Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Hi guys, this might have been answered but i couldnt find it.

Currently looking at a car up north.
    Dealer said he can give me a letter saying it was in before jan.
    Whats the story here? Legit or will i be stung with vat and duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

lankz92 wrote: »
    Hi guys, this might have been answered but i couldnt find it.

Currently looking at a car up north.
    Dealer said he can give me a letter saying it was in before jan.
    Whats the story here? Legit or will i be stung with vat and duty?

i think they'll want more than a letter, invoice at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Currently looking at a car (on English plates) for sale in Ireland. Seller says the car has been in the country since November 2020 and has the invoice from the original seller and the company who transported it from England to Ireland.

Question is would this satisfy the VRT that no Vat or duty would be due as vehicle was in country before January 2021?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Currently looking at a car (on English plates) for sale in Ireland. Seller says the car has been in the country since November 2020 and has the invoice from the original seller and the company who transported it from England to Ireland.

Question is would this satisfy the VRT that no Vat or duty would be due as vehicle was in country before January 2021?

Thanks

Well it will be an interesting exercise if you were to go for it.
    Its hard to tell but i get the feeling that this is what alotof the trade are doing seeing as uk cars are still shipping in by the truck load. Id say there is a roaring trade in haulage dockets with any reg you like on them and invoicing through a maze of traders around NI claiming 2020 purchase

hard to tell but you could be in for late VRT penalties going back 5 months.

It's not permitted to sell a UK reg car in Ireland, seller should be VRTing it himself, and you can only wonder why he hasn't ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

mickdw wrote: »
    Well it will be an interesting exercise if you were to go for it.
    Its hard to tell but i get the feeling that this is what alotof the trade are doing seeing as uk cars are still shipping in by the truck load. Id say there is a roaring trade in haulage dockets with any reg you like on them and invoicing through a maze of traders around NI claiming 2020 purchase

I think they look more at when the vehicle came into the state and they will be looking at ferry ticket. You could have bought the car in November, but when did the car enter the state, of be very wary

Isambard wrote: »
    hard to tell but you could be in for late VRT penalties going back 5 months.

It's not permitted to sell a UK reg car in Ireland, seller should be VRTing it himself, and you can only wonder why he hasn't ,

Yeah thinking the same myself.

They claim to have the invoice from an auction and the transportation to Ireland all dated from November last year. I've done a history check on the vehicle which seems to tally with what they're saying.

Was wondering if the VRT would accept the paper work (not in my name) and what would the VRT penalty be? Price from November last year?

Edit: 10% OMSP I see ouch...makes it much less of a bargain. Basically doubles the VRT.

Yeah thinking the same myself.

They claim to have the invoice from an auction and the transportation to Ireland all dated from November last year. I've done a history check on the vehicle which seems to tally with what they're saying.

Was wondering if the VRT would accept the paper work (not in my name) and what would the VRT penalty be? Price from November last year?

Edit: 10% OMSP I see ouch...makes it much less of a bargain. Basically doubles the VRT.

that 10% is from VRT.ie ? very unreliable website, penalty is calculated as Outstanding charge at 0.1% per day of the VRT

Thanks 😀

Isambard wrote: »
    i think they'll want more than a letter, invoice at least.

He says its worked for others but no guarantees.
    Tbh even if im hit with the duty/vat i'll be getting a better spec car for the money vs here. Its more the hassle.

If iv say have an invoice saying the ni dealer had it dec 2020 do i just book the vrt or do i still need to go through customs?

Edit: okay had a look today. Shipping invoice for december, that should cover me right? Just straight to the vrt?
    Collecting during the week.
    Worst case i get a higher spec car than down here so i'll take the risk.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update.

Bought the car Wednesday and successfully VRT'd it on Saturday evening.

Called the VRT crowd before buying to check with them and all they required was invoice from seller, invoice that they received when they bought the car in GB and the proof of shipping into Ireland pre 2021 which was just an email printout of the booking confirmation.

Vrt was charged from the day I bought it and no late penalties incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I'm sure this has been asked, so apologies but I could not find it by search....whats the quickest and easiest way to find Nox emissions of a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Assuming you are referring to a UK vehicle, the NOx data will be stated on the V5C certificate of the particular car, which is what should be relied upon.

If you don't have an actual car in mind, you can get data of from here: https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

Just a quick update.

Bought the car Wednesday and successfully VRT'd it on Saturday evening.

Called the VRT crowd before buying to check with them and all they required was invoice from seller, invoice that they received when they bought the car in GB and the proof of shipping into Ireland pre 2021 which was just an email printout of the booking confirmation.

Vrt was charged from the day I bought it and no late penalties incurred.

Iv mine booked wedensday morning. Shipping invoice but got no invoice from when he bought it. Fingers crossed cause iv no clue how to go about customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭User1998

You can’t VRT the car without an invoice

User1998 wrote: »
    You can’t VRT the car without an invoice

Iv got my own invoice from him. Just not his from when he bought it.
    Maybe that came across wrong sorry. Ha.

Iv got an invoice from when i bought it and a shipping invoice from when he recieved it in stock.

That should be fine then. If you have an invoice and proof of entry before January then your sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Is there any decent free VRT calculator? Motorcheck appears to be useless, doesn't recognise most regs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

For anyone who has contacted Revenue online through enquiries I have been waiting on a reply from them for 6 weeks now regarding getting my vehicle emissions corrected.

Is this timeframe normal? Seems excessive. I called them and they said they are replying to people within 4-5 working days which is clearly not true.

Thanks, theres no nox charge for n1 commercial vehicles am I right?

ek motor wrote: »
    Thanks, theres no nox charge for n1 commercial vehicles am I right?

Thats correct as long as its a 2 seater
    (not a crewcab)

Thats correct as long as its a 2 seater
    (not a crewcab)

Interesting, I looked up a couple of 4 door crew cab L200s and no NOx charge appeared.

Well the likes of a 5 seat Range Rover / Q7 crewcab no longer qualify for the 13.3% VRT and no nox charges. They must be 2 seats in order to qualify.

It’s possibly different with factory 5 seat crewcabs

lankz92 wrote: »
    Iv mine booked wedensday morning. Shipping invoice but got no invoice from when he bought it. Fingers crossed cause iv no clue how to go about customs.

Hopefully all goes well

All good.
    Uk reg, no questions asked once i had the shipping info.

Super happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    For anyone who has contacted Revenue online through enquiries I have been waiting on a reply from them for 6 weeks now regarding getting my vehicle emissions corrected.

Is this timeframe normal? Seems excessive. I called them and they said they are replying to people within 4-5 working days which is clearly not true.

Have challenged my VRT and Car Tax evaluations on the basis of incorrect emissions calculations - both charged at 115mg which the was WLTP figure on the V5C. Waiting since last October for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Luckylow10 wrote:

Luckylow10 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Advertisement