Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭User1998

€300 lol, the Nox charge alone is €4,850.

It would cost at least €23k the clear that car. The only way to import one of those is to re classify it as a 2 seater commercial. No Nox charge and 13.3% VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

User1998 wrote: »
    €300 lol, the Nox charge alone is €4,850.

It would cost at least €23k the clear that car. The only way to import one of those is to re classify it as a 2 seater commercial. No Nox charge and 13.3% VRT

Thanks.
    Thats why I asked here!

There is one over in Murphy doyle that they are classifing as a commercial ,probably not regged yet, but has no seats/belts removed.
    But wouldnt I then have to reclassify it as a non commercial then after a year when I go to tax it?
    JUst pushing getting stung down the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you reclassify a commercial as a private vehicle then you will be liable for additional taxes such as VAT and VRT that come with privately classed vehicles. If it were as easy as that then the whole country would be doing it. They are also very strict now on what can be classed as a commercial vehicle. Long gone are the days when you can just blank the rear windows and remove the seat and seatbelts to change a vehicle to commercial for VRT purposes and then put them back in afterwards. The new VRT/Nox charges on imports also are now specifically in place to discourage importing Chelsea tractors like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Is it worth it inporting the cars? Seems to be a lot of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you reclassify a commercial as a private vehicle then you will be liable for additional taxes such as VAT and VRT that come with privately classed vehicles. If it were as easy as that then the whole country would be doing it. They are also very strict now on what can be classed as a commercial vehicle. Long gone are the days when you can just blank the rear windows and remove the seat and seatbelts to change a vehicle to commercial for VRT purposes and then put them back in afterwards. The new VRT/Nox charges on imports also are now specifically in place to discourage importing Chelsea tractors like that.

you'd also have to declare you would only use it for commercial purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

W123-80's wrote: »
    Just an update for anyone interested.

My registration process was not completed yesterday in the NCT centre as they would not accept the invoice from the transport company as proof the car entered NI prior to Jan 1 2021.
    Despite it being a completely legit invoice on company headed paper showing all relevant details;
    Date, Car details, truck drivers name, collection address, delivery address, sailing time, sailing operator, sailing reference and company stamp.

The guy in the the NCT said revenue wouldn't accept it even though it is clearly stated on the nct website as valid proof. I asked him had he been in touch with revenue and he said he had. I found that hard to believe as he had my paperwork for approx 6 minutes!
    He said a hand written invoice would not be accepted. So I said grand I'll get them to type one up and he then changed tack and said revenue would't accept it all all.
    When I pointed out it said on the NCT website that it was listed as valid proof he shrugged his shoulders and said he doesn't make the rules and to take it up with revenue.
    I found the whole thing very strange to be honest.

Why would it say its an acceptable form of proof that the car has entered NI prior to Jan 1st 2021 if its not acceptable?

Anyway, he told me the invoice between the dealer from where he bought the car should get it over the line. So I am getting that this morning and I am re-booked for Friday.

It all seems a bit haphazard and as much down to the guy doing the inspections discretion as any rules which is not the way it should be.

Update on the update!

Got the car onto Irish plates.
    There was a different chap on duty in the NCT centre for my second VRT examination.
    I had all the paperwork including the additional invoice between the dealer I bought the car off the the place he bought the car.

This chap flicks through all my paperwork, comes to the dealer to dealer invoice and flicks straight past it. He comes to the invoice from the fleet company that delivered the car into NI and said 'This is the one I need'.
    I had that invoice at the first examination!!:pac:

Anyway, after it was all done and I had paid the fee I asked him which invoice was needed he said the transport invoice but it was no harm to have both.

Clear as mud.

Tread carefully folks as its in the hands of the VRT examiner, which is a far from perfect situation when you have thousands of euro at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

I'm looking at bringing in a cheap BMW X5 from the UK to break for the engine etc.,

if its taxed & MOT'd will I get hit for Vat..,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kop77 wrote: »
    I'm looking at bringing in a cheap BMW X5 from the UK to break for the engine etc.,

10% duty on purchase price plus transport cost, then 23% VAT on top of that, then VRT and Nox. If you're not going to Reg it, you'd probably get away with just duty and VAT.

Of course, the legal position would require payment of Duty & Vat, but if it was just driven in and was then broken up, how would anyone know, assuming it wasn't stopped by customs at the port of entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tafadali

Hi all

Have found this forum excellent in recent months, some serious knowledge on here. I've just bought a car in NI and it was registered there in 2018, a rarity but I'm thrilled to get it. However obviously there's no shipping invoice as a result.

The v5c shows the owner as ths finance company care of the dealer, all in the north, will that be enough proof for revenue?

Thanks in advance

Tafadali wrote: »
    Hi all

Have found this forum excellent in recent months, some serious knowledge on here. I've just bought a car in NI and it was registered there in 2018, a rarity but I'm thrilled to get it. However obviously there's no shipping invoice as a result.

The v5c shows the owner as ths finance company care of the dealer, all in the north, will that be enough proof for revenue?

Thanks in advance

all good I'd say ! Make sure the dealer gives you a proper invoice though.

• Advertisement

kop77 wrote: »

just drive it in, I would. Doubt they'll stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tafadali

Isambard wrote: »
    all good I'd say ! Make sure the dealer gives you a proper invoice though.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Do revenue cross check shipping invoices, if there happened to be an error with dates what would happen

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Do revenue cross check shipping invoices, if there happened to be an error with dates what would happen

VRT person told me that since Brexit hand written shipping invoices are no longer accepted and the invoices need to have all relevant details, booking id, truck registration etc so that Revenue can cross check the info. My hand written shipping doc was refused so there must be some truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

VRT person told me that since Brexit hand written shipping invoices are no longer accepted and the invoices need to have all relevant details, booking id, truck registration etc so that Revenue can cross check the info. My hand written shipping doc was refused so there must be some truth in it[/quote

Thanks I doubted it would be that easy of a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

So I’m looking at an X5 from dealer in NI, car has 8k miles, is over 6 months, VRT at 37% with nox charge ~ €29k. So now I need to add another 10% for customs and 23% VAT (presumably calculated from purchase price excl VRT?).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

omri wrote: »
    So I’m looking at an X5 from dealer in NI, car has 8k miles, is over 6 months, VRT at 37% with nox charge ~ €29k. So now I need to add another 10% for customs and 23% VAT (presumably calculated from purchase price excl VRT?).

How old is it and does it qualify as being in NI prior to january 2021.

mickdw wrote: »
    How old is it and does it qualify as being in NI prior to january 2021.

June 2020 bmw dealership in Belfast.

In NI before 2021 = no VAT or import duty

Isambard wrote: »
    In NI before 2021 = no VAT or import duty

Ok so if its 2021 model in NI is it 10% duty + 23% VAT on top of VRT ?

• Advertisement

if used and it entered NI after first Jan, yes. I took you to mean the Dealer acquired it in June 2020.

If it was new this year in NI , I wouldn't be sure of the situation, I'd suspect it would be tax/duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So 2020 registered.
    The only way to be sure is to query with the dealer whether it has been in NI since before jan 2021 and if so confirm that they will back that up with suitable paperwork.
    If its an original NI car since new, its fine - no vat or duty.
    If dealer can confirm that its in NI since before brexit, its fine - No vat or duty.
    If taken into NI in 2021, vrt, vat, nox and duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Guys.... our Company want to buy a 5 year old Truck/ Lorry in the UK and bring it into Ireland. The truck will probably cost £60k as seen. We are registered for VAT so that is not a problem. How do I find the Duty rates applicable??
    I am ‘hearing’ Rates of 22% on Duty which we don’t want to get caught out on when truck arrives in the port. Truck getting too expensive now!!

And how do I find what type of truck Do Not attract cDuty if there is such a list??

Many thanks

Duty is 10% and NI registered or UK built trucks don’t attract the 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

How come Republic of Ireland car dealers can still import cars direct from mainland UK to ROI and still make it financially viable?

I refer to this dealer in Monaghan importing 5 series and E classes etc and posting a load of cars just landed from the UK. Am I missing something ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQHSHNRHOil/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

How come Republic of Ireland car dealers can still import cars direct from mainland UK to ROI and still make it financially viable?

I refer to this dealer in Monaghan importing 5 series and E classes etc and posting a load of cars just landed from the UK. Am I missing something ?

Spotted too on instrgram yesterday and meant to ask the question here! 😂

Because they only have to pay 10% customs. Revenue cut them a deal with the VAT payment

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Because they only have to pay 10% customs. Revenue cut them a deal with the VAT payment

The last time I checked Monaghan was still part of the Republic of Ireland!

What Revenue VAT deal are you referring to ?

Can you include a reputable source ?

Well my accountant friend who works for car dealers and deals with Revenue told me. He said dealers can claim the 23% VAT back and just continue paying VAT on their profit margin as normal. How true it is I don’t know but dealers are still bringing in cars left right and centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Most likely these are ex-lease vehicles and would be VAT qualifying.

Advertisement