Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not as simple as just being built in the UK. Something like 60% of the vehicle's components have to be from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If enough % of the car was built in the UK, then no Customs Duty. Full Vat & VRT/NoX will still apply, I'm sorry to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

thanks i thought VAT was zeroed as well

More or less correct, unless you happened on a low NoX bargain, registered and owned in NI before 1.1.2021.

Since it's coming from a country outside the Euro common market VAT is liable. You need to get a UK dealer to sell it to you at minus UK VAT so that you only pay Irish VAT. Most won't want the hassle of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Hi just wondering what people think? Is it worth going up to the North to buy a car and paying the VRT. I have about 10k euros to spend. Looking for a merc or bmw automatic. Have been looking on carzone, but everything quite expensive even with lots of owners and high mileage. I just thought if somebody here was happy with their purchase and if they felt they did well money wise. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Generally, no. Prices have increased in NI too, and with only €10k to spend you may have to purchase a 2016+ to avoid hefty Nox tax as well as VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

And majority of the cars for sale up there are English.

So due duty and VAT with VRT and NOX

If the 10k is to include the likes of VRT and NOX then it's not worth going the import route. Realistically your looking at having to buy a 6k/7k which is even less in GB£. That's a 10 year old plus BMW/Merc really. Anything pre 2016 or older with a Euro 5 engine will be heavily penalised with the NOX charge alone. They don't want these old heavy polluting cars being imported anymore.

€10k amounts to around £8k+. I can't imagine you getting much value for that kind of money - Probably a 10+year old. Then add VRT/NoX. Check auto trader online & filter for NI cars.

• Advertisement

Usually has a lot more NI cars than Autotrader

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tomcat007

Am returning from overseas and need to get a family car. Have a couple of questions if someone could help.

1. When I arrive in ROI I am looking at importing from Northern Ireland (seems to be better deals)....As I have been overseas (non UK and EU) for the past 8 years would this help me to avoid VRT? Even if I bought the car 6 months in advance of me arriving home?
    2. I have been looking at particular models and inserted these into the VRT calculator and have got hugely contrasting VRT figures - one spec has a VRT= EUR 5k and another slightly different spec VRT= EUR 20K. If I chose a car in NI is there a way I can be 100% certain of the VRT cost before I purchase it. The last thing I want is a major shock when the official VRT calculator is done by revenue.

Thanks in advance

1. To avoid paying VRT you need to qualify for a VRT exemption. To qualify you need proof that the car was in your name and in everyday use for at least 6 months in your current country of residence prior to applying for the exemption.
    2. If you don't qualify for a VRT exemption then you will pay VRT and NOX charge normally as stated on the VRT calculator site. However as the mainland UK have left the EU you would be subject to Irish VAT and import duty tax on top of VRT and NOX taxes. As Norther Ireland is still part of the EU common market you would not be liable for Irish VAT and import duty if the car was either currently registered there or there if proof the car was brought into Northern Ireland before 01/01/2021.
    3. The VRT calculator is a rough guide and not set in stone. Make sure you have the correct specific details of the car entered correctly because this can through the figure off widely as you have found out. Also if your exact car is not the VRT system on the day of inspection they will send off a request for a figure to Revenue who could come back with any figure realistically. So be very careful what you are looking to import, anything with high emissions will attract a high VRT/NOX figure.

Thank you Bazz

So the reality is that even though I could have the full technical details of the car incl VIN no, NOX details and enter that into the VRT system, I still will not know the ‘real’ charge until I have it bought and present it to the VRT. A lot of risk if that’s the case.

Yep, in alot of cases it's exactly what the calculator says but if it's some model or trim not specifically already sold in Ireland then your into "finger in the air" type figures on the day.

What are you looking at importing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

What would i have to pay now if i bought a van from the north, is it a set vrt price or are there more charges now.

That's all, no customs charges?

Not unless the van was registered in the North after Brexit. Same rules apply as cars.

Haven't settled on any particular model just yet however been looking at Volvo XC90, Audi Q5, VW Allspace, Ford Edge etc. Something with a bit of room

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend places they have used before to purchase a used van in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Coincide

Anyone able to help calculate total cost to import this?

I understand the VRT but is there now more tax on top of that?

https://www.trustford.co.uk/used-car-details/used-ford-fiesta/id-1712/?SSPostcode=AL10%209WN

Irish VAT @23% and import duty @10% on the invoice price.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭techman

Hello,

If I want to buy a new car from a dealer in Northern Ireland, do I have to pay Customs Duty as well?

TIA.

Brand new?

If brand new you'd have to pay VAT, VRT and NOX

Probably not worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can buy it free of UK vat but still probably not going to work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

No 23% or 10% fee if you know the same people in the vrt as the dealers do...

This is false. Dealers know what cars are exempt from customs duty and also have access to VAT qualifying cars which have the 20% UK VAT refunded and the 10% customs waived.

A customs declaration still has to be submitted and 23% Irish VAT paid.

It has nothing to do with knowing someone in the VRT office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭techman

Contacted two main dealers in NI. Can only sell a new car if you have a registered address in the North.

Will not sell a new car to a customer from the Republic unless the car is taxed and registered at a UK address first.

Advertisement