Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about the hybrid bit, just look up a normal 3 Series diesel in the calculator. All manufacturers are labeling their models as "mild hybrid" now as the word hybrid is trendy. All they really have done with these is put in extra small batteries to run some of the car's electrics off them in order to improve fuel consumption and co2 emissions. They are not proper hybrids in the sense that have a battery driven electric motor that works in conjunction with the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been answered before but trying to figure out if I can get out of the VRT payment when I purchase a car in the north as this is my first import, and on account of the once in a lifeline exemption if you can prove you owned the car for 6 months prior in the north. I plan to buy a car that was in NI prior to Jan 21 also to get around the new VAT tax

I am from northern Ireland & do have bank statements still coming to my home address, however have been working in ROI for the last number of years & did change over my license late last year due to brexit , so trying to figure out if this is no longer a runner really

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I did find this link, but TBH i'm still not any clearer on it & how much leeway I have. Thanks!!
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the exemption is on moving your residence to the Republic so you don't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been answered before but trying to figure out if I can get out of the VRT payment when I purchase a car in the north as this is my first import, and on account of the once in a lifeline exemption if you can prove you owned the car for 6 months prior in the north. I plan to buy a car that was in NI prior to Jan 21 also to get around the new VAT tax

I am from northern Ireland & do have bank statements still coming to my home address, however have been working in ROI for the last number of years & did change over my license late last year due to brexit , so trying to figure out if this is no longer a runner really

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I did find this link, but TBH i'm still not any clearer on it & how much leeway I have. Thanks!!
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

They make it pretty hard to make the exemption stick even for genuine cases so in short - not a hope of avoiding vrt.
    You can avoid vat and duty by buying the right car in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'm struggling with understanding some of the VRT results produced by the ROS calculator. I'm looking at bringing in a 2015 Merc E220 from the North.

When I select different Mercs from the drop down list box, I get widely different results of the depreciation rate used by the calculator to compute OMSP- some have depreciation in the 50-55% range, while others have it at nearly 90%.

How is this supposed to help anyone plan for assesing their VRT/nox exposure?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'm struggling with understanding some of the VRT results produced by the ROS calculator. I'm looking at bringing in a 2015 Merc E220 from the North.

When I select different Mercs from the drop down list box, I get widely different results of the depreciation rate used by the calculator to compute OMSP- some have depreciation in the 50-55% range, while others have it at nearly 90%.

How is this supposed to help anyone plan for assesing their VRT/nox exposure?

You need to pick the exact car. You would want to have the true emissions rate from the intended car as a good start point otherwise you coupd for example be selecting 2015 e class but picking an engine option for a newer or older model giving bull**** results.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Importing novice here so apologies in advance!

I’m considering importing a 2018 Mercedes E220 diesel from the North and have two questions....

Do I have to pay a VAT charge separate to what I pay the garage for the car or does the VRT charge capture this?

Other than cost of ferry, is there any difference between buying in mainland uk and Northern Ireland.

Thanks!

Importing novice here so apologies in advance!

I’m considering importing a 2018 Mercedes E220 diesel from the North and have two questions....

Do I have to pay a VAT charge separate to what I pay the garage for the car or does the VRT charge capture this?

Other than cost of ferry, is there any difference between buying in mainland uk and Northern Ireland.

Thanks!

Be very careful. Since brexit, northern irish registered cars or cars in northern ireland prior to brexit (end of 2020) wont incur any vat or duty on registration here unless it deemed new (under 6 month old or under 6k km).
    All other imports will need vat and most need duty also.
    In all cases you must pay vrt and nox.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

mickdw wrote: »
    Be very careful. Since brexit, northern irish registered cars or cars in northern ireland prior to brexit (end of 2020) wont incur any vat or duty on registration here unless it deemed new (under 6 month old or under 6k km).

VRT exemption are available for a disability vehicle and a change of residence from UK to Ireland ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Thanks Mick. Any idea what the rate of VAT and duty might be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Thanks Mick. Any idea what the rate of VAT and duty might be?

23% VAT 10% Duty

You're welcome Former Coach!

You need to pick the exact car. You would want to have the true emissions rate from the intended car as a good start point otherwise you coupd for example be selecting 2015 e class but picking an engine option for a newer or older model giving bull**** results.

I get that point about engines and CO2/nox. However, I just don't understand how they are using depreciation rates that vary from 50% to almost 90% to arrive at the OMSP in their calculator as printed.

VRT exemption are available for a disability vehicle and a change of residence from UK to Ireland ROI

I was answering the poster above. He didnt mention disability or transfer of residence.

