Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

wassie wrote: »
    Most likely these are ex-lease vehicles and would be VAT qualifying.

Correct, when you buy VAT qualifying cars from the likes of BCA Irish dealers don't pay UK VAT,

So that's why its still worth their while importing because the save 20% on the price of a car over the private buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭User1998

mgn wrote: »
    Correct, when you buy VAT qualifying cars from the likes of BCA Irish dealers don't pay UK VAT,

So that's why its still worth their while importing because the save 20% on the price of a car over the private buyer.

So how are dealers still importing 10 year old cars?

User1998 wrote: »
    So how are dealers still importing 10 year old cars?

The would have to pay the VAT on them, the NI dealers just carry on as the did before.

Very few Irish dealers importing cars that are not VAT qualifying now, the ones that are would only be paying a few hundred pounds extra on a 10 year old car, unless its a rare car or hard to source here.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

The would have to pay the VAT on them, the NI dealers just carry on as the did before.

Very few Irish dealers importing cars that are not VAT qualifying now, the ones that are would only be paying a few hundred pounds extra on a 10 year old car, unless its a rare car or hard to source here.

Can any Republic Irish VAT registered business buy a VAT qualifying car/van after January 2021 from the UK from another VAT registered business and avoid the 20% VAT?

I'm not fully up to date with how to deal with VAT appropriation from mainland UK since January 2021, but only on cars/vehicles registered nefore January 2021?

Can any Republic Irish VAT registered business buy a VAT qualifying car/van after January 2021 from the UK from another VAT registered business and avoid the 20% VAT?

I'm not fully up to date with how to deal with VAT appropriation from mainland UK since January 2021, but only on cars/vehicles registered nefore January 2021?

You can, but the problem now is trying to find the VAT qualifying ones or dealers that will do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

I am not vat registered if I was to get a Uk dealer to purchase a vat qualifying car at an auction for me would I be able to get it here without having to pay vat and have the hassle of trying to reclaim it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

What about if that 10 year old car has high NOx figures, does the dealer pay that when bringing into Republic?

What about if that 10 year old car has high NOx figures, does the dealer pay that when bringing into Republic?

Only older diesel cars have high Nox. Those cars aren’t being imported anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Only older diesel cars have high Nox. Those cars aren’t being imported anymore.

What about an older petrol car, does the dealer pay the NOx charge on that when bringing into the republic?

What about an older petrol car, does the dealer pay the NOx charge on that when bringing into the republic?

The Nox 'levy' was introduced in January 2020 and has nothing to do with Brexit, neither does VRT. VRT and Nox are only paid when the car is being registered with the Irish registration.

Only the 10% import duty and 23% VAT is as a result of Brexit! Import duty and VAT is charged at entry to the state on goods outside the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Max Nox charge on any petrol car would be €600.

Anyone know if classic cars (over 30) are exempt from the Nox?

Think it’s just €200 VRT and no nox. And vat and customs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Think it’s just €200 VRT and no nox. And vat and customs as well

Nox is an element of VRT so I'd say you're correct. VAT and Import duty apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm looking at buying a used Tesla Model S in the not too distant future. Of course UK prices and choice are way better than here. Would be looking at late 2016 or early 2017 model to take advantage of facelift and hardware/software upgrades but also retain the free Tesla Supercharging for life.

Am I right in thinking I'd be facing a huge bill importing from mainland Britain? Feck all selection up north if that's the only viable import option.

I think VRT is still €0 on them but yeah its still not worth it

I think VRT is still €0 on them but yeah its still not worth it

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
    VRT depends on market value and then there's a €5000 discount so just depends on the value they place on the actual car as to how much if anything you end up paying. I'm just wondering what other charges I'd be facing. VAT? Customs? Ball park how much?
    Like I could get a 162/171 90D in the UK for €45000, The same car here is €65000.

The €5k grant ended this year, but instead of 14% VRT its only 7% now. Just checked and the VRT is over €4k for a 2017 90D now.

Your looking at about €66,000+ on Irish plates assuming a cost price of €45,000

The €5k grant ended this year, but instead of 14% VRT its only 7% now. Just checked and the VRT is over €4k for a 2017 90D now.

Your looking at about €66,000+ on Irish plates assuming a cost price of €45,000

Can you post a link to that info about the VRT? This is what I was going on from the Revenue website:
    Series production passenger cars or commercial vehicles (VRT categories A and B) that are:

powered only by an electric motor
    and
    registered before 31 December 2021
    are eligible for relief from VRT up to a maximum amount of €5,000.

Vehicles with an Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) of up €40,000 will be granted relief of up to €5,000. Vehicles with an OMSP of greater than €40,000 but less than €50,000 will receive a reduced level of relief. Reliefs have been removed for any electric vehicles above €50,000.

Can anyone advise exactly what you are liable for in terms of Vat/Customs? And how that differs for an import from NI?

Check the calculator yourself, its 7% VRT at €4k

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

And its 10% customs and 23% VAT. Total cost is at least €66k if the cost price is €45k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can you post a link to that info about the VRT? This is what I was going on from the Revenue website:

Can anyone advise exactly what you are liable for in terms of Vat/Customs? And how that differs for an import from NI?

10% import duty
    23% VAT

Both of the above are on the cost price plus transport costs to get the car here.

