Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

ELM327 wrote: »
    The amarok is an N1 so no nox?

Thats what i was wondering, thought i might have been missing something, it makes some difference.

Looked at a 2015 Santa Fe and VRT including Nox was €12k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Amarok as an N1 should (assuming it meets the load capacity requirements which I think even the crewcab does?) be at 13% VRT and no NOX

Passenger SUVs , especially longer running models, get hammered on the nox.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pentax

Hi ,

Does anyone know if the VRT calculation is based on the original OMSP or the current OMSP?

Also the 60k limit for electric cars to avail of the 5k grant - is that limit applied to the current OMSP or the OMSP when the car was new.

Thanks for your help.

Pentax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭User1998

Current OMSP

€5k grant is ending soon and only applies to new cars afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Anyone know what happens in the event of the NOx emissions being blank on the V5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Anyone know what happens in the event of the NOx emissions being blank on the V5?

The VRT folks will apply the maximum for nox, unless you have the figure on the V5, OR failing that, the Certificate of Conformity

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Thanks, given revenue state that “ If satisfactory evidence of NOx emissions cannot be provided the following maximum charges will apply”

They are clearly not limiting it to a V5 or certificate of conformity. Satisfactory evidence could mean anything including a description from the car maker itself, no?

A letter from the manufacturer stating the emissions is supposed to be accepted but the VRT people wouldn’t accept it for me.

A print out from here should suffice:

https://www.gov.uk/co2-and-vehicle-tax-tools

Edit: Actually I think that only shows co2

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hi,
    Any ideas of the VRT and possible import implications of an NI registered crew cab van?

Seller is in the south. 14 reg crafter with 58K. Seller claims he was was quoted 5k import.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

thanks - I'd imagine they are all pulling from the same source? Cartell agrees with the figures on autotrader for both cars

To answer my own question it seems that it's just a general hike in VRT overall - who'd have thought Brexit wouldn't actually have much of an impact importing a car from the North, rather it's just our own greedy government once again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Is Duty + VAT charged on the UK Sterling invoice price or the converted euro equivalent?

If your buying private how are you supposed to get an invoice? I guess a letter with seller/buyer/purchase price details will suffice?

I’d imagine a lot are under declaring purchase price?

Or are duties/vat calculated in OMSP like car VRT?

Thanks

Duty and VAT is calculated on the invoice selling price. If the invoice selling price is suspiciously low you will have to provide 6 months bank statements to prove the amount you actually paid.

What your talking about is called under invoicing and that was cracked down on a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

User1998 wrote: »
    Duty and VAT is calculated on the invoice selling price. If the invoice selling price is suspiciously low you will have to provide 6 months bank statements to prove the amount you actually paid.

What your talking about is called under invoicing and that was cracked down on a few years back

Do you have the link for the above information referring to 6 months bank statements?

Thanks for reply.

So are duties paid in euro or sterling?

Does money go to Ireland or UK coffers?

Do you have the link for the above information referring to 6 months bank statements?

No just personal experience. I deal with Revenue all the time

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

So are duties paid in euro or sterling?

Does money go to Ireland or UK coffers?

Duty is paid in euros

Duty is paid in euros

Cheers.

I wonder how favourable the exchange rate is......

Or will you get screwed on that too ..... :(

Cheers.

I wonder how favourable the exchange rate is......

Or will you get screwed on that too ..... :(

In addition, they also expect a pint of blood

So if you live in NI and import a car from England do you have to pay duties/vat etc?

Presumably not...

In that case can you import into NI, register in NI and then import to Ireland without duties/vat?

If so does vehicle have to be registered in NI for a minimum period?

The deal was that there was duty to be paid when importing from GB to NI. That changed a week after Brexit which resulted in vat and duty being payable here if you imported a car from GB to NI and then to ROI.

The only cars that can be imported free of vat and duty are cars that were in NI before Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

The deal was that there was duty to be paid when importing from GB to NI. That changed a week after Brexit which resulted in vat and duty being payable here if you imported a car from GB to NI and then to ROI.

The only cars that can be imported free of vat and duty are cars that were in NI before Brexit

that's my take on it too.

So if you live in NI and import a car from England do you have to pay duties/vat etc?

Presumably not...

In that case can you import into NI, register in NI and then import to Ireland without duties/vat?

If so does vehicle have to be registered in NI for a minimum period?

There's the rub!

As envisaged in the NI Protocol on Brexit withdrawal, NI was to have been treated as remaining in EU for Customs/trade purposes- effectively the craaazy 'border in the Irish Sea' solution to avoid a hard border between NI and the Republic. The rules around 'importing' from GB to NI were ridiculous, unworkable and full of confusion and holes. So, if the NI Protocol was implemented as intended, Customs declarations would have been required in NI once a vehicle was brought in from GB.

AFAIK, that is still the 'technically legal' position. In practice, BoJo seems to have renaged on that requirement through very gray area operation of the rules. So, in practice, I believe that your presumprion is correct while in theory it is not.

The issue arises from a ROI point of view, once a person tries to import the same car from NI into ROI. Irish Customs will require that a declaration has been made to HMRC in NI for any vehicle that is brought in from GB after 31/12/2020. If no declaration exists, even if the car was reg'd in NI, then Customs Duty and VAT will be levied.

All AFAIK, and due to the total bolloxology around all this, I could be totally wrong.. However, this is my best attempt at figuring out the current mess, but acknowledge that better men than me have tried to explain it and failed.. ������

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There's the rub!

As envisaged in the NI Protocol on Brexit withdrawal, NI was to have been treated as remaining in EU for Customs/trade purposes- effectively the craaazy 'border in the Irish Sea' solution to avoid a hard border between NI and the Republic. The rules around 'importing' from GB to NI were ridiculous, unworkable and full of confusion and holes. So, if the NI Protocol was implemented as intended, Customs declarations would have been required in NI once a vehicle was brought in from GB.

AFAIK, that is still the 'technically legal' position. In practice, BoJo seems to have renaged on that requirement through very gray area operation of the rules. So, in practice, I believe that your presumprion is correct while in theory it is not.

The issue arises from a ROI point of view, once a person tries to import the same car from NI into ROI. Irish Customs will require that a declaration has been made to HMRC in NI for any vehicle that is brought in from GB after 31/12/2020. If no declaration exists, even if the car was reg'd in NI, then Customs Duty and VAT will be levied.

All AFAIK, and due to the total bolloxology around all this, I could be totally wrong.. However, this is my best attempt at figuring out the current mess, but acknowledge that better men than me have tried to explain it and failed.. ������

Its a pity Irish Revenue couldn't explain it as clearly. Have you seen the website:mad:

Its a pity Irish Revenue couldn't explain it as clearly. Have you seen the website:mad:

Yeah, the Revenue website is dreadful on this subject.

An appalling exercise in circular bollox that says nothing of value..

Mind you,HMRC doesnt deal with it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

There's the rub!

How do Revenue know if a car was in Northern Ireland before December 31st 2020?

For instance, there are quite a lot of GB cars in Northern Ireland for sale, stating to ROI customers that no Duty/VAT is due. I checked one car and it had a change of ownership in February 2021 in London, yet the dealer was adament that they would assist VRTing the car and no Duty/VAT is due for ROI registration. It hardly makes business sense either if a car has been at a dealers unsold for over 5 months. How can this be?

Is the NCT centres responsible for collecting Duty/VAT and if so what proof do they need to clarify that the car was in NI before 1st January 2021?

How do Revenue know if a car was in Northern Ireland before December 31st 2020?

For instance, there are quite a lot of GB cars in Northern Ireland for sale, stating to ROI customers that no Duty/VAT is due. I checked one car and it had a change of ownership in February 2021 in London, yet the dealer was adament that they would assist VRTing the car and no Duty/VAT is due for ROI registration. It hardly makes business sense either if a car has been at a dealers unsold for over 5 months. How can this be?

Is the NCT centres responsible for collecting Duty/VAT and if so what proof do they need to clarify that the car was in NI before 1st January 2021?

Again, in theory, the VRT folks will require 'proof' that it was in N I on 31st December 2020. If the V5 shows a NI address with a reg pre 31/12, then I assume that would be grand. Otherwise, they say other evidence, such as a ferry ticket, or a pre-2021 invoice from a UK seller to a NI buyer would suffice.

However, I suspect that its such a mess that little or no repeatable strategy is in use, unless an obvious case of importation after 31/12 arises. Anything else, and you're in the hands of whomever you meet on the day, it would appear.

There's the rub!

Over the long term I can see a lot of NI dealers going out of business. As eventually most of the cars they will have for sale will be imported post 2020. And I can't see many republic buyers wanting to pay duty and vat(again)

i think a lot of car importers are being given the benefit of the doubt to a certain extent about when the car entered NI, can't see that being the case much longer though.

Isambard wrote: »
    i think a lot of car importers are being given the benefit of the doubt to a certain extent about when the car entered NI, can't see that being the case much longer though.
    Not sure, as the dealer I contacted in Ni had 2 cars I was interested in. One was imported from GB pre 2021 and the other in 2021. Duty and vat was applicable on the latter.

• Advertisement

Not sure, as the dealer I contacted in Ni had 2 cars I was interested in. One was imported from GB pre 2021 and the other in 2021. Duty and vat was applicable on the latter.

an honest dealer then!

Advertisement