Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Lads I'm looking at a car in the UK
    (living here currently but not long and won't be long enough for free vrt or any of that old stuff)

Long story short;
    Car is a 1999
    Price is £3k
    Vrt calculator gives a price of €1200 (that's with max Nox charge - petrol and I don't know what is on the logbook yet so assume the worst)

What other import duty/ tax is there on top?

I'll be driving it back, VIA ferry and northern Ireland.

With all taxes paid that's a 6,500 euro car.

What 1999 car is worth 6500?

On the topic of old cars,

What are the tax implications if any for importing a Classic car from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Same Customs Duty and VAT rules as for any other car on the way in.

VRT chargeable on the OMSP. For classic cars, OMSP valuations are tricky. Here's what they say:

"For unique vehicles (e.g. classic/collectible vehicles, limousines, kit/reconstructed
    vehicles and other exotic vehicles) which, by their unique characteristics, are not
    capable of being valued by reference to other vehicles on sale in the State,
    Revenue seeks the opinion of an automotive consultant retained by Revenue.
    The OMSP is then determined by taking their opinion and any other relevant
    information (including documentation provided by the person presenting the
    vehicle for registration) into account."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

23% VAT on (invoice price plus transport costs) plus 10% duty if car not built in the UK. Plus VRT

It must be something really special to be spending that on a 1999 as already noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WhatNext?

Hi all, just wondering if you could help me.

I have my eyes on a used Land Cruiser in the UK for private sale. I have an idea of the VRT price etc. and know that I will be liable for customs and VAT.

If I were to buy it and pick it up, would I have to tax it in the UK first? And then once I get it here, VRT and re-tax it? Or is there a different process? I wouldn't be averse to getting it loaded up and transported over, but just don't know the implications when it arrives at the docks.

Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Same Customs Duty and VAT rules as for any other car on the way in.

VRT chargeable on the OMSP. For classic cars, OMSP valuations are tricky. Here's what they say:

"For unique vehicles (e.g. classic/collectible vehicles, limousines, kit/reconstructed
    vehicles and other exotic vehicles) which, by their unique characteristics, are not
    capable of being valued by reference to other vehicles on sale in the State,
    Revenue seeks the opinion of an automotive consultant retained by Revenue.
    The OMSP is then determined by taking their opinion and any other relevant
    information (including documentation provided by the person presenting the
    vehicle for registration) into account."

Who are these automotive consultants?
    Can they not just value it for what you paid for it?
    It's basically a licence to print money as there is no way they will value it less than what you paid for it.
    It's such a hindrance to import now, it's simply the state saying that they don't want any imports.
    We will all end up driving the same car , like the trabant in East Germany

• Advertisement

Who are these automotive consultants?
    Can they not just value it for what you paid for it?
    It's basically a licence to print money as there is no way they will value it less than what you paid for it.
    It's such a hindrance to import now, it's simply the state saying that they don't want any imports.
    We will all end up driving the same car , like the trabant in East Germany

it's not our State, it's those Brexit lunatics have caused all this grief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Isambard wrote: »

But it was this way before Brexit, cars not on the vrt website were valued independently and then Brexit has been added to this.
    Ireland agreed to this too being part of the EU so what ever Brexit did, Ireland agreed and didn't stand up for its own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nothing stopping our state scrapping VRT to level things up, but the are not going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

mgn wrote: »
    Nothing stopping our state scrapping VRT to level things up, but the are not going to do that.

f41c47022eb3a3e5dda89ffbbae00d86.gif

mgn wrote: »

with the bill for Covid still being typed up, there's not a chance of that, more likely the tax bill will increase beyond all belief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

with the bill for Covid still being typed up, there's not a chance of that, more likely the tax bill will increase beyond all belief

The have no problem spending a million a day on cycle lanes to keep a few muppets in government happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aqotis

Hey guys, bought car from North without doing proper research about extra charges. It's very confusing on NCT page, can someone explain me clearly how this VAT works? Car 2015 Mercedes, imported to North in 2017, now do I need costum declaration form? Will I have to pay VAT on it? If I do this 23% is on what,car price or VRT price? Appreciate all the help.

if it's been in the north since 2017 and you can prove it, nothing other than VRT to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aqotis

if it's been in the north since 2017 and you can prove it, nothing other than VRT to pay.

Any examples of proof? On log book the previous owners address in Portadown and says vehicle acquired in 11.03.2017 would that count as proof? Thanks

aqotis wrote: »
    Any examples of proof? On log book the previous owners address in Portadown and says vehicle acquired in 11.03.2017 would that count as proof? Thanks

i reckon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

The logical thing to do would be retain vrt for new cars and scrap it for second hand ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lausp wrote: »
    The logical thing to do would be retain vrt for new cars and scrap it for second hand ones.

How would that work given that used car values are calculated from new car prices that would include VRT? You cannot take it away from one and leave it on the other.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How would that work given that used car values are calculated from new car prices that would include VRT? You cannot take it away from one and leave it on the other.

would make new cars unsaleable when the time came for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 53an1996

Hi all,

Late to the party, and maybe it has been answered above.

I have bought a car (I didnt really buy it - I wont it from "R-Kings".)

They gave me a shipping delivery docket that confirms the car was in Northern Ireland in December 2020.

I only bought/won the car 2 weeks ago. So my invoice for my ticket to the raffle which was £2 is dated for then.

As the car was in Northern Ireland in 2020 (and have proof that this is the case), do I need to pay VAT and customs when I VRT the car in Ireland?

The VC5 (UK log book), is still registered to an address in Manchester.

I have searched high and low, and keep receiving conflicting information.

I want to VRT the car soon, but want to be certain what im in for first.

So any ideas - do I have to pay VAT and Customs as well as my VRT?
    (To summarise: Vehicle was brought into northern Ireland in December 2020. Its still registered to address in England. I bought (won it) it from somone in Northern Ireland 2 weeks ago, and have invoice for it.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

While I didn't win the car I VRT'D last month I was in basically the same situation as yourself.

I called the NCT before buying the car in question and they confirmed that as long as I had proof of shipping (pre 2021), original receipt from seller and proof of purchase from the seller when they bought the car.

I only had to pay VRT from when I bought it mid April and nothing more.

The car was in Ireland since last December but I didn't have to pay any penalty.

As long as you have all of the above you're good to go.

The VRT (including the Nox charge) will be calculated on the OMSP of the car.

• Advertisement

Cheers pal.

Was the VC5 you had when you VRT'd the car still registered in England?

I have the shipping docket for when the car arrived in Northern Ireland (December 2020), and an invoice from the company I won it off. But I dont imagine they have the invoice of when it was originally bought from the UK.

I would imagine I can do it without the invoice from when they bought it from the UK and just the transport company delivery docket. But I may have to enquire..

As you won the car and have to proof of arrival on the island then you should be fine.

Yeah was still an English address on the V5.

You shouldn't have any issue.

What kind of car is it out of interest?

Cheers man. Hopefully sorted at that then so.

Was a 2016 Mk7 golf GTD. Serious car for £2

Nice, not a bad motor for €2.

Slightly better bargain than the 2018 Seat Leon FR ST is picked up for €9k 😂

Was still a pretty decent bit of car for the money. Just needs another run or two of the ozone generator to remove the previous owners handy work.

FR a lovey motor. That’s a very reasonable price too.

Which VRT centre in the country did you present to? Your name makes me think Donegal, which is where I am is why I ask 😅

That's the one. Took it to Donegal Town as they're easier dealt with than the Letterkenny ones.

Yeah car needed a few bits sorted inside and the previous owner had a dog... she's coming together nicely now though.

Yeah you shouldn't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 techtalk101

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Unless it was built in GB or predominantly of GB made parts, add 10% duty to the total cost inc. Ferry etc. Then add 23% VAT on purchase price + ferry + duty.

Thanks!

It's a Honda that's costing approx 5-6k in Ireland so I wanted to see if it would be worth the pain or just wait and buy an Irish one.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

53an1996 wrote: »
    Cheers man. Hopefully sorted at that then so.

Was a 2016 Mk7 golf GTD. Serious car for £2

I answered your pm late last night but i see you got sorted. Shipping invoice should do you fine. Infact my v5 was dated march this year due to a reg change and reissue. Didnt bat an eyelid once i had the shipping docket.

Congrats on the win btw, closest iv come is one number out with them. Tbh hurt more than being nowhere near haha

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Bought a car last week in NI, have a vrt appointment on Thursday.The lad I paid for it wrote me an invoice for it and signed his name to it,but his girlfriend’s name is on the v5c document will that cause me any problems when I vrt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭User1998

No it doesn’t matter who’s name is on the logbook

Advertisement