Then you have to pay VRT of 7% on the OMSP. This is a notional figure from revenue - you can see it on the revenue vrt website (note - not vrt.ie as this is a commercial scam site making you pay for free info).

The 5k grant is gone for Tesla (and any other EV with an original OMSP over 50k)

So lets say you paid 32.5k euro for the car and 500€ cost on plane + return ferry.
    33k Euro * 10% import duty = 36.3k
    36.3k* 23% vat = 44.6k
    VRT/Revenue OMSP (up for debate, but based on my import of a 2016 S90D in 2019 I paid 2500 vrt , or 7500 before the grant based on 14% VRT) therefore 7% VRT is guesstimated at 7500/2 or 3750.

Total price on a €32500 car (relatively cheap S at £28k)

= €48,399 landed

Check the calculator yourself, its 7% VRT at €4k

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

And its 10% customs and 23% VAT. Total cost is at least €66k if the cost price is €45k

Cheers, seems the revenue need to update the info on their website so.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    10% import duty
    23% VAT

Both of the above are on the cost price plus transport costs to get the car here.

Then you have to pay VRT of 7% on the OMSP. This is a notional figure from revenue - you can see it on the revenue vrt website (note - not vrt.ie as this is a commercial scam site making you pay for free info).

The 5k grant is gone for Tesla (and any other EV with an original OMSP over 50k)

So lets say you paid 32.5k euro for the car and 500€ cost on plane + return ferry.
    33k Euro * 10% import duty = 36.3k
    36.3k* 23% vat = 44.6k
    VRT/Revenue OMSP (up for debate, but based on my import of a 2016 S90D in 2019 I paid 2500 vrt , or 7500 before the grant based on 14% VRT) therefore 7% VRT is guesstimated at 7500/2 or 3750.

Total price on a €32500 car (relatively cheap S at £28k)

= €48,399 landed

Thanks for all that. Looks like a complete non runner so. And am I correct in thinking there would be no customs owed on a NI import (as long as the car was originally a Northern registered car or was imported pre brexit/post brexit with fees paid)?

This is a real shame. Much better choice and value in the UK. Vast majority of the few model S for sale here on the second hand market are 60KWh or 70KWh which don't suit my commute. Would need the 85KwHr for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, no vat or import duty importing from NI once the car was there before 31/12/2020 (or imported correctly since with VAT paid).

Good ones (85-90) come up from time to time but they go so much quicker. I sold my S90D to a boardsie within 10 days of listing it. It was a bit higher miles but had a load of work done and I sold it for my asking price, at the time the cheapest facelift and cheapest 85/90 on donedeal.

The ones you see sitting there month after month (eg the red S85 in Yomac, the 172 S70 on G plates, the one with the 4 seat pack on G plates) are overpriced and dont sell for that reason. Wait for a well priced S85/D or S90D if you need the range, they do come up.

There's a S85 on autocar in the north for £28k with free supercharging SC01 but no AP.

Yes, no vat or import duty importing from NI once the car was there before 31/12/2020 (or imported correctly since with VAT paid).

Good ones (85-90) come up from time to time but they go so much quicker. I sold my S90D to a boardsie within 10 days of listing it. It was a bit higher miles but had a load of work done and I sold it for my asking price, at the time the cheapest facelift and cheapest 85/90 on donedeal.

The ones you see sitting there month after month (eg the red S85 in Yomac, the 172 S70 on G plates, the one with the 4 seat pack on G plates) are overpriced and dont sell for that reason. Wait for a well priced S85/D or S90D if you need the range, they do come up.

There's a S85 on autocar in the north for £28k with free supercharging SC01 but no AP.

Thanks that's great info. I didn't realise there would be no vat on the NI import. I've an alert set on DoneDeal, will have to keep an eye on AutoTrader and usedcarsNI too. I've seen that S85 alright but I've my mind made up that AutoPilot is a deal breaker. 150km of motorway commute each way would warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

...but had a load of work done

I know Teslas don't have the best reputation for some things and was just curious what sort of work was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 welshireland

Hello All,

Looking for advice, every couple years I import a 2 litre diesel Vw in from the UK myself.

Last time i brought in a Golf gtd 184bhp and am now looking to upgrade the years and bring in the same sort of car again.
    Along with the VRT is their import duty also now from the uk but no import duty and just VRT if i bring it in from garage/person in northern Ireland?

Also what diesel engines are low in Nox so the vrt won't be high ?

Thanks a million,

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Imports from NI are the same as before providing the vehicle has been on the island before January of this year.

All Euro 6 engines have low NOx charges.

Imports from NI are the same as before providing the vehicle has been on the island before January of this year.

All Euro 6 engines have low NOx charges.

I find it amazing the number of NI dealers that specifically state that their cars for sale are exempt from Import duty/VAT as apparently they were in NI before 1st January 2021 yet doing a history check shows a new V5 was issued in 2021.

Having a car on a forecourt for over 6 months isn't the best business practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I find it amazing the number of NI dealers that specifically state that their cars for sale are exempt from Import duty/VAT as apparently they were in NI before 1st January 2021 yet doing a history check shows a new V5 was issued in 2021.

Having a car on a forecourt for over 6 months isn't the best business practice!

they won't be getting away with that for much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Am I right in saying the 23% VAT is added on to the price of the car + the VRT. i.e. car cost 20k, VRT at 6k, so 23% of 26k is added?

Advertisement