Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From the Guardian
    more has emerged about the first victim to succumb to the virus in Greece.

The 38-year-old, while not publicly named, has been identified as a well-known designer who had travelled to northern Italy to attend Milan’s fashion week. She returned to Thessaloniki, Greece’s northern capital, on a Ryanair flight on Sunday and admitted herself to hospital after beginning to feel unwell on Tuesday.

The designer, who has also run for public office, is reported to have travelled to Milan with a group of journalists and several town hall councillors. So far, 15 people – including members of her family – have been quarantined for two weeks. But an inquiry is under way as to how many people she has been in contact with.

A friend who flew with her on what he described as a “packed plane” told Live News the woman “seemed fine, we didn’t understand that anything [was wrong] with her”.

Greece has assigned 13 state-run hospitals to admit Covid-19 patients. The health minister Vassilis Kikilias, who has rescinded leave for medical workers and doctors across the board, is expected to travel to Thessaloniki tomorrow.

Only 38

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/26/coronavirus-latest-updates-who-mission-director-warns-world-is-simply-not-ready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If the Chinese develop a vaccine I can see them getting it out very quickly

Some Chinese crackpot is probably saying ground up tiger mickey cures it and the Chinese will buy it leading to further poaching of tigers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

amascid wrote: »
    I really hope we have well thought out contingency plans for a pandemic. Not a hope of us building a hospital in a week..

Well I can only hope China had their own reasons for that. A global pandemic has been feared for decades and the health authorities in all developed countries plan and even rehearse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fr336 wrote: »
    Well I can only hope China had their own reasons for that. A global pandemic has been feared for decades and the health authorities in all developed countries plan and even rehearse for it.

I think it was something they came up with post-SARS in their disaster planning.
    It's not a real hospital in the sense of what we imagine a hospital to be... it's more like a military field hospital facility.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Beasty wrote: »
    How do you know? Are you using your underpants as a face mask?

That's disgusting, this is how you do it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

amascid wrote: »
    I really hope we have well thought out contingency plans for a pandemic. Not a hope of us building a hospital in a week..

Jesus I though I could be naive.

Regardless of condition once you go into one of those places you're not coming out again.

Gearing up for the inevitable cases one would assume are coming at some point in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MadYaker wrote: »
    I honestly can't get my head around the number of people posting on this site who look at something on twitter and without a moments hesistation accept it as fact. Videos can be from literally anywhere, and anytime. Twitter will make you more stupid and if you're the type of person who's inclined to spend a lot of time on it you likely haven't got many brain cells to spare.

That's why I don't even have a Twitter account.

• Advertisement

For comparison, the NHS guidelines are much stricter.

IF you have been to "to Hubei, Iran, areas of northern Italy in lockdown or "special care zone" areas in South Korea since 19 February" AND
    Even if you do NOT have symptoms:
    THEN Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I know how worried people are but it's just inevitable there will be cases in every country. The key is whether we have one or two cases here and there across countries as we have with the flu, clusters as in Italy shutting places down, or full blown pandemic across 2020. I still can't bring myself to think the reality will be the last one but getting anxious when the first case/s is confirmed in Ireland is unnecessary.

The expert on the RTE News this evening said it was pretty much a bad winter flu and it will be around for six to 12 months.

I think 'pandemic' is overstating the case....it's still just a strain of flu, even if quite a contagious one (millions of people worldwide have the flu in any given week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

By "succumb" do they mean experience coronavirus or die from it?

Strazdas wrote: »
    The expert on the RTE News this evening said it was pretty much a bad winter flu and it will be around for six to 12 months.

I think 'pandemic' is overstating the case....it's still just a strain of flu, even if quite a contagious one (millions of people worldwide have the flu in any given week).

It's not a strain of the flu. Anyone who said that couldn't be a medical expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

But china doesn't lock down whole cities every year for the flu, does it? So either they know something different, or they're just playing a madbuzz practical joke on us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not they didn't say that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭bennyl10

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's not a strain of the flu. Anyone who said that couldn't be a medical expert.

Corona is the same type of virus as the common cold.
    The easiest thing to compare it to is the flu.

And for the vast majority it won’t even present as bad as a winter flu

Yeah sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

I don't think the girl in Greece died. Phew.

I don't think the girl in Greece died. Phew.

Yup. Infected only.

Although that’s a death sentence according to many here

Gynoid wrote: »
    By "succumb" do they mean experience coronavirus or die from it?

Succumb to something means death yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

odyssey06 wrote: »
    For comparison, the NHS guidelines are much stricter.

IF you have been to "to Hubei, Iran, areas of northern Italy in lockdown or "special care zone" areas in South Korea since 19 February" AND
    Even if you do NOT have symptoms:
    THEN Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

Not true.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

to other parts of northern Italy (anywhere north of Pisa, Florence and Rimini), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar since 19 February AND have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath

Mentions having symptoms. Have you a link to what you quoted or are you deliberately posting misinformation?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yup. Infected only.

Although that’s a death sentence according to many here

Not one person in here has said anything of the kind.

Think it's just very bad wording by The Guardian

Only in this instance its media hyperbole and means infected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Jesus. RTE should be shut down for allowing crap like that on air. A bad winter flu :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah sure it is.

Spraying gallons of disinfectant over abandoned streets strikes me as an idea from someone who is losing the ability to think rationally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Usually. But there is no mention if her dying. People above are saying not. It may be a click baity thing...don't know. Odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement