Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL River walk

• 24-02-2020 8:59pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May want to bring your wellies.

Last week.
    xYuZeCp.jpg

Today
    Sz1AQpo.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hope it's cleared up before the weekend! Parkrun only just went ahead last Saturday. I'd say the owners of the huts up there are fairly worried.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hope it's cleared up before the weekend! Parkrun only just went ahead last Saturday. I'd say the owners of the huts up there are fairly worried.

I'm going to try to reach the huts from the other side tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm going to try to reach the huts from the other side tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get over there for a game of tennis in the morning too, depending on how this yellow snow/ice warning hits us. Should be a good opportunity for a bit of photography. Silver linings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That path can be divided into two sections, one of which is the Corbally side of the Guinness Bridge over the canal, and the other section being the UL side.

The Corbally side is completely impassable because of flooding at the bottom of Irish Estates - this flooding may well extend for most of that section, as it's all pretty low-lying, but I'm not sure about that.

The other side, the UL side, is now seeing short sections of the path submerged. In a couple of cases it's just an inch deep or so, but there is one place (just on the UL side of that curved resurfaced bridge) where it's now 3-4 inches deep and about 3 metres long, and not really walkable.

FxtNjOa.jpg

Risky lunchtime walk. Had to walk along the wall

8sRTh4l.jpg

Cottages down this way
    mNxWw4g.jpg

Braver lady than I, and her dog near the boat club.
    KwOB7rn.jpg

Black bridge
    Fi0VoeF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

Thanks MarkR, great photos.

I've been walking around there for years and I don't think I have ever seen it that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The last time it was this bad was in 2009. It was the flooding then that caused the black bridge to be closed in the first place.

Did anybody get pictures of the flooding on Plassey Park Road? Sounds like traffic was absolutely mental over there for the last few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did anybody get pictures of the flooding on Plassey Park Road? Sounds like traffic was absolutely mental over there for the last few hours.

Went through the flood at 8:20am, Pallas foods truck didn't make it, went too deep. Traffic was also driving around the wrong way because of it.

Then after work we left early because it was closed. Mental mental mental. Then there was a crash outside the UL exit. Mental again. Lol

One guy drove the wrong side of the road against traffic from the three building to the next exit by Hamilton house area and skiddded up on to the cycle lane as a car was coming out of the one way he tried to drive in illegally. What a dickhead.

What really makes traffic mental out there heading to work is honestly the school by Chawkes as it's drawing so much traffic from all routes.

As for the flooded roundabout, the council won't drain it because it's a private road apparently.

Roundabout remains closed in Plassey. Wow, you should have seen the traffic. With how busy the roundabout on the Dublin road by annacotty was you'd miss the road closed signs , trying to keep an eye on traffic, which caused myself and many to drive down before having to turn back.

It's only going to rain more as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Missus left cook medical at 4pm, got home 6.55 ! was pure bonkers Guards less than useless to try direct some traffic

Traffic was pretty bad alright but I think, correct me If I'm wrong, the entire road from CASA all the way to the roundabout by J&J is either IDA, Shannon Development Authority or somebody else, nothing to do with the Council so I imagine the Gardai would treat it the same.

I sat in traffic and was annoyed by how slow it was but had to keep reminding myself whilst I comfortably sat in a warm car with music playing that a road was closed and my house wasn't flooded like some others affected much worse by the flooding.

You've the patience of a saint Berty. :-)

UL sent out an email advising that they expect additional flooding of the river, but believe no building will be affected. It is also advising against going anywhere near the river walks.

My next report will be from the living bridge. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Limerick ParkRun isnt going ahead this weekend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My office window looks out towards the main road and I can see the traffic. It was bumper to bumper at 2:45pm, moving slowly now but not stopping. Guess those on Fridays finish early and others finished even earlier because they were allowed because of the delays.

Patience of a saint, people let me out in rush hour around here, I let other people out as well. I can honestly say it's the only stretch of road I've seen near consistency in politeness of letting people into traffic in front of you(I was on the road as a rep for about 15 years). Any other road I'm not the same. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You sure? I was always faster going up by the Kilmurray instead of going the other way, has that changed now?

Went for a walk over the bridge today.

https://imgur.com/a/YgA7pAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I got a good chuckle at the footpath closed sign.

MarkR wrote: »
    Went for a walk over the bridge today.

https://imgur.com/a/YgA7pAn

Great pictures. Beautiful scenes to look at, but a bit of a disaster for anyone who has to live near it.

• Advertisement

Really brings into focus the whole flood plain thing. Amazing difference in the volume of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Ecofact - Lower River Shannon, University of Limerick

Kevin Sage - Flooding on the River Shannon near UL boathouse

Advertisement