Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not quite ,your forgetting the moderate group get pneumonia but don't require a ventilator.

Can you expand on that? They get pneumonia but don't need hospital care? What kind of toll does that take on the patient?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

bennyl10 wrote: »

As this virus develops it will become less deadly also. As the virus, like it’s hosts, wants to survive.

Is this 100% Benny? I know it happens with some viruses but is it a recurring theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The Guardian RTE BBC CNN they have all proved themselves to be beyond useless.

Honestly if it wasn't for the likes of Twitter people would be buying into the whole its only the flu thing. Yes its not a perfect platform but at least you can get an overall view of world events.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

laurah591 wrote: »
    So if 81% are mild cases.... what sort of mild symptoms does one suffer when they contract phneomonia?

Not sure what you mean. Apparently 81% have a mild respiratory tract infection, like a cold. The other 19% have more severe symptoms ranging from a sore throat, fever, or flu-like symptoms to pneumonia - which require varying degrees of medical intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can you expand on that? They get pneumonia but don't need hospital care?

I didn't say they don't need hospital care ,I said they don't need to use a ventilator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When we talk about the coronavirus being highlighted in the M.E. when coming up to Easter. People there really need to think about cancelling Easter events to avoid possible spread of the virus. Today is Ash Wednesday which is the start of Lent. Events like these are already a big risk to take place in that region where the virus will spread rapidly.

This news just in from Reuters News agency via The Guardian.

The Norwegian Public health agency has said that 1 person has tested positive for Coronavirus. The person had arrived back from China & was asked to go home to self-isolate but wasn't initially ill with the virus & deemed unlikely to affect others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yes, that person has not died apparently.
    Very surprising for the Guardian to word something in that way.
    Dwindiling sales, their site looks fine, but feels like a charity begging site constantly looking for survival donations.

Can someone mark Croatia off the world viral map too, some cases (3) confirmed there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

A lot being the vast vast minority of people who get it?
    The common cold is a corona virus. This is a bad one, but it isn’t as bad the hyperbolic media are saying.

As this virus develops it will become less deadly also. As the virus, like it’s hosts, wants to survive.

It will make people sick, but only small numbers will succumb(look correct word use!)

Zzzzzzzzz.....

Is there any evidence e.g. Ebola has gotten less deadly?
    Why would we assume Coronavirus will get less deadly?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corona is the same type of virus as the common cold.
    The easiest thing to compare it to is the flu.

And for the vast majority it won’t even present as bad as a winter flu
    Do not troll the thread with such nonsense

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭bennyl10

fr336 wrote: »
    Is this 100% Benny? I know it happens with some viruses but is it a recurring theme?

It happens with almost all viruses and has happened with every corona we’ve seen.

It’s a living thing, it wants to live as much as we do and it’ll update itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Is there any evidence e.g. Ebola has gotten less deadly?
    Why would we assume Coronavirus will get less deadly?

Because.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could it be a bit oversold? Most people here that I know are not the slightest bit concerned.

But we probably need a steer from those who know better (LOL), honestly.

Jin luk wrote: »
    So say 50% of ireland eventually get the virus and around 19% get secondary complications that would mean around a half a million people here will then get these secondary complications?

In theory yes, although we really don't know what % of the population will get infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Honestly if it wasn't for the likes of Twitter people would be buying into the whole its only the flu thing. Yes its not a perfect platform but at least you can get an overall view of world events.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to trust social media over news media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amascid

Is there anything it can’t do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes, more proactive measures not just waiting for it to come. Look at what was done for Foot & Mouth!

Whole country was practically closed down for a few weeks, widespread cancellations of non essential travel & meetings. For sheep & cattle farmers, who when if out of pocket afterwards, got compensation. And the same lads who caused it feeding dodgy stuff to their stock and smuggling across the border.

Obviously humans are more dispensable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Heard st lukes kilkenny was locked down today due to somebody suspected of having the virus.

Think it might have been a false alarm as have heard nothing since.
    Same thing happened in waterford hospital 2 weeks ago.

amascid wrote: »
    Is there anything it can’t do..

On surfaces and your skin.

In you belly not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Dwindiling sales, their site looks fine, but feels like a charity begging site constantly looking for survival donations.

Can someone mark Croatia off the world viral map too, some cases (3) confirmed there today.

I would pay for it if they put up a pay wall... best source for news out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

In theory yes, although we really don't know what % of the population will get infected.

I feel 50% was being generous too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jin luk wrote: »
    So say 50% of ireland eventually get the virus and around 19% get secondary complications that would mean around a half a million people here will then get these secondary complications?
    Besides the fact that a 50% infection rate within a population would be astounding, the 450,000 would require medical treatment of some sort but not all would require hospitalisation or ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I have to say, I do like reading The Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don’t think it’s a good idea to trust social media over news media.

Also, social media attracts the conspiracy theory and 'end of the world' type in droves. To them, nearly everything is a cover up.

On the plus side, ($53) oil is trading at lowest since end of 2018.

You can fill up the Mustang cheaply before heading off into the apocalypse to stock up on tinned beans.

Would loosely forecast it to nearly half, within 6mths.

I think this source might have a slightly better reputation.

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-holds-diplomatic-ceremony-to-formally-welcome-cor-1841935942
    Trump Holds Diplomatic Ceremony To Formally Welcome Coronavirus To United States

Lol, suppose we all need some wild humour in these end of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The Guardian is the website the BBC wishes it was. News coverage is excellent. Of course the opinion pieces tend to be liberal claptrap but easily avoided alongside the proper journalism.

Lol, suppose we all need some wild humour in these end of days.

No surprises at the posters who thanked that post either.

I suppose it explains a lot.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Was there a thread this intense during the Ebola outbreak?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement