Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrManBuz

Hey guys, hoping to get a bit of help with this. I'm looking to import a classic car from Britain. I'll be liable for duty, VAT and VRT I'm aware. But what I've tried to figure out is, how do you actually make a customs declaration? I've tried looking on the revenue website and it's just a confusing mess.

Do I need to make the declaration before I bring the car back on the ferry? Or can I make the declaration after I've brought it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

MrManBuz wrote: »
    Hey guys, hoping to get a bit of help with this. I'm looking to import a classic car from Britain. I'll be liable for duty, VAT and VRT I'm aware. But what I've tried to figure out is, how do you actually make a customs declaration? I've tried looking on the revenue website and it's just a confusing mess.

Do I need to make the declaration before I bring the car back on the ferry? Or can I make the declaration after I've brought it home?

It’s pretty complicated to do yourself on a one off basis.

Use a Customs Agent to sort paperwork on your behalf.

It will cost around E150

An example agent would be:

“Clear Customs” in Westmeath

+353 5793 10592

I have no affiliation or direct experience with this company but did speak to them by phone and they seem to be sound but check them/alternatives yourself.

I was put in contact with them by this car/bike transporter who appears to move a lot of classic cars between IE/UK. Nice chap.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27047567

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

User1998 wrote: »
    No it doesn’t matter who’s name is on the logbook

That's an interesting point, actually.

While the VRT lads won't care whose name is on the logbook, where would a fella stand if, in such a case, yer man sold the GF's car out from under her?

I know its a different issue, but I could see issues arising in some cases..

MrManBuz wrote: »

This might be easier to follow:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html#

As a matter of interest, what is the make/model of the vehicle? Depending on where it was built and the origin of the parts that were used, you might have some 'Rules of Origin' leeway on the Customs Duty piece. For example, an e-type Jag was born in Coventry, which would obviate the 10%, while a Mercedes of the same vintage was born in Germany and would attract the 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I'm a bit puzzled by all this!

Apparently V5C's only gave the WLTP figure from April 2020 so how come your 2018 car is showing WLTP not NEDC?

Revenue website says V5C figure will be used unless you supply a certificate of conformity for your specific vehicle. It looks like you can get one here.
    You are indeed correct!

I received my COC from BMW free of charge and, lo-and-behold, there was the NEDC figure of 115g/km.

BMW had retested their cars according to WLTP guidelines, but the newspapers omitted the fact that BMW established a WLTP figure and then applied a formula to retrieve a new NEDC output.

No wonder I got a grand off the initial sales price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This might be easier to follow:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html#

As a matter of interest, what is the make/model of the vehicle? Depending on where it was built and the origin of the parts that were used, you might have some 'Rules of Origin' leeway on the Customs Duty piece. For example, an e-type Jag was born in Coventry, which would obviate the 10%, while a Mercedes of the same vintage was born in Germany and would attract the 10%

Thanks for the link but I just wanted to confirm something if you don't mind, my son was looking at two cars in a big main dealer in NI, they both originally came from England to NI, he was told he'd have to pay customs duty and/or VAT (can't remember exactly) on one of the cars if he imported it but not on the other so he's decided to buy that one.
    My question is what is the criteria for deciding whether or not a car originally from England is liable for vat if you buy it in NI and import it here?
    And also what proof would he need to provide to satisfy the Revenue that he doesn't have to pay it when he registers it?
    The car is 2017 and was imported into NI at some stage.
    Thanks

Thanks for the link but I just wanted to confirm something if you don't mind, my son was looking at two cars in a big main dealer in NI, they both originally came from England to NI, he was told he'd have to pay customs duty and/or VAT (can't remember exactly) on one of the cars if he imported it but not on the other so he's decided to buy that one.
    My question is what is the criteria for deciding whether or not a car originally from England is liable for vat if you buy it in NI and import it here?
    And also what proof would he need to provide to satisfy the Revenue that he doesn't have to pay it when he registers it?
    The car is 2017 and was imported into NI at some stage.
    Thanks

If provably in NI on/before 31/12/2020, then neither Duty nor VAT apply.

Proof= Registered in NI per V-5, OR evidence it was landed there on/before 31/12/2020.

Shipped in before 31/12 = ferry ticket, shipper consignment note, invoice detailing shipping. and many permutations / combinations of same.

If provably in NI on/before 31/12/2020, then neither Duty nor VAT apply.

Proof= Registered in NI per V-5, OR evidence it was landed there on/before 31/12/2020.

Shipped in before 31/12 = ferry ticket, shipper consignment note, invoice detailing shipping. and many permutations / combinations of same.

Perfect thanks, so will we need to get a photocopy of the full V5 logbook to prove this or will it be evident from the part they give us?
    It's a while since I imported a car but from what I remember they only gave me part of the V5 for export and sent the rest back to the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

You need the full V5 for VRT.

You need the full V5 for VRT.

Ah, ok so the dealer takes the export part and gives the main cert to us..?

• Advertisement

Yeah they fill out the small tearaway slip and you get the rest to take to the VRT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes this is most important, you'll have all sorts of grief if you don't get the main part of the V5C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's an interesting point, actually.

While the VRT lads won't care whose name is on the logbook, where would a fella stand if, in such a case, yer man sold the GF's car out from under her?

I know its a different issue, but I could see issues arising in some cases..

Nemo dat quod non habet (apart arguably the position of a bona fide purchaser for value).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aqotis

Hey guys hopefully someone can help me with this, so I bought the car from North and got my V5 in the post today, but it's missing one part of it V5C/4, which is notification of permanent export and says it has to be filled out and returned to DVLA office which the seller did. Because it's my first time trying to VRT the car thought I'll ring revenue about it, after 20min of the phone they couldn't give me straight answer. Then I rang NCT vrt number, the women on the phone was very straight full log book no part missing or they won't VRT the car, lost in here anyone else have similar experience? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

aqotis wrote: »
    Hey guys hopefully someone can help me with this, so I bought the car from North and got my V5 in the post today, but it's missing one part of it V5C/4, which is notification of permanent export and says it has to be filled out and returned to DVLA office which the seller did. Because it's my first time trying to VRT the car thought I'll ring revenue about it, after 20min of the phone they couldn't give me straight answer. Then I rang NCT vrt number, the women on the phone was very straight full log book no part missing or they won't VRT the car, lost in here anyone else have similar experience? Thanks

All you need to VRT you car is the front page of V5c, that is where all the information the need on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭User1998

The women on the VRT helpline literally haven’t a notion. They always give incorrect info.

All you need is the first page of the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jeremyr62

Colour me confused these post Brexit days.

I have bought bikes and cars from GB (England) and NI for myself and family members, imported them myself and only had to pay VRT. From reading this forum, post Brexit, which I assume to mean after 31/12/2020, importing from mainland UK is not feasible anymore due to VAT and Custom Duties. However NI seems different.

As my son now wants a car, is it possible/sensible to buy from NI and still only have to pay VRT?

If the car was first registered in NI before 2021 then only VRT is payable?
    If the car was first registered on the mainland UK but then sold /moved to NI and the V5C has a NI address, then only VRT is payable?

I last imported a car in early 2020 and the emissions taxes had not kicked in. Are these now rolled into the VRT or a separate item?

My son is looking at 5-6 year old cars only, probably petrol if I can convince him diesel is smelly horrible stuff.

Thanks.

I would think actually finding a suitable car to purchase in NI will be increasingly difficult with everyone looking for them.The supply of cars brought into NI before 2021 must be drying up and you'll be paying VAT and possibly Import Duty on any 2021 import to NI from GB.

jeremyr62 wrote: »
    Colour me confused these post Brexit days.

I have bought bikes and cars from GB (England) and NI for myself and family members, imported them myself and only had to pay VRT. From reading this forum, post Brexit, which I assume to mean after 31/12/2020, importing from mainland UK is not feasible anymore due to VAT and Custom Duties. However NI seems different.

As my son now wants a car, is it possible/sensible to buy from NI and still only have to pay VRT?

If the car was first registered in NI before 2021 then only VRT is payable?
    If the car was first registered on the mainland UK but then sold /moved to NI and the V5C has a NI address, then only VRT is payable?

