Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

What happens if is my friend who sell it to me? Should I get an invoice from her too? Also, she will probably sell it to me very cheap but I could even ask her to reduce the amount in the invoice if that means to pay less custom duties. Would it be a problem with a very low price?
    Cheers

This is a bit dated but some useful information in it potentially:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=75840862

I don’t know what the situation is with private sales, I’m assuming revenue have something in place prevent buyers from evading duty and vat, I know that’s not what you are trying to do, but imagine someone who knows someone in the UK and they bought on your behalf and just gifted you the car you wanted or sold you a near new car for €20 with a written receipt leaving you with a tax bill of about €8 instead of €8k. Of course it’s tax evasion, but has revenue got a system in place to prevent this? I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭User1998

Speedline wrote: »
    There have been lads doing this with jap imports for years. A certain group of lads twigged the method involved, and ripped the piss out of it to the extent that revenue cottoned on to it.

They are well wide to it now.

Exactly. This is why I mentioned it

I don’t know what the situation is with private sales, I’m assuming revenue have something in place prevent buyers from evading duty and vat, I know that’s not what you are trying to do

He said he is going to ask her to reduce to invoice price so he can pay less customs, and talks about how he won’t get caught.

He is clearly trying to evade paying the relevant taxes

They have all the prices of cars on file and if a car is significantly cheaper than it should be it triggers alarm bells

I don’t care what he does but he will most likely get caught if he tries to take the piss with Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Do the have different price bands for cars based on where the are bought.

For example, if you buy a car in a main dealer it will cost most, cheaper at a car supermarket, cheaper again at an auction and cheaper again with a private sale.

There could be a few thousand in the difference between a main dealer and a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

User1998 wrote: »
    Your offers will most likely be declined. UK and NI prices generally are not negotiable. Dealers up North know that they have the upper hand now since Brexit so they have no reason to accept offers even more so than before

But regards the questions you have as long as the car was in Northern Ireland before Brexit it will qualify for VRT only. The car doesn’t have to be registered up there. So ask the dealer have they proof of this

If they're rebuffed then fine. That's the benefit of having a wide criteria. If one makes an offer then I could go with that
    Do I need to concern myself with nox details if the car is NI qualified for import? I assume yes.

• Advertisement

You are looking at 2017 onwards cars so Nox is not an issue. Anything from late 2015 onwards only has Nox of around €150 to €300, the maximum it can be is €600 but very few cars would come close to that.

Just make sure the Nox value is actually on the v5 logbook. I think from 2019 onwards its not on the v5 anymore or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Apologies if this has been covered already, but is it still worthwhile to import a (non plug in) hybrid from the UK?

Other half is considering either a 2018/19
    Toyota rav 4 self charging hybrid
    Or a
    Mitsubishi outlander phev .

The phev still seems to be worth importing but I'm not sure about the self charging Toyota.

Anyone here have recent experience or knowledge of this? Appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I am after searching the thread and can only find similar in this post

So asking a new.
    Is there a central online database that shows the relevant Nox figure that can be entered on the Revenues VRT inputs?
    Don't want any sh**ty surprises and be in a twist trying to retrieve relevant info.

I am after searching the thread and can only find similar in this post

So asking a new.
    Is there a central online database that shows the relevant Nox figure that can be entered on the Revenues VRT inputs?
    Don't want any sh**ty surprises and be in a twist trying to retrieve relevant info.

I don't know if there's a list but you can just enter in the figures and the charge will change as you know. That VRT calculator is a lottery for the most part.

they'll take this if you can find the specific car

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

failing that I took one to a authorised dealer and they gave me a signed letter with the VIN of the car stating the emissions.

Just to let you know, the VRT people haven't a breeze, I got my quote for NOx €4850 as the V5 had no NOx stated, I pointed out I had the print out, then said it was still coming up as €4850. I had to explain to them they might have the wrong unit put in and it was 50mg/km and not 50g/km. I seemed to be training her in on the system. She said nothing, totally nonchalant, then gave me a NOx charge €4500 less, seemed to be a total non-issue with her that I would pay the full €4850 originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Based upon the invoice you get, so a lot of underinvoicing going on apparently.

Which by the way, had a thought, this might be one for any tax experts, and this is just a thought, I’ve absolutely no intentions of doing it.

For example, what would happen if you bought a UK registered car post brexit and liable for taxes from a dealer for £15k, then traded it in automatically to same dealer for £14k for another car worth £15k. Your invoice would essentially state you purchased the new car for £1k, you wouldn’t be liable to pay vat and duty as you’d never have brought it into ROI. so would your euro equivalent in vat and customs be just 33% resulting in £333.33?

Loophole or tax fraud. If it’s a loophole I’d imagine revenue will be on to it quick enough.

No, the U.K. dealer would issue you with an invoice for the full price and note the trade in and cash payment. Anything else would have him up in front of the beak under the Fraud Act 2006 not to mind any number of revenue offences for improper VAT accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The most galling part about the whole NOx (and VRT) situation is that the VRT Centre have a full exhaustive list of all the details for each and every vehicle on the market but we have to work like dogs to try and track down the information needed.

When I was VRTing my car in April I had put in the details of the 2015 model rather than the 2018 one and it was about €150 cheaper than what the VRT wanted. She was able to pull a huge list showing all the relevant details for the model to show how it was calculated. Yet we can't access it ourselves with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Question on road tax.

When does wltp apply for vrt and road tax purposes ?
    Is it for all cars imported from 2021 onwards even if the car is a 2017 model for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Curious as to how it works if I happened to win a UK car that hasn't been in Ni before brexit.... Would I be charged Vat on omsp or on the ticket entry cost?
    The answer might stop me buying r kings tickets lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Curious as to how it works if I happened to win a UK car that hasn't been in Ni before brexit.... Would I be charged Vat on omsp or on the ticket entry cost?
    The answer might stop me buying r kings tickets lol

Maybe they will be looking for an invoice from R Kings (or whoever) purchasing it. I don't know , but it won't be taxed on the ticket price for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Isambard wrote: »
    Maybe they will be looking for an invoice from R Kings (or whoever) purchasing it. I don't know , but it won't be taxed on the ticket price for sure.

Thanks I just wondered is there a possible loophole there

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Thanks I just wondered is there a possible loophole there

Its not really a loophole. If the car only costs you €20 then you don’t pay vat or customs. Same as if you buy a pair of shoes

User1998 wrote: »
    Its not really a loophole. If the car only costs you €20 then you don’t pay vat or customs. Same as if you buy a pair of shoes

well if that's the case, raffles will get very popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gussieg

any chance parcel motel or parcel wizard will start up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would be hard to fit a car in a parcel motel or parcel wizard locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

if importing a GB reg car, already in NI just this year, do you have to pay customs tax in NI as well as in the south?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gussieg

soory didnt realise which forum this was in!

slipperyox wrote: »
    if importing a GB reg car, already in NI just this year, do you have to pay customs tax in NI as well as in the south?

a UK car in NI from after 1st Jan will attract, on import to the Republic, Vat plus import duty if it was built other than in the UK plus VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slipperyox wrote: »
    No, only in the south.

Cost price £24,995
    Transport £200?
    Total cost £25,200 / €29,300
    10% customs €2,930
    23% VAT €7,400
    Customs broker fee €150
    Tax NCT €200
    Total cost €40,000 + VRT

You can get a similar one here for under €30k

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27685806

fatmax wrote: »

33% of invoice price so about an additional €9500 in vat and duty on top of NOx and VRT. Unless you are VAT registered and the car is VAT qualifying so you can reclaim the 20% UK VAT. Either way, can’t see it being worth it even if it is VAT qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

33% of invoice price so about an additional €9500 in vat and duty on top of NOx and VRT. Unless you are VAT registered and the car is VAT qualifying so you can reclaim the 20% UK VAT. Either way, can’t see it being worth it even if it is VAT qualifying.

35.3% of (invoice price plus shipping) plus associated import costs plus Nox plus VRT plus NCT

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    35.3% of (invoice price plus shipping) plus associated import costs plus Nox plus VRT plus NCT

wheres that extra 2.3% coming from? not that I doubt its appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

There is vat on the customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just how the maths works out.. The Customs duty is 10% of landed net cost, and the vat is 23% of the landed gross cost incl Customs Duty. If say landed cost in 10,000, then Duty is (10,000 *10%)=1,000; VAT is (11,000*23%)= 2,530. Total Duty +VAT = (1,000+2,530)=3,530, i.e. 35.3% of the initial 10,000...

As my maths teacher used to say with a great flourish:

Q.E.D.

:D

Advertisement