Take about jumping down your neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

I'm buying a car that was imported to NI from GB back in December (so I shouldn't incur the new post Jan 1st tax). On the VRTVPD2 form, Date of Entry into the State, do I put the date from December, or the date that it enters ROI, which will be tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I would think you would put tomorrow on it. As long as the car is entering from NI then it shouldn't matter.

You can leave it blank and ask the person at the VRT office anyway as I did this with another part of the form last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Yes its the date you bring it down south. Fill it all in as normal. Your purchase date etc... you'll just need a shipping invoice or some proof it was in ni before 2021.

Tbh, when i was in someone was asking about it while i was waiting and i got the impression they'll take just about anything as proof it was in ni pre brexit. She said shipping info, letter from dealer or even a stock number. They really dont sound too bothered, cant see that lasting much longer. Be a different story trying to say a dealer had it since december next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Completed process of bringing a 2018 auris hybrid from North, Seamless process to be honest. Delighted with my purchase saved about 4 k even with vrt tax. Raging plates aren't included in price. You'd think they'd throw in a couple of reg plates ffs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Be grateful they don't charge you for the print out showing your new reg lol

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

dave1982 wrote: »
    Completed process of bringing a 2018 auris hybrid from North, Seamless process to be honest. Delighted with my purchase saved about 4 k even with vrt tax. Raging plates aren't included in price. You'd think they'd throw in a couple of reg plates ffs haha

Out of curiosity what proof did you give them that it was in the North before 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Out of curiosity what proof did you give them that it was in the North before 2021?
    Honestly just V5 logbook and sales receipt, I was given documentation from dealer showing car was sold by them in 2018 and serviced every year by them. He didn't even take it. I was worried I'd be questioned asked for proof etc. I don't know does it have something do with reg. I read NI regs are different the letters identify first registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

dave1982 wrote: »
    Honestly just V5 logbook and sales receipt, I was given documentation from dealer showing car was sold by them in 2018 and serviced every year by them. He didn't even take it. I was worried I'd be questioned asked for proof etc. I don't know does it have something do with reg. I read NI regs are different the letters identify first registration.

Thanks dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hi Folks,

If you a cross border worker then it'll be fine. Revenue does look at all aspects though, so if there any indicators that point to you having a southern connection then that'll come into question. E.g. if you're working for an ROI company and your tax record for correspondence shows as somewhere you rent in the south then that'll invalidate it. If you are only paying ROI tax but have no dual tax record, given you live in the north, then that might also invalidate.

Basically, if they have anything that suggests you are residing in the south then it's a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Has anyone managed to process a customs declaration themselves for a UK motor import?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

What would have happened if this car had been registered in NI in 2021 as I thought if cars are registered in NI then it's just normal vrt and nox to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

I would think you would put tomorrow on it. As long as the car is entering from NI then it shouldn't matter.

You can leave it blank and ask the person at the VRT office anyway as I did this with another part of the form last week.
    lankz92 wrote: »
    Yes its the date you bring it down south. Fill it all in as normal. Your purchase date etc... you'll just need a shipping invoice or some proof it was in ni before 2021.

Tbh, when i was in someone was asking about it while i was waiting and i got the impression they'll take just about anything as proof it was in ni pre brexit. She said shipping info, letter from dealer or even a stock number. They really dont sound too bothered, cant see that lasting much longer. Be a different story trying to say a dealer had it since december next winter.

Just out of VRT office, all the dealer in the North gave me was a one page invoice showing the date they bought it from England back in 2020. The woman in the VRT office didnt bat an eye at it and accepted it, so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you a cross border worker then it'll be fine. Revenue does look at all aspects though, so if there any indicators that point to you having a southern connection then that'll come into question. E.g. if you're working for an ROI company and your tax record for correspondence shows as somewhere you rent in the south then that'll invalidate it. If you are only paying ROI tax but have no dual tax record, given you live in the north, then that might also invalidate.

Basically, if they have anything that suggests you are residing in the south then it's a no-go.

I disagree because of the licence switch to RoI. That will be a red flag that the poster is ROI resident not U.K.

What would have happened if this car had been registered in NI in 2021 as I thought if cars are registered in NI then it's just normal vrt and nox to pay?

Same question here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Same question here..

If the car was registered in 2021 in NI then you would also have to pay VAT on the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

statto25 wrote: »
    If the car was registered in 2021 in NI then you would also have to pay VAT on the purchase

Even if the car was already registered to a NI dealer or private NI seller?
    Thought Vat was only applicable if car was registered in GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Even if the car was already registered to a NI dealer or private NI seller?
    Thought Vat was only applicable if car was registered in GB.

i think the original idea was that a GB to NI transfer would undergo Customs procedure . The UK moved the goal posts and this seems to have been abandoned with the result that Revenue are charging for all ex GB cars out of GB from 2021 as if they have been brought into the Republic direct..

Advertisement