Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

py2006 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the 23% VAT is added on to the price of the car + the VRT. i.e. car cost 20k, VRT at 6k, so 23% of 26k is added?

No. The Vat is added to the landed price ((cost of vehicle + transport to Irl) + duty). The VRT/NOX is added seperately to the car based on Revenue's OMSP estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    No. The Vat is added to the landed price ((cost of vehicle + transport to Irl) + duty). The VRT/NOX is added seperately to the car based on Revenue's OMSP estimate.

Oh thanks for that.

Do you know roughly how much transport to Irl costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭User1998

It was around €400 to €500 plus VAT, but I’m guessing it might be slightly higher now since Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Is Vat applied if you won the car in one of the those raffles, say from NI company?
    Seen as the vehicle technically only cost you the ticket price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

rodge123 wrote: »
    Is Vat applied if you won the car in one of the those raffles, say from NI company?

no one knows, you'll have to win to find out I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

route66 wrote: »
    I know Teslas don't have the best reputation for some things and was just curious what sort of work was involved?
    €6k of work, suspension, brakes, tires, mcu2 upgrade, other minor things

Slightly confused (again) with regard the 10% duty. Is that on all cars? I thought I read it was on new cars (6 months or less) or cars below a certain mileage. :confused:

I am looking at a 2017 car and trying to work out the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is story with returning property you own to Ireland. 7 years ago I gave a relative a jcb forklift for a project, now I want to bring it home as they're finished with it.
    ??

Slightly confused (again) with regard the 10% duty. Is that on all cars? I thought I read it was on new cars (6 months or less) or cars below a certain mileage. :confused:

I am looking at a 2017 car and trying to work out the cost.

the 10% is on cars imported from the UK but not built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tafadali

Tafadali wrote: »
    Hi all

Have found this forum excellent in recent months, some serious knowledge on here. I've just bought a car in NI and it was registered there in 2018, a rarity but I'm thrilled to get it. However obviously there's no shipping invoice as a result.

The v5c shows the owner as ths finance company care of the dealer, all in the north, will that be enough proof for revenue?

Thanks in advance

Isambard replied "all good I'd say ! Make sure the dealer gives you a proper invoice though"

Just an update...all went fine, i had dealer invoice and they gave me a doc from 2018 showing car registered in NI. Vrt centre didn't even ask anything, price was as per vrt calculator...relief! Thanks again for the reassurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

How can I check the car has no Import duty/VAT as above ? The car I'm interested is from 2016 and was imported into NI before the end of 2020. The dealer assures me there's none due but the previous post has me worried.

bobgaf wrote: »
    How can I check the car has no Import duty/VAT as above ? The car I'm interested is from 2016 and was imported into NI before the end of 2020. The dealer assures me there's none due but the previous post has me worried.

you need paperwork, a previous receipt or a ferry ticket, maybe it's registered to an NI address on the V5

Isambard wrote: »
    the 10% is on cars imported from the UK but not built there.

So landrover and jags are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Speedline

Lots of Nissan and toyotas were built there too.

Speedline wrote: »
    Lots of Nissan and toyotas were built there too.

Ah good, I am looking at a Nissan actually

Ah good, I am looking at a Nissan actually

check it is a UK built one.

check it is a UK built one.

How can you tell? :confused:

I assume Landrovers and Jags are built there?

Not all of them

User1998 wrote: »
    Not all of them

AFAIK the LR Discovery was moved to Slovakia in 2019.

Here's a Wikipedia page on Nissan cars made in UK..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Motor_Manufacturing_UK

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

The answer is probably somewhere in the thread. My question is fairly straightforward, would you save me going through 246 pages? :)

A used car (2003), imported from UK to NI this week, then registered in NI, and subsequently sold to ROI.
    Is it liable to VAT and Customs duty?

Or is it just VRT to be paid?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

homik wrote: »
    The answer is probably somewhere in the thread. My question is fairly straightforward, would you save me going through 246 pages? :)

A used car (2003), imported from UK to NI this week, then registered in NI, and subsequently sold to ROI.
    Is it liable to VAT and Customs duty?

Or is it just VRT to be paid?

Many thanks

Its liable to Customs Duty (if it is not made/mostly made in GB) & VAT here IF those weren't paid on landing in NI (highly unlikely they were). Then, add VRT/Nox

There!! That's 246 pages you owe me!!

How can you tell? :confused:

I assume Landrovers and Jags are built there?

check the VIN number. (might even be written in plain language on the VIN plate

check the VIN number. (might even be written in plain language on the VIN plate

Not sure that was in the advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

rodge123 wrote: »

Lad I work with won a GLE this week on one of those competitions. VAT/ VRT and Duty was working out at €24-ish k.

What year was the GLE? The VRT alone would easily be €24k on a newer model so I’m guessing there was no VAT/Customs

did he have to pay VRT himself or did thee raffle people pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

User1998 wrote: »
    What year was the GLE? The VRT alone would easily be €24k on a newer model so I’m guessing there was no VAT/Customs

Trying to remember, but I'm thinking 2019. I'll double check.

Edit: Just checked, and yeah, it was 2019.
    did he have to pay VRT himself or did thee raffle people pay?

No, it was up to him to pay. He decided to take cash instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

When buying a car in the UK now will dealers take off the UK vat payable on cars or how does that work?

Considering going over for a car, but I'm not sure its worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

DuckSlice wrote: »
    When buying a car in the UK now will dealers take off the UK vat payable on cars or how does that work?

Considering going over for a car, but I'm not sure its worth it anymore.

good question
    I was wondering this myself if the UK dealer can certify it is being exported so doesnt charge VAT??? that would make it still cost effective to import a used car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

wpd wrote: »
    good question
    I was wondering this myself if the UK dealer can certify it is being exported so doesnt charge VAT??? that would make it still cost effective to import a used car

Yea that was my thinking, you shouldn't be getting hit for VAT twice. Or is there no VAT charged on 2nd cars in the UK and its just charged when new.

Advertisement