

otnomart wrote: »
    18 cases in France now, same as Germany
    Worrying that they can't find a possible link for the French victim, and that number of tests there is still low.

This website show the progress of cases in Italy.
    16 cases on 21 Feb which jumped to 79 cases the next day.

https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

It can take from two days to two weeks for symptoms to appear after infection. So, based on that trajectory, there's going to be an awful lot of infected people in Italy in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah been out for a while.

There have been no recorded fatalities for any child under 9.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Illness benefit is there already and there should be no need to shoot to the head, over the head first then low should do it.

The shooting bit was a joke forgot about Illness benefit I have never claimed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

cgmg2SX.png

sweetie wrote: »
    No idea but I can't wait for the bloody antivaxxers
    Might want to wait for v2.0 batch. The FDA has just said the three-month estimate for coronavirus vaccine to enter human trials may be too aggressive.

Usually they do paperwork, lab studies, then animal trials before even going near humans. Don't think a vax has ever been made anywhere with a year before. This would likely be the quickest (rushed) and perhaps even, the largest ever vax programme for immeditate global roll out, if it goes pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Genuine question is that true?

Sadly not my first time to see it,
    Last time I saw it was in relation to a chemical attack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Might want to wait for v2.0 batch. The FDA has just said the three-month estimate for coronavirus vaccine to enter human trials may be too aggressive.

Usually they do paperwork, lab studies, then animal trials before even going near humans. Don't think a vax has ever been made anywhere with a year before. This would likely be the quickest (rushed) and perhaps even, the largest ever vax programme for immeditate global roll out, if it goes pandemic.

I'm not anti vax in the slightest, but I would be wary of a rushed vaccine.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sadly not my first time to see it,
    Last time I saw it was in relation to a chemical attack

That is pure filthy scum using the suffering of a child to try and smear their enemies.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So there is no help at the hospital? Sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement