Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

The V5 cert and revenue tables above are the only game in town. Exact match for car make model and variant, and model year (2016 on) for the Nox. For the VRT calculation, co2 at 106mg is an exact match for the garage figure. I note the garage quotes €3084 for VRT which is an underestimate by €177, but if they're prepared to do VRT work for you, grab their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭chabsey

deezell wrote: »
    The V5 cert and revenue tables above are the only game in town. Exact match for car make model and variant, and model year (2016 on) for the Nox. For the VRT calculation, co2 at 106mg is an exact match for the garage figure. I note the garage quotes €3084 for VRT which is an underestimate by €177, but if they're prepared to do VRT work for you, grab their price.

Thanks a million for the info, much better than the 4800+ the calc was giving me originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Didn't want to start a new thread for this...

Bought a car in the UK on Sunday (the 19th) and drove it home. Booked the VRT inspection for Thursday afternoon. I arrived, had the car looked at but yer one said the system had gone down and she couldn't get the amount I needed to pay. She gave me back the v5, took my number and told me she'd call me. She suggested it'd hopefully be that day. I didn't hear anything so tried to call the booking number on friday, it alternated between ringing out and having a weird engaged tone. Same story again today. Just tried again there and there's an automated message giving covid-19 related hours so it's the right number.

Three questions, 1. wtf am I to do about registering the car? 2. Am I right in saying once it's registered before 30 days I'm not liable for extra charges anyway? 3. I have my insurance transfered but the car has no UK tax, is this an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

1. Sometimes it takes a few days for Revenue to give you a price for the VRT but this sounds different because they gave the v5 back. Was it both pages or just the second page? Maybe just go to the vrt centre and ask them whats up if you live nearby, I found the VRT helpline people fairly useless when I had an issue.

2. Yes, but if 30 days passes and you have to pay late fees you can put in an appeal and get your money back because it wasn’t your fault.

3. No its not an issue, UK tax is irrelevant here

Don't worry about late registration due to covid19 delays, but keep an eye on insurance, some only cover UK reg for 21-28 days.

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    1. Sometimes it takes a few days for Revenue to give you a price for the VRT but this sounds different because they gave the v5 back. Was it both pages or just the second page?

She gave me the first page of the V5 along with the VRTVPD2 form stapled together and told me that's all I needed to bring back with me. I asked her could she not hang on to them and I'd pay over the phone but she said they couldn't take responsibility for them. The centre is about 20 mins away, under ordinary circumstances i'd have no problem running down but not at the minute.

Yeah I’m not sure about that then, they always give back the second page and keep the first page with the car details so its weird that they gave it back.

Got through to them about 5 mins after my last post. They rang the centre and told me I could go down before half 5 and they were able to give me the amount due. Went in and got sorted. Pain in the hoop that they didn't ring

Got through to them about 5 mins after my last post. They rang the centre and told me I could go down before half 5 and they were able to give me the amount due. Went in and got sorted. Pain in the hoop that they didn't ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Looking at importing a Peugeot Expert, I’ve emailed Peugeot UK for the NOX rating and they’ve only come back with a Co2 rating, I’m going to email them again to get the nox rating I assume Peugeot Uk have the nox rating? Short of Peugeot Uk not having the nox rating is there a way to get the nox rating from the co2?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I Was VB wrote: »
    Looking at importing a Peugeot Expert, I’ve emailed Peugeot UK for the NOX rating and they’ve only come back with a Co2 rating, I’m going to email them again to get the nox rating I assume Peugeot Uk have the nox rating? Short of Peugeot Uk not having the nox rating is there a way to get the nox rating from the co2?

Cheers.

The V5 cert and revenue tables above are the only game in town....

There are places you can get a NOx but the only correct sources of truth are the places in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's a commercial then Nox charges don't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

bazz26 wrote: »
    If it's a commercial then Nox charges don't apply.

It’s a passenger, just looking at the landed costs before I get stuck with a bus that will cost more to vrt and clear than a comparative Irish car.

Thanks for the help lads.

I Was VB wrote: »
    It’s a passenger, just looking at the landed costs before I get stuck with a bus that will cost more to vrt and clear than a comparative Irish car.

Thanks for the help lads.

181 Nox for the newer, 207 for the 2014 model. Thats €3325 and €3975. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Hope someone can give me advice.

Bought car from NI. collected today..what are the steps in order I need to do to get it registered in my name and start paying Irish tax on it... slightly bemused with whole process and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks

Do I need to send anything into the DVLA in swansea?

epopnomis wrote: »
    Do I need to send anything into the DVLA in swansea?

Here's hoping you at least checked in advance what the taxes would be. While NI garages have been well clued up on VRT rate for any car they sell, the Nox charge is not always that easy to ascertain. But first things first. Send Nothing to the DVLA. If you have the car and it's V5 cert, you're halfway there.

1. Book a VRT inspection through the NCTS website for within 30 day of bringing the car south. Make this booking within 7 days of bringing car in. https://www.ncts.ie/1159

2. Download from NCTS/ revenue site the VRTVPD2 form and fill it out. http://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

3. Turn up for appointment, with this list of documents;

VRT Checklist of Documents

Vehicle Identity Documentation. ( Full V5)

VRT Vehicle Purchase Declaration Form. (VRTVPD2)

Purchase Invoice.

Proof of Address. (Utilty bill, Bank statement, but oddly, NOT car insurance document, even for the car in question)

Personal Public Service Number (PPSN). If you don't have PPS Id card, some recent document with your name, address and PPS no.

Evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State. (For NI purchase, the Invoice will do, as long as you don't try to say you brought it in several days after the purchase)

Id for yourself of course, and Id/ proof of adress/pps for the new registered owner of the car, if it's not you but your'e presenting for inspection, and also, if the invoice is in your name but the car is not for you, the VRTVPD2 must be filled in accordingly.

Payment by card, draft, cheque (limit 10k). Cash topup to a max of €250.

That's pretty much it.

You're a legend thanks very much.

I've been reading on this thread about people sending documents off to the DVLA.

Anyone know how quickly they turn around these appointments, with COVID 19 I'm not too keen on leaving the house unless I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You’re not keen on going out because of Covid 19 but you went to the North to collect a car lol

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    You’re not keen on going out because of Covid 19 but you went to the North to collect a car lol

Going on a long drive one of the few safe pleasures left, though I'm curious how he got there. Presumably in another car, I wouldn't fancy a bus. Its when you get to someplace that you worry. I nipped into loo in Tesco t'other day while she shopped, left the safety of the car. Pushed jax door open with my foot, but on exit, it was flush tight fit with only the tiniest handle to pull towards you. Makeshift glove of bog roll and handwash done the trick. I feel like Chuck from 'Better call Saul'. We all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm importing a vehicle from NI and new to the new system with no Certificate of Export. Do I or the seller need to fill in any part of the V5 or do I just take it as it is to the VRT inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm importing a vehicle from NI and new to the new system with no Certificate of Export. Do I or the seller need to fill in any part of the V5 or do I just take it as it is to the VRT inspection?

bring it as it is.

The seller is supposed to fill in the export slip on the second page and send that section to DVLA but there are no repercussions of not doing so

Going on a long drive one of the few safe pleasures left, though I'm curious how he got there. Presumably in another car, I wouldn't fancy a bus. Its when you get to someplace that you worry. I nipped into loo in Tesco t'other day while she shopped, left the safety of the car. Pushed jax door open with my foot, but on exit, it was flush tight fit with only the tiniest handle to pull towards you. Makeshift glove of bog roll and handwash done the trick. I feel like Chuck from 'Better call Saul'. We all do.

I had the car brought down to where I live. Delivery service from the dealer.

I had the car brought down to where I live. Delivery service from the dealer.
    That's excellent. Did he give you an estimate of VRT and Nox tax?

yes all in 3400... so not too bad.. 2015 audi a6 s line avant...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi what dealer did you use, looking at doing something similar.

Thats very good, I assume it's the 187hp ultra, 118mg CO2, so low VRT. Nox only 66mg, €390 of the total charge. Love the A6, I've a 2015 Quattro myself, not an import, it turned out much cheaper to buy here with high VRT on import and dealers here find 3l A6 harder to shift, so I got a bargain.

• Advertisement

They're called Bells Crossgar but unfortunately they're closed since Tuesday, the owner soundly drove the car down to me. Good customer service. He didn't know when he'd be opening back up.

Advertisement