Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

Lock the country down for a couple of weeks. People are only concerned with the risk to me me me. Don't care about spreading to others who it'll likely kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

bennyl10 wrote: »
    In a serious way though, what is wrong with that?
    For most people, we have been told by Health groups, that this appears as a bad flu(with fever, tiredness and cough/could symptoms)

Yes some people will get it a lot worse. But for the majority of us.

To portray an illness in the way it will affect the majority, Seemingly, Is not a bad thing

Get off the stage it will be people like you screaming at people to stay away when this thing hits our country officially.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Careful now.

The last poster who went down this road about 90 minutes a go was taken behind the back of a shed by the mods and given a hiding he'll never forget.

He hasn't been heard from since.

Well the thread has had almost a quarter of a million views, was to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

darjeeling wrote: »
    In Wuhan they had a full blown epidemic before they knew this thing even existed.
    Everyone must just have thought it was flu, and treated it like you would until it became clear that it was something a lot worse.
    Elsewhere in China they got a couple of weeks notice and so were onto it much faster when it began to spread.
    It does now look from the case numbers that meant far fewer people got infected.

Which is why we have to shut down any ... its like the flu comparisons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Explanation of why its a Pandemic . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

pc7 wrote: »
    Bloody hell the Italian spreading of this is bonkers

Don’t Italians tend to kiss each other when they greet each other? It could have something to do with the speed at which it’s spreading.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d like to see Europe come together and say stop all non essential travel now to try contain the spread. Can’t see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Bloody hell the Italian spreading of this is bonkers

True. The Italians are really moving this around the rest of Europe. Is it the fashion thing I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
    Italy going mental, I wonder when it will at least start to level there ?
    Ita has just gone over 400, scioccante!

IypfYJa.png

Ita has just gone over 400, scioccante!

IypfYJa.png

Is that Micky Mouse on the right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It happens with almost all viruses and has happened with every corona we’ve seen.

It’s a living thing, it wants to live as much as we do and it’ll update itself

That’s not how it works, viruses don’t think or want, they just exist and replicate and if a mutation occurs that makes it kill 100% of its victims then that will burn itself out but the other strains of the virus will continue and some more mutations will cause slightly different symptoms and morbidities.

The reason pandemics tend to be short is because the people who are vulnerable to that infection get sick and either die, or gain some level of immunity

Viruses like the ‘common cold’ are endemic because they are very contagious while rarely ever killing their host, and also resistant to immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Drumpot wrote: »

Explanation of why its a Pandemic . .

Tell that to the WHO - who haven't had a press briefing since Friday?

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, I've been told by someone directly connected that one of the school kids in Bray is confirmed. Is in isolation now, apparently.

This was absolutely inevitable. Flights are still coming in from infected countries. Considering it can be days/weeks before symptoms even appear (if any), there's no reason the virus won't be widespread. I think the question is how much damage it will end up doing. That's the unknown for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

fritzelly wrote: »

Their last big press conference was announcing, with much ado and after long debate, that they had come up with the official name for it. So maybe they just havent been as productive since that big effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

saabsaab wrote: »
    True. The Italians are really moving this around the rest of Europe. Is it the fashion thing I wonder?

Fashion Week (with all the darlings hugging) is indeed looking like a Hot Spot for infection and distribution of virus around Europe - and when US Fashionistas go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

fritzelly wrote: »

In his opening statement he basically say WHO have lost all credibility.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The leadership in the USA is not just moronic anymore, but a health risk to us all.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1232770485206896644?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, I've been told by someone directly connected that one of the school kids in Bray is confirmed. Is in isolation now, apparently.

This was absolutely inevitable. Flights are still coming in from infected countries. Considering it can be days/weeks before symptoms even appear (if any), there's no reason the virus won't be widespread. I think the question is how much damage it will end up doing. That's the unknown for now.

Good luck, you're about to have the whole thread jump on you.

I don't trust the Irish Government or media they lie all the time but you have five posts so you are not to be trusted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, I've been told by someone directly connected that one of the school kids in Bray is confirmed.

I'd hope people who are reporting such cases particularly from heresay to be careful without a source because people can get worried in these localities and many will be reading the thread.

Just a thought.

Not the same as reporting a case somewhere in Asia.

But your post count leads me to be super sceptical anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I’d like to see Europe come together and say stop all non essential travel now to try contain the spread. Can’t see that happening.

Schengen trumps everything, there could be hordes of zombies spilling out from Italy and our glorious European leaders would insist we all go down with the ship rather than impose border controls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It won't for a long time. They don't have the capacity or regime to do what the Chinese have, neither do we.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can people from Bray read?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Don’t Italians tend to kiss each other when they greet each other? It could have something to do with the speed at which it’s spreading.

I heard somebody mention this, also in Iran men kiss each other as greeting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

What did Vietnam do, they seem to have controlled it really well

Can people from Bray read?

Yes but I don't think they have any internet.

Just received a text from TheAA who I have my annual travel insurance with

Hi Strawberry, with much concern at present about the Coronavirus outbreak, please see our FAQ here https://www.theaa.ie/blog/aa-travel-insurance-coronavirus-faq/ Please note, this situation is evolving, so we will update these details as frequently as possible. Thanks, The AA

Getting 503 errors so they must have sent text out enmasse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Big business won't let that happen. The narrative of it will do more damage than the virus is already being formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What part of Italy were they in specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Romania confirms first case, another in the Canary Islands (guess likely Tenerife)

Ireland surely has to have cases here - it's just incredulous that all those kids returning from infected areas plus other people and not one single case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement