Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Doesn't matter where the car came from for vrt purposes

Why am I hearing things like it's cheaper import from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Why am I hearing things like it's cheaper import from the north?

same cost for VRT. Plus possible VAT and import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IBarrett

Know someone who bought a car in with English reg from dealer in the north, vrt refused to do it because of lack of documentation, on the second attempt refused again because they told him he has to contact customs and do a declaration himself regardless of the forms he has proving the car was imported into the north,
    Was told this could be anything up to 3500 Euro on top of VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

IBarrett wrote: »
    Know someone who bought a car in with English reg from dealer in the north, vrt refused to do it because of lack of documentation, on the second attempt refused again because they told him he has to contact customs and do a declaration himself regardless of the forms he has proving the car was imported into the north,
    Was told this could be anything up to 3500 Euro on top of VRT

Just after speaking to an agent at the VRT office who said they are not processing any UK reg vehicles that came into NI from GB post Breixt unless customs has been regularised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

funnyname wrote: »
    Just after speaking to an agent at the VRT office who said they are not processing any UK reg vehicles that came into NI from GB post Breixt unless customs has been regularised.

What do you mean by 'regularised'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

What do you mean by 'regularised'?

Essentially, paid the VAT and any duty or have Revenue confirm to the VRT people's satisfaction that there is nothing payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Is there any website where you can find the nox emissions value for a specific model car?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

The only applicable figure is that stated on the V5C. UK gov site doesn't state Nox and emmissionsfinder is woefully out of date: 125mg Nox quoted for 118d - V5C states 9mg!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi Folks. Is there a customs duty on goods that were made in france but now are now been sold to me by my supplier in the UK. thank you. jim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi Folks. Is there a customs duty on goods that were made in france but now are now been sold to me by my supplier in the UK. thank you. jim
    Yes. Mad as it seems, you can pay duty on Eu manufactured goods sold to another EU country (or even the same one) if the supply chain goes via the UK. This has been the case for huge amount of goods destined for Ireland, because of geography, (UK is on the way) and business efficiency, ROI being a convenient small subset of a larger same language market, so site the distribution in the UK. Then they f****d off out of the EU. It affects everything from detergent to BMWs. Even crazier if the goods are made under licence in the UK, no duty back to the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

I bought a car in Belfast back in late 2019 and brought it over to London. Looking to move home next month, would I be liable for tax and import duties on top of VRT? How can I tell where the car was first registered? It has NI reg plates so I'm assuming it was originally registered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭User1998

I bought a car in Belfast back in late 2019 and brought it over to London. Looking to move home next month, would I be liable for tax and import duties on top of VRT? How can I tell where the car was first registered? It has NI reg plates so I'm assuming it was originally registered there.
    You're not liable for anything, as you've been living abroad more than 6 months, and have the car more than 6 months before returning home. No vat, duty or VRT. For Vat exemption from non EU countries you must be living abroad more than 12 months. As UKVAT was instantaneous with Brexit. I'd imagine the 6 month to 12 month requirement was also.
    Unless... some revenue pillock says you've not yet lived in non EU UK for more than 12 months, as it only exists for 2.5.

See https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Lads quick question. When looking at vrt on the revenue site does it know if the car being imported is from mainland uk or the north? I'm on the lookout for some sort of twin turbo diesel.

Unless you want to be shafted do not try to import a diesel the nox tax is crazy .. pick a random car and put details on revenue vrt calculator ..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Luckylow10

The only applicable figure is that stated on the V5C. UK gov site doesn't state Nox and emmissionsfinder is woefully out of date: 125mg Nox quoted for 118d - V5C states 9mg!

You can try emailing the manufacturer for the info, or try the uk VCA website https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

It’ gave me my nox emissions for my t8 Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Howdy lads, not sure if anyone here can help me as this is all new to me.

My oul fella is selling his car in the mainland UK. He's been living there for 7 years, and is moving home in the next 12 months. He wants to buy a new car over there, have it for 6 months and then bring that car back to Ireland. I think he avoids VRT as a result, as he's been living over there for a number of years.

He's selling his current car and I want to buy it off him. BMW 420D Gran Coupe. What is the best way for us to go about this whilst minimising VRT and VAT for the both of us?

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Howdy lads, not sure if anyone here can help me as this is all new to me.

My oul fella is selling his car in the mainland UK. He's been living there for 7 years, and is moving home in the next 12 months. He wants to buy a new car over there, have it for 6 months and then bring that car back to Ireland. I think he avoids VRT as a result, as he's been living over there for a number of years.

He's selling his current car and I want to buy it off him. BMW 420D Gran Coupe. What is the best way for us to go about this whilst minimising VRT and VAT for the both of us?

Can he not import both into Ireland as a UK resident? So no vrt on either.

Can he not import both into Ireland as a UK resident? So no vrt on either.
    Don't think you can have 2....

He could import one for free and sell you the old car for a very good price, or maybe even ‘gift’ it to you to avoid a big VAT bill, if you do the latter, Revenue will want 6 months bank statements to prove it actually was a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TTS

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a reg to be updated on what I assume is some sort of database?

Imported from NI and got robbed for VRT yday and told legally I must have the plates on within 3 days yet no insurance company 'recognises' my reg to allow me to buy a friggin policy.

No 'help' contact numbers ring through, nothing online to tell me either. They're great at fleecing money of folk but can't provide a simple answer. I suppose I shouldn't expect much with a retard like Ryan at the helm.

• Advertisement

TTS wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a reg to be updated on what I assume is some sort of database?

Imported from NI and got robbed for VRT yday and told legally I must have the plates on within 3 days yet no insurance company 'recognises' my reg to allow me to buy a friggin policy.

No 'help' contact numbers ring through, nothing online to tell me either. They're great at fleecing money of folk but can't provide a simple answer. I suppose I shouldn't expect much with a retard like Ryan at the helm.
    Not sure how long it takes, couple of days maybe but insurance companies generally insurance the car on the old reg and give you 30 days to changeover.

Tax the car and wait a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Pretty sure I was told 24 hours when I last did it but it was there first thing next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I insured my car on the UK plate, then changed to new as soon as I got it. It wasn't on the database, I just input the details manually. This was with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deezell wrote: »
    Don't think you can have 2....

Yes you can provided you satisfy the requirements for each of them. I brought back two and had an 8 year history of having two cars. I recall someone else here who brought back 5. The father would need to keep both taxed and insured for the 6 months period as there has been some recent Tax Appeals cases on that point. IMO if he had a long term history of having 2 but using them in different seasons, full insurance might not be needed. The second car can be sold to or lent/hired to an Irish resident for 12 months post-importation so this is likely not a reasonable approach in any manner.

Cheers for replies, I am insured via Elephant at the minute but just amazed that these clowns enforce that the car must display it's plates within 3 days yet they haven't got the structure in place so as to have the car on a database immediately.

I'm from NI and so is the car but because I'm here longer I have to pay the robbery charge. You'd at least expect a smooth service given you're taking it up the posterior for the privilege! They've some neck pulling a grand off me out of a car that's only worth 6K never mind road tax/insurance being x3 what I paid in the north. Absolutely pathetic piss take of a country this is.

Just for anyone else in the same process BTW, you cannot get insurance from any ROI company unless the new reg is officially recorded and cannot get tax unless insurance is in place.

Rang the AA and all I got was 150e put on top of the online quote I'd received 2hrs earlier (guaranteed for 7 days) and practically begged at to go through him (be wanting his commission), feel like reporting the clown.

NCT office were a lot of help, 'Maybe the problem is with Northern Ireland sir' imbecile....

0lordy wrote: »
    I insured my car on the UK plate, then changed to new as soon as I got it. It wasn't on the database, I just input the details manually. This was with Aviva.

Can only do that for quote purposes, mine is going to be with them also, but via the AA.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Pretty sure I was told 24 hours when I last did it but it was there first thing next morning

No such luck for me, they weren't too long in accepting the VRT though surprise surprise

Cheers for replies, I am insured via Elephant at the minute but just amazed that these clowns enforce that the car must display it's plates within 3 days yet they haven't got the structure in place so as to have the car on a database immediately.

I'm from NI and so is the car but because I'm here longer I have to pay the robbery charge. You'd at least expect a smooth service given you're taking it up the posterior for the privilege! They've some neck pulling a grand off me out of a car that's only worth 6K never mind road tax/insurance being x3 what I paid in the north. Absolutely pathetic piss take of a country this is.

Just for anyone else in the same process BTW, you cannot get insurance from any ROI company unless the new reg is officially recorded and cannot get tax unless insurance is in place.

Rang the AA and all I got was 150e put on top of the online quote I'd received 2hrs earlier (guaranteed for 7 days) and practically begged at to go through him (be wanting his commission), feel like reporting the clown.

NCT office were a lot of help, 'Maybe the problem is with Northern Ireland sir' imbecile....

You can drive on your NI insurance until you get a ROI reg. It takes a working day for the new reg to be active on the data base.
    You can road tax it online using the last 6 digits of the VIN as the PIN no, and you dont need insurance to pay the tax.
    I presume you mean that you couldn't get an insurance quote online on the new ROI reg because it wasn't active on the same day you paid reg tax. Try the next day or enter it manually.
    ROI insurers will insure a car with a UK/NI reg for about 30 days, after which they expect you to have registered it with a ROI reg number.
    If you're moving down here with a NI car, there's very little to pay, provided you owned the car to a NI address for six months before moving. If you already lived here when you brought it down, you're ROI resident, so you'll pay the VRT tax charge.
    The delays and complications in registering imported cars has been caused mostly by Brexit, so the imbeciles are from your neck if the woods.
    It would be nice to pay little or no tax on cars here, or just the 20% as in NI, but we don't have the UK as a sugar daddy to pay our bills, we just cough it up ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

No, you don’t. You get absolutely rode silly by a gangster like government who are in bed with the car insurance industry, that’s before we even talk about the whole VRT/Revenue department.

You can defend it until you’re blue in the face buy buying a car in Ireland is nothing short of one of the biggest rip offs there is. A circus.
    A nordy slagging off the Free State? Probably just upset with Meghan!

Advertisement