Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This car isn't on donedeal, I want to see the methodology used, if it's on previous asking prices on donedeal that's taking the preverbial.

Question is can I force them to provide the data used.

I mean none for sale on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you dealt with them before?

You won't force them to do anything.

They will present you with a figure and tell you appeal after paying it if you are not happy.

The methodology is out there. I read the document a few years back. I don't really remember it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Really struggling to get info out of Mercedes. I need proof of location & date of manufacture for Customs. I've heard they can give a OASIS report which gives this info. My guess it's as simple as punching a VIN number to their systems. I called customer service in Dublin they said they wouldn't have info on UK imports 🤔 and gave me a UK number, they said customer service UK is in Dublin !!!

Anyway, does anyone have a contact in Merc that could produce a official doc with a car's location and date of manufacture. Ideally an OASIS report?

For info I haven't purchased yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I have just done this with a coc cert which was in the glovebox of the car,dealer scanned me a copy,submitted it to customs through my agent and they accepted it an hour later

• Advertisement

That's great thanks. The dealer doesn't have a COC, but said they can be got. I'll get onto him in the morning and sort it. I've decided for customs I'm looking to use "Customs Declaration Ireland", a guy there Patrick has been helpful.

Question, did you import from GB or NI

From gb,luckily car had the coc but can be got easily enough off mercedes uk i think

Their not very helpful. I called their IRL office and after selecting the menu on the ph I got customer service, explained I wanted an OASIS report and when they found out I was looking to import the shutters came down. Basically said they have no details on UK cars. Such a poor excuse, a VIN check on a car giving manufacturing details has nothing to do with the UK region. I guess they can punch that VIN into a PC and have a report in mins.

They could not help and gave me a UK number, eventually got someone in Norway through a ph menu system, very helpful person but she said that Mercedes EU customer support is based in Dublin and I should phone there 😐️.

The garage I'm buying off siad Mercedes won't be helpful as they don't want individuals exporting cars from UK to IRL.

Maybe the dealer could get it for you or i was going to try this company below if car didn't have it,89 euro--no idea about them

https://www.coceurope.eu/product-category/ecoc-m1-m2-m3/

• Advertisement

BMW UK say don't be scammed by such sites, certificate is free from them directly if a UK reg.

Looks like mercedes charge, still it's probably less than some 3rd party.

yes much safer way,surely dealer could get it emailed over to them from mercedes?

Surely there's a cheaper way...that's from the Mercedes UK site...

Certificate of Conformity (COC)

£144.00 (inc VAT)

Date of Manufacture Letter

£60.00 (inc VAT)

Date of Manufacture Letter - Classic Car

£156.00 (inc VAT)

Statement of Compliance for IVA

£240.00 (inc VAT)

V5C Correction

Free of charge

Euro 6 Letter

Free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭ginger22

You can get COC for free from Mercedes UK. Just go on their web site, click that you are exporting the car, select Ireland, enter UK reg number, engine and chassis number and they will have it posted from Germany for free. Takes about a week.

Thanks all for suggestions. I gave up with UK, Merc just making it difficult and not being able to postpone the IRL VAT is a big issue.

But the good news I've just purchased a CLA250e premium+ Sept2020 in NI. I get that in with no IRL vat and no duty, waiting for money to transfer and I'll drive back tonight 😁

Thks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robertG123

looking for some help. Considering purchasing a car from up North, A 4 series M440i to be exact. There is one on the VRT calculator giving me a figure however the Co2 is slightly off the car i am considering being slightly lower. From experience would this lead them to disregard the stat code and search the used classifieds or follow the given code. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

If the Co2 is different then it will need a new stat code.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Piano22

Hi I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

I'm looking at importing a Mercedes A180 or A200 from England or NI.

I'm struggling to understand the total charges such as customs, tax, vrt etc.

I've been looking at a car in a dealership in Manchester for £28990, he said they will deliver it to my door for £29620. I don't think that includes customs or anything else.

I'm also looking at a simular car in NI for £30995.

Which option would work out cheaper in the long run?

Would greatly appreciate any advice, thanks.

VAT and customs is 35.3% of the purchase price. The Northern Irish car will not have any VAT or customs as long as it was registered in Northern Ireland before Brexit

Thanks User1998.

Am I correct in saying that the English car would cost £29620 + £9863 (customs & VAT) = £39483 + VRT?

The NI car is a 2022 reg. that's after Brexit so will customs and vat apply to it?

• Advertisement

That would be correct.

For the NI car, it will only apply if it was first registered in mainland UK

So the NI car is a much better deal.

Thanks very much for your advise 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stephentracey

Hi .

just asking if anyone here has bought a vat qualifying car from the uk and used the

"personal export scheme " as a private individual with the help of the garage to claim the uk vat back before exporting the car to Ireland

thanks in advance

From my own research, I couldn't locate any garage operating the scheme in the UK.

There are export companies in UK who will handle the transaction but it will cost. From mid summer, there are vat changes coming that will mean dealers won't need to just deal with vat qualifying cars so stock might free up a bit. It's definitely top of the market now price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I'm looking to bring a commercial van in from the uk.can anyone tell me will I have to pay vat and nox and import charge or is it still 200€ flat rate for vans

I'd imagine it's vat, duty and flat rate vrt. No nox on commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

Has anybody imported a Land Rover and not had to pay duty due to it being of origin in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Has anyone imported recently? Just wondering what you are using for currency exchange and payment?

Looking at paying around £30k from a main dealer. Was considering using Revolut even if this meant multiple account transfers 🤷‍♂️

I've used https://app.currencyfair.com/login/login for yrs, good exchange rates, but you need to set it up, transfer in your Euro and convert to foreign currency on their site. Setup the bank you'll pay to and then you're ready to go. All that takes a couple of days for processing but can be done in advance if you have your mind made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I used Revolut recently for a car purchase there and it was excellent. A little bit of planning in regards to getting the money over to Revolut but itll be the same to any currency transfer company. The instant bank transfer has been absolutely fantastic the last few times I used it for buying cars.

Advertisement