I last imported a car in early 2020 and the emissions taxes had not kicked in. Are these now rolled into the VRT or a separate item?

My son is looking at 5-6 year old cars only, probably petrol if I can convince him diesel is smelly horrible stuff.

Thanks.

The V5C doesn't actually need to have a NI address, IF you have proof that it was in NI on/before 31/12/2020. Such proof seems to include ferry ticket with car reg thereon, shipping / consignment note where a transporter was used. Dealer to dealer invoices, again showing appropriate information, may also be accepted.

If you can find a good example of hybrid, PHEV or fully electric, you'll get lower VRT & Nox charges.

Isambard wrote: »
    I would think actually finding a suitable car to purchase in NI will be increasingly difficult with everyone looking for them.The supply of cars brought into NI before 2021 must be drying up and you'll be paying VAT and possibly Import Duty on any 2021 import to NI from GB.

Over time, NI will indeed dry up as a source of young, fresh, used stock. There's maybe 2 or 3 years left in it. After that, Japan will become an important source again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

It's interesting that if you buy a TV for example in the north that was imported from GB then no other taxes are paid. Nothing.
    Yet vehicles are hit with all kinds of extra taxes.

It's interesting that if you buy a TV for example in the north that was imported from GB then no other taxes are paid. Nothing.

Yes.. Motorists as a group are seen as a cash cow by the taxers, a huge evil by the environmentalists, and a lever of control by the Civil Service Mandarins... The latter would have us all driving around in trabants, (as their means of kicking down) if they could, except of course for all the 'good people' to whom they kiss up, who would all be driving Roll Royce (because in their world, they deserve them).

When all three collide, they turn the screw a bit more, and then another little bit!

And, as a people, we accept it, quietly for the most part! Until there's a movement for fairness of treatment for motorists, sadly I don't see it changing.. We still vote and allow the same policies and laws that enable it. NO political party has expressed ANY interest in creating such fairness IMO!

well in theory there are taxes due on GB goods bought from wherever, just it isn't always enforceable without border controls, the VRT process makes it feasible to collect tax on motor cars. Try buying a TV from ebay.co.uk and you'll find you are charged. Buying a GB TV via NI and bringing it over the border is in effect smuggling that a blind eye is turned to. Revenue have said however that all taxes will be enforced from July, so things might change,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

well in theory there are taxes due on GB goods bought from wherever, just it isn't always enforceable without border controls, the VRT process makes it feasible to collect tax on motor cars. Try buying a TV from ebay.co.uk and you'll find you are charged. Buying a GB TV via NI and bringing it over the border is in effect smuggling that a blind eye is turned to. Revenue have said however that all taxes will be enforced from July, so things might change,,

Have revenue said how they will enforce it when no border control?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is there much value to be had in buying up north? Say a 17 or 18 normal mid size family car?
    Prev I'd have been over to mainland to get last 3 cars over last decade. Used it as a piss up with a mate as well.
    Need to change up now again but wondering is there value in changing to North? From the skimming of posts here others aren't happy with north option?
    Cheers lads.

Much smaller pool of vehicles to choose from compared to in GB. The price of cars has also shot up due to falling sales in new vehicles over the past 24 months and a current shortage of certain components.

It'll really depend on the type of car you're looking for too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The dealers in north have jacked up the prices of their NI regs stock over the past few months, knowing the will attract ROI buyers.
    You can see lower spec NI regs going for more than higher spec UK regs now.

I think the days of cheap high spec imports are over unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If you're living in the UK and own a car, what's the story if you're moving back to Ireland want to bring it home, will it still attract VAT & VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is there much value to be had in buying up north? Say a 17 or 18 normal mid size family car?
    Prev I'd have been over to mainland to get last 3 cars over last decade. Used it as a piss up with a mate as well.
    Need to change up now again but wondering is there value in changing to North? From the skimming of posts here others aren't happy with north option?
    Cheers lads.

I brought a 181 auris down for 2180 euro vrt and nox. Saved between 4 and 5,500 on what they charging down south.

Advertisement