Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Get over it it's bloody rugby match for christ sake.

Its the nonsense of losing their reason and wanting to do something, whether its stupid or not.
    How many people fly to Ireland from Italy every day ? Several thousand. Probably a couple of thousand from Lombardia and Veneto alone. Overall, maybe 30,000 people between here and the game. But that fine. Sure. Come right in. No problem. But, oh, scusate Signore - coming for the rugby ? Stay away you virus ridden person. Back to Milan with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Another one who doesn't like discussion.

I recall you telling me to stop mentioning flu yesterday because you had deemed it not relevant so it's funny you're having a go at me for not liking discussion.

My post wasn't even aimed at you. The poster you were responding to is a blatant troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Its the nonsense of losing their reason and wanting to do something, whether its stupid or not.
    How many people fly to Ireland from Italy every day ? Several thousand. Probably a couple of thousand from Lombardia and Veneto alone. Overall, maybe 30,000 people between here and the game. But that fine. Sure. Come right in. No problem. But, oh, scusate Signore - coming for the rugby ? Stay away you virus ridden person. Back to Milan with you.

That is true but it's as much to do with 50,000 people in close proximity shouting and cheering. Lots of droplets flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Heres a question is the virus less deadly as its passed along ?
    I read in China it has a 2% death rate everyone else its 1% so far ,
    Sar's had a 10% death rate but not as easily spread ,

No. Sharks have been around for 450 million years and that hasn't stopped White Pointers eating people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Well those Italians are a dirty lot.

There is this Italian plumber and his brother I never seen them once wash their hands or take a shower and they run and jump all over the place.

• Advertisement

That is pure filthy scum using the suffering of a child to try and smear their enemies.:(

A lot of the stuff coming out of Iran seems to have a political undercurrent.

I'd be treating their claims with even more scepticism than China.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It can take from two days to two weeks for symptoms to appear after infection. So, based on that trajectory, there's going to be an awful lot of infected people in Italy in two weeks time.

Not just Italy but given the rate of cases that have appeared in Italy since the weekend and given it can take up to two weeks to show, you'd wonder how many people passed through Italy within the last two weeks completely unaware of the risks in Italy. The likely hood we have a confirmed case here is very high I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have a question for you guys. I was administered with the Influenza & pneumonia vaccine last October. I have not been to any of the affected countries that have been infected with Coronavirus since the virus started in them. I do have an underlying illness like acid reflux & piles for a few years but otherwise; I'm reasonably healthy. What are the chances of people like myself & others who were vaccinated for flu & pneumonia before the winter season having a risk of Coronavirus in Ireland in future?

TIA!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Shouldn't the US at a minimum be allowed to recover their costs to develop the vaccine and supplies?

They should focus on banding together with other countries to come up with a solution, but as usual they're more interested in trying to be the hero and making a profit.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not just Italy but given the rate of cases that have appeared in Italy since the weekend and given it can take up to two weeks to show, you'd wonder how many people passed through Italy within the last two weeks completely unaware of the risks in Italy. The likely hood we have a confirmed case here is very high I'd think.

Agreed. It's very probable that, today, there are infected people walking around Ireland without symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Ludo wrote: »
    Is this true? Coz it goes against everything said in the last few days.

It would depend in individual arrangements, policy details and perhaps goodwill.

I know someone who was due to go on a trip to China when the SARS outbreak occurred.

People who dealt directly with the travel company were not compensated when they heeded the department of foreign affairs advice and didn't travel.

Others in the same group who dealt with the same travel company indirectly via a national organisation were initially refused refunds but with some pressure from the organisation, goodwill and the possible effect on significant future business, relented and refunded people who didn't travel but only those who had gone through the national organisation.

Individuals even though they were members of the same national organisation and in some cases even members of the same local group, did not get any refund.

It's very much a case of read the fine print and how much leverage you have.

I have a question for you guys. I was administered with the Influenza & pneumonia vaccine last October. I have not been to any of the affected countries that have been infected with Coronavirus since the virus started in them. I do have an underlying illness like acid reflux & piles for a few years but otherwise; I'm reasonably healthy. What are the chances of people like myself & others who were vaccinated for flu & pneumonia before the winter season having a risk of Coronavirus in Ireland in future?

TIA!

You have the same risk as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    San-Fran isn't taking any chances, although it has no confirmed cases yet, it has just announced a state of emergency.
    The Mayor said it's better to act now, rather than later.

It was actually announced yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

People need to remember that the virus is here, so most of the efforts will be to slow it's spread not stop it.
    It's 2 week incubation period makes total isolation impossible unfortunately. By the time you "close the borders" it's probably been in days or weeks already. Until the first serious cases present it's not going to be caught.
    Seems it was in china a month before we started seeing much sign of it, not including the cover up theory or anything.
    Assume it's here, act accordingly in whatever manner you personally deem appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

That is pure filthy scum using the suffering of a child to try and smear their enemies.:(

I agree Cinemaguy.

This is a very dangerous Global health emergency and should be above politics.

Using it to take a cheap shot at whatever regime you detest is beneath contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TIA!

Yes as said having a vaccine for one virus is of no use to protect against another.
    I don't believe the conditions you have would put you at extra risk.

You're in the exact same position as the majority of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

One word of advice! Don't buy this dip!!

Agreed. It's very probable that, today, there are infected people walking around Ireland without symptoms.

And unlike some others here who continually say who ****e and broken our health service is it will not crumble like people seem to think or hope it will. Sorry prof didn't mean to go off on a tangent just needed to say that.

Yes not just Ireland so over the next two weeks we may see an explosion of people infected with it. I could easily see the st Patrick's day parades being cancelled and Easter mass celebrations being in doubt depending on how this thing goes.

Is the Ireland vs Italy game the only one officially postponed as of now ? I'd be surprised if it's the only one and I'd say the pro14 will be in a bit of a state.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    One word of advice! Don't buy this dip!!

What dip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is the Ireland vs Italy game the only one officially postponed as of now ? I'd be surprised if it's the only one and I'd say the pro14 will be in a bit of a state.

Ulster v Benetton was called off.

Juventus game in Italy being played behind closed doors.

Correction- Inter Milan Europa League v Ludogorets will be behind closed doors

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I recall you telling me to stop mentioning flu yesterday because you had deemed it not relevant so it's funny you're having a go at me for not liking discussion.

My post wasn't even aimed at you. The poster you were responding to is a blatant troll.

Fair enough. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sweden reporting it's second case of coronavirus. Man in 30's, visited Italy recently.

Switzerland also has probably 2nd case there.

Yeah, not sure I'd like to be a forward in a match against Zebre just right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ulster v Benetton was called off.

Juventus game in Italy being played behind closed doors.

Is that not the Lyons-Turin match, in France? I heard it was going ahead as normal (ie open to fans on both sides) despite concerns in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ZX7R wrote: »
    Poor kids is right.
    But didn't that video do the rounds last year in connection with a chemical attack

I honestly can't get my head around the number of people posting on this site who look at something on twitter and without a moments hesistation accept it as fact. Videos can be from literally anywhere, and anytime. Twitter will make you more stupid and if you're the type of person who's inclined to spend a lot of time on it you likely haven't got many brain cells to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Did you listen to Bruce Leywards interview?
    Sobering stuff.

He said the mortality rate outside China will be higher..

Higher in actual numbers worldwide or higher % wise in each country? :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

volchitsa wrote: »
    Is that not the Lyons-Turin match, in France? I heard it was going ahead as normal (ie open to fans on both sides) despite concerns in France.

No the league game at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

First case diagnosed in Castlebar hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No the league game at the weekend

vs Glasgow? Going ahead